cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide usage while making pit stops..

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at toy hauler 5r's and one thing that bothers me are the floor plans that require you to open a slide or two to access the bathroom. It seems that there are very few floor plans that meet all our criteria so something is going to have to give - momma wants a wardrobe slide and I suspect she will get it.

We generally like to use "own" bathroom while on the road.
Having never had a rig with slides - is it a PIA to open and close the slides just to take a leak? does the rig need to level to run the slides in/out?
2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
43 REPLIES 43

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
downtheroad wrote:
Learned our lesson with a previous trailer...

Deal breaker: a slide that blocks access to bedroom, bathroom, refrigerator, pantry.

For me only the bathroom is a true deal breaker.
Access to the other areas is negotiable
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Oldcow
Explorer
Explorer
We have a large TT and open the slides all the time during pit stops for the bathroom or to eat or whatever. As long as it is somewhat level there are no issues. Not really sure what the fuss is all about, maybe I am missing something. I believe our slide is 20 feet long.

Oldcow
2013 Outback 300RB TT
2010 Tundra

dedmiston
Our toy hauler has three slides: one in the bedroom and two in the living quarters. We can get to the bathroom without opening the slides, but not the fridge.

It's my understanding that you can get into trouble running out the slides if they aren't level. If you're unlevel front to back, the slides might not be square as they come out, and you might scrape the sides.

If you're out of level side to side, you'll make the motor work harder to deploy them.

We've used the bathroom on the roadside plenty of times (love it!). If we have to get into the kitchen, I try to at least get level-ish.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Most, if not every, rest stop we have stopped at over the years, large and small, you could pull along side the drive where your curb side of the trailer was on the grassy side and your slides could be opened with no concern about blocking anyone.

Bedlam
We have no problem deploying a slide to get access. It only takes seconds to open the slide and they can be partially deployed if you are tight on space. The only limitation I have found is when street parking parallel to the curb. The last three RV's we owned have had slides and would not give up the space to go back to non-slide models.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:

Deal breaker: a slide that blocks access to bedroom, bathroom, refrigerator, pantry.

+1 after 2 other 5W's we learned what you need access to traveling. Current one bread was in a no access first trip, it found a new home for the next.

I'll add position of the TV, we had one the TV was a 90 from the couch and that does not work.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

AllanInman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Keystone Raptor & the bathroom and right door to the fridge is accessible without opening the slide out!
2015 Keystone Raptor 375TS
2013 F450 DRW Lariat Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel
2006 FLHTCU & 2003 Big Dog Chopper

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't buy a rig that required you to open the slides to use the bathroom or get to the refrigerator, or just simply to get from one end of the rig to the other.

You pull into a rest stop (with no bathrooms) for lunch. Are you going to stop and level so you can put out the slides to get to the toilet or refer??? While you've got your slide out, in comes a truck or another RV that needs the second space you're taking up????

At sometime during your RV life you will probably have a problem extending a slide - what are you going to do then?

What happens when you've stored the RV and want to get into it or at something with the slides closed?

Usually RV requiring a slide to open up are bought by novice buyers.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
It's no problem to run the slides out for a pit stop. We've done it for 22 years with our 5th wheel. You do need to find a parking spot with the room to deploy the slides.

As long as your batteries are good the slide is easy to deploy and retract.

Our living area slide is 4 feet deep and 15 feet long. It works just as good now as it did when new.

No leaks in either of the 2 slideouts.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
All the time we are stopping at rest stops for lunch or a short break. It is no biggie to kick out our kitchen slide for lunch. Just gotta make sure it's not hanging over the white line and be in the way of the truckers.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
It may be best to find a floorplan that allows bathroom access sans slides. If not, you may not have to deploy the slide all the way. I find it's best to be level.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Do not know about toy haulers but my 5er can push the slide out some, without being level front to back or side to side. I have never tried to take it all the way out, if I am not close to level (within a few inches). Hooked up and parked on reasonably level ground I can put the slide out. I travel a little nose high but at the slides location the front to rear difference is very small.

I use the RV toilet but only if I am not going inside a fuel station for some other reason. The wife almost always prefers the station facilities, but that is because she does not like to deploy the RV steps. If I put out the steps or no other option is available, she will use the RV on the side of the road---I will use a bush if one is easier to access than the RV ๐Ÿ˜‰

BTW: we can access everything in the RV with the slide in. I know that some cannot.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
one reason I don,t like slides,another is a lot of them leak. or have in,out problems. I can ruff it a bit and not have any.