cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

short list of late model TH's we're considering.....help?

SkipStock
Explorer
Explorer
If I were to say my short list was starting to look like it consisted of these 3, Used, between 2012-2014 models, would anyone have opinions to share based on personal experience? Quality Control and Functionality?

Dutchman Voltage 3905
Forest River 395AMP
Grand Design Momentum 355TH

or others to consider?
12 REPLIES 12

SkipStock
Explorer
Explorer
Well we pulled the trigger on the 2010 Jayco Recon. extremely lightly used and in our budget.
AND local here in Alaska which is a plus. We were planning on driving bareback down the Hwy to Lower 48 and looking for a unit a the beginning our our Road Trip. This way at least we can get used to each other here at home and do some short test road trips and try to figure out some of the basics.
Thanks for all the opinions.
New to RV'g and this forum is a great resource.
thanks all
Skip

taken
Explorer
Explorer
My vote is for the 395amp. I'm biased as I have one on order. GD is a great rig but I don't care for the floor plans. Voltage are pretty I guess. You can prob do real well on a leftover instead of used too. 35+ % off is not a problem on ordering new so a leftover should be an even better deal...

As to pumaguy's slides, Voltage is known for slide issues due to using Schwintek electric slides instead of hydraulic. I ran my hydraulic super slide in and out more times than I can remember on my last rig in any position. Hooked to the truck at a road side stop, out of level, no jacks down, etc. it always went in and out flawlessly. Voltage has recently added a third track to their electric slides that has helped with their issues...
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Pumaguy
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2012 Voltage 3905. We did have some flooring problems with the slide, but have since determined it was from running the slide in without having the trailer leveled with the jacks down. Other than that, we've been happy. I was sold on the floorplan and still believe it is better built than nearly all we looked at when shopping.
I know many of the components are better in the Voltage, for instance check out the shower walls, the quality of the toilet, drawers with slides, latches for compartments, etc.
2012 Voltage 3905
2008 Ford F450

p19761976
Explorer
Explorer
Look at KZ mxt 303 plenty of room and light.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
HaulinBass02 wrote:
Having JUST looked at the Voltage side by side with a Cyclone (which I know isn't on your list) I would buy a Cyclone if you can find one in the floor plan you want. The dealer even admitted that as nice as the Voltage is, it isn't built as well as a Cyclone even though it is higher priced! I was once in the market for a TH and I looked at almost all of the brands over a year and kept coming back to Heartland Cyclone. Just my .02.

I don't care much for the Cyclones 2013 and later as they went to hinged doors on the front closet which in my opinion makes it harder to get into the closet.
From what I've seen of the three listed my choice would be the Grand Design.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't heard many good things about Dutchman. I've heard good things about Grand Design but I do believe they are quite a bit more expensive (most likely worth the extra $$$) My neighbor has a Heartland Road Warrior ( seems to be identical to the Cyclone) and it seems like it is very well built.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
My first choice of the ones you have listed would be the Grand Design based on what I have seen and read on the three.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

offtohavasu
Explorer
Explorer
From what I've been reading, Grand Design (Momentum) has top notch customer service.

SkipStock
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input all.........I'll check out the Cyclone as well
Any feeling one way or the other on Jayco?
Just found a 2010 Recon ZX I'm thinking of looking at.

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Forest River....

Ours Rocks!!!! It has subjected thru it all for 11 years....

Has my vote, built to last.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

Y-Guy
Of that list only the Grand Design is warrantied for full time use. Not that you plan on using it that way, but I think it says something about the company and build quality. Most others specifically will state they are for recreational (weekend) use only.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

HaulinBass02
Explorer
Explorer
Having JUST looked at the Voltage side by side with a Cyclone (which I know isn't on your list) I would buy a Cyclone if you can find one in the floor plan you want. The dealer even admitted that as nice as the Voltage is, it isn't built as well as a Cyclone even though it is higher priced! I was once in the market for a TH and I looked at almost all of the brands over a year and kept coming back to Heartland Cyclone. Just my .02.
2005 Ford Excursion 4x4 6.0L PSD
2021 KZ Connect SE 312BHKSE

Me (DH), DW, 3 boys, 3 girls