cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shorter toy haulers

cutty72
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, currently I have a 04 Jayco Talon 36Z.
It's a 39' 5th wheel TH, with a 12' garage and a super slide.
We really love the layout and space. I HATE towing it in the wind.
I would love to find a rig with a shorter overall height, I think even if I could get down to 10' height would help a lot.

Requirements:
-5th wheel / goose neck
-Pass through from LQ to garage area
-Slide out
-min 12' garage
-walled off garage area
-insulated and heated/AC garage area
-40' or less total length.

I have looked at Millennium trailers, but the problem I have is the longest LQ with a passthrough is 14'. Slides are minimal, and it still ends up being a 38' trailer.

Are there other options out there?

We use our garage as a second room for visitors/friends, or the dogs. Also for storage of the toys in bad weather.
Any input is appreciated. Not in any rush, just looking around for what the "next rig" will be.
26 REPLIES 26

p19761976
Explorer
Explorer
I have a KZ MXT 303 5700 dry. I pull it with F 150 Eco Boost no problems

Bedlam
Car haulers are typically rated for more payload with larger garages and based on commercial trailers verses toy haulers that are more RV based with a garage.

I originally was looking at these to upgrade my toy hauler when I started to to run out of garage space. The toy haulers that were open floor plan and had 18' or more garage were too heavy for my 3/4t truck, so I found these LQ haulers that could be 38' long yet 9000 lbs empty even when nicely outfitted. With these haulers, the draft is lower too so it would have worked well with my 15,000 lb gooseneck tow rating.

We decided to split off the garage from the living space by buying a truck camper and towing an enclosed trailer instead. This works better for us since we don't always need our garage with us, but I would have no problem revisiting this option in the future.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

cutty72
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
The trailer is not the problem, the under sized truck is. The length and weight will cause more issues than a couple feet of height will. You're going to have the same problem with a new trailer unless it's much shorter and lighter or you match it with a bigger more capable truck.

So if I traded my '01 F250 CCSB for a '01 F350 CCSB dually, everything would be all hunky dory? Doubt it.
Same 7.3L diesel.
Same 4R100 trans.
Same rear end.
The difference is a block and spring set in the rear, and an extra set of tires wearing out and hanging in the wind creating drag.

cutty72
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
InTech and Feather Lite also make low profile toy haulers that are basically car haulers with LQ. I think you will need to stay with the length, but the height can be chopped down quite a bit.

That's what I'm looking for, ideas/brands of trailers.
In essence, what is the different between a car hauler with LQ and a toy hauler?

cutty72
Explorer
Explorer
KTMsc wrote:
Have you looked at living quarters horse trailers?
They sit much lower and have a lower overall height.
Remove the stall dividers and you have a garage.

That's the general idea of what I'm looking for, but still want a rear ramp for loading.

Bedlam
InTech and Feather Lite also make low profile toy haulers that are basically car haulers with LQ. I think you will need to stay with the length, but the height can be chopped down quite a bit.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
There are lighter weight lower profile front bed 5ers out there primarily labeled as 1/2 ton towable but they are not THs.

Lowering your current trailer will put you nose high while towing which is no better.

So yes given your current set of "requirements" does equate to a unicorn. Either need to reconsider your requirements or upgrade to a more capable TV.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
The trailer is not the problem, the under sized truck is. The length and weight will cause more issues than a couple feet of height will. You're going to have the same problem with a new trailer unless it's much shorter and lighter or you match it with a bigger more capable truck.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Dually's suck, except towing in a parking lot...:W
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

KTMsc
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at living quarters horse trailers?
They sit much lower and have a lower overall height.
Remove the stall dividers and you have a garage.

cutty72
Explorer
Explorer
TV is a 01 F250 powerstroke. I understand that even my current is over the manufacturer ratings. Upgrades in suspension, and brakes have taken care of that issue.

Going "much smaller" would equate to going to a TT, which I refuse to do.
I've thought about a dually, but averaging about 15k a year, and only about 4k is towing, that's a lot of wear and tear, plus an extra couple tires wearing out, for nothing.
Plus, duallys suck in the snow, and it is also my primary hunting rig.
Not to mention that it would no longer fit in my garage...

I just don't understand it. Looking at a 5er TH, the height is because the entire trailer is above the wheel wells and to give the full stand up front bed area.

I don't care about standing in the front. Wheel wells take a minimal amount of room. Drop the trailer down 1-2', and gain 1-2 mpg. The economy will pay for itself!

May just end up with a Millennium or similar, get a 16'+ garage, even though I don't need it, just to lower my total height.

Apparently I desire the equivalent of a unicorn. 😕

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Your not going to find a 5er at that height. Only a bumper pull will get you that low.

What is your TV? Have you considered upgrading the TV to match? Dually possibly?

Given your requirements I don't think your going to get into something that's much smaller than what you already have
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch