cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should fresh water tank be patched or replaced?

Likes_to_tow
Nomad
Nomad
Getting ready for a big fight with dealer or factory! We took delivery of our new Grand Design Reflection 5th wheel and the next day started to prepare for our first trip. I usually like to travel with abbout 10 gallons of water in fresh tank. Immediately I noticed water dripping from under the trailer! Uppon closer inspection I realized the hose connection nipple on the bottom side of the tank was leaking. Apparently they install this outlet and did a poor job!! My dealer said to bring it in when I return from my trip and they would contact Grand Design to see what the "proper repair" would be. In other words they cannot authorize tank replacement with out Grand Design's blessing.

Now here is my issue. From what I have read, tanks made from Low Density Polyethylene or LDPE which is the milky white plastic reject any repair from Topical Adhesives or otherwise known as Epoxies. Any repair like this is considered temporary since they will not permanently bond to LDPE. This is a 2017 unit. I do not want a temporary fix! I do not want to be on the road and suddenly cannot carry fresh water two years from now. I'm prepared to slug it out with them over this issue. Am I being overly cautious?

Has anyone experienced issues with repair of LDPE tanks?? Appreciate any opinions.
15 REPLIES 15

Likes_to_tow
Nomad
Nomad
I see a few replies where some think this is only a loose fitting on the tank and replacement may not be necessary. Possibly I have not made this problem clear. The fitting I see leaking is thermal welded into the side of the tank. This thermal welding is how they put fittings in this type of plastic. It is probably done on a bench before the tank is put into the frame work of the RV. This thermal welding and fitting is what is broken and what is leaking. I cannot give more information than this. It is not repairable without Epoxy or some type of adheasive which of course is a temporary fix.

However I am very pleased to announce that my dealer has contacted me and Grand Design will be sending a new tank to the dealership. I'm pleased this will be resolved in a professional proper manner. I've heard nothing but good things about Grand Design in my search for a new 5th wheel and this proves they are a reputable company.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It has not been established that the tank is cracked.
If it's just a loose fitting it would be beyond ridiculous to demand a new tank.

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
AS stated, contact GD Customer Service, they are why we buy Grand Design products! Explain the issue, and they will back you for a replacement, if that is indeed is what is required! Also, be calm and things will work out for the best!

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that if you can take a couple of pictures of the crack and the failed repair to send to GD, that would go a long way to getting satisfaction. And, I would not go and ask about a defective tank, I would just get hold of them, let them know what the problem and ask if you can send some pictures of the problem to se if they will replace the tank. If you go in and tell them, or ask them, why a defective tank was allowed to leave the factory, they will get their back up, probably, and be a little less than helpful.
John A. Lichty

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Maybe call the factory direct and explain.

I would not "explain", I would "ask" why a known defective tank was allowed to leave the factory. To me, the fact that the belly covering was cut out right where necessary to inspect the leak is damning evidence that the leak was known before the OP even picked up his FW. I would be demanding a new tank and not a repaired one, for sure.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It would be silly to replace a tank because of a loose fitting.
Need more info.

I will say that IF you go into this with that attitude , you will get some resistance... You are already looking for a "big fight" in your words..
I have heard nothing but exceptional customer service from GD , and have learned over the years that the folks who START OFF with a bad attitude , most likely end with it also..

RELAX , give them the chance to make it right. And possibly without the big fight you are referring to.... Life's too short
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Irelands_child
Explorer
Explorer
If it shows a patch from the factory, a new tank would be the only logical repair. Of course if the dealer could 'weld' repair it properly, then that would probably work as well. Just putting some sort of glue on a plastic tank just wont work.

As far as any new tank - it makes me cringe to think of the ham handed RV lot mechanics I've come across in 40 years who could be working on my new $$$ 5er

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
Call Grand Design customer service. They are VERY good about handling things like that.

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
- Fax: (574) 825-9249
- Email: customerservice@granddesignrv.com
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK now we know more, of the problem. a new tank should be installed by the factory. keep after them but be nice.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like another case of poor/no quality control and lack of concern about the consumer in the RV industry.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe call the factory direct and explain.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Likes_to_tow
Nomad
Nomad
I actually did find out exactly where the leak is before I took it to the dealer. Apparently the factory buys these tanks and then custom fits them into the RV. By this I mean they use thermo welding to fit a plumbing nipple into the bottom side of the tank depending on where the proper location is for that particular model.
I could see where the crack is in the nipple right at the point of contact with the side of the tank. By using a small mirror I could see exactly where the water was coming from. The membrane covering on the bottom of the RV was actually peeled back with a knife and looked like some sealant or epoxy had been applied at the factory. They pushed it out the door with the intention of letting the dealer (or buyer) fix it properly. There was no sign of this caused by damage on the road from the factory. The memebrane had precise smooth cuts to expose the area where the leak was.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you're being overly cautious.

midnightsadie is right. Before you get too worked up, see what is causing the leak. Hopefully it is something simple.

Unless you did something to cause the leak (which you didn't) I would expect a new tank with a new RV.