cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide Out Making Banging Sound

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
When I extend or retract one of my slide outs, it makes several banging noises that are coming from the underside of the RV. This happens every couple of seconds. I opened up the coroplast and saw nothing out of the ordinary. I also lubed the rails real good while I had the underbelly opened up but it made no difference. What else should I be looking for?
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
22 REPLIES 22

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't see any left over junk but I do have a nice stiff neck from lifting and holding my head in a position where I could see the rails and gears and motor. My wife finally said to me "let someone 30 years younger than you fix it". So that's what I hope to have happen.

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
I had a like noise from my slide out. My noise was caused from left over construction junk tangled up in the slide mechanism. Wonderful quality control.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty simple system here is a manual: https://support.lci1.com/documents/embedded-rack-slide-out-system-service-manual
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately I couldn't locate where my problem is with the slide out without tearing out the whole section of coroplast. I'm just not as limber as I used to be, even with a mechanics creeper/crawler. I decided to have an RV shop find and fix the issue. I couldn't get an appointment before Sept. 24th so until then, I'm SOL.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry, Yes. The slide out just started making the banging and still opens and closes evenly. I couldn't see the drive gear but I can open up more of the coroplast and get a better look. I'll have to wait a couple of days though. Rain is heading in for the next 24 hours or so.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Rack & pinion is likely Lippert. If nothing is catching, or obvious, it could be a damaged tooth on the drive. Could you see the drive gear, when the coroplast was down? Has the slide always open/closed evenly, side to side?

Jerry

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
It's a Rack and Pinion slide out in a Forest River Hemisphere 5th Wheel. I don't know who actually manufactures the slide out.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might help to know what brand/type slide mechanism you have. Could there be a tooth of a cog wheel broken if it exists?
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT