cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shock Absorber Question - Your opinion...

TheLostDutchman
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned my 2003 Hitchhiker since it was new - bought it in Oct 2002. While getting my rig ready for a long road trip, it dawned on me... my shocks are the factory originals, now 12 years old. They have approximately 45000 miles on them, some on not so great roads like the back country areas in Arizona and the Top Of The World Highway between Alaska and Canada.

I was wondering if, like tires, there is a recommended time to replace them, irrespective of outward appearance. There are no leaks, but I've never taken them off to see how they dampen. I know they cannot last forever, so I was wondering if there was a rule of thumb some of you might follow in a case like this, and what your recommendations are. I figure having them taken off to check and inspect would cost almost as much as installing new shocks to begin with. Thanks in advance for your input.

Bill
Bill & Nettie
U.S. Army (Retired)

16 REPLIES 16

Ruralgas
Explorer
Explorer
Hello:
Mine were about the same age and with probably only 20,000 miles; all highway.
Stuff seemed to move/bounce around in the trailer (5th wheel) much more than before.
Last fall I took the shocks off and OMG; I could extend and compress them easier than playing an accordion!! They weren't leaking, but were shot.
Put on 4 Monroe's, but haven't had the trailer out since. Will be making a trip shortly.
You'll have to pull them off and check them, but my money is that they will need replacing.
Good luck.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I don't think there's really a mileage interval.
I would check to make sure none of them are leaking oil. You could pull a couple of them to see if they've gone limp as well.