cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slideout problem

fikkellin
Explorer
Explorer
I have Hitchhiker II with a Hydro gear slide out...it goes out fine but doesn't always go all the way in without stopping a couple of times...new batteries, fluid up to full line, slide rails lubed
.....any ideas?
11 REPLIES 11

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
fikkellin wrote:
do you mean the switch on the wall....

Yes, the wall switch for the slideout failed. The switch was underrated for the amperage and fouled out after several years.
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
fikkellin

We had the same problem. I got my volt meter and checked to see if the self resetting breaker was causing the slide to stop. You will need someone else to run the slide while you check the breaker.

In our case it was the breaker and it was a 60 amp breaker. I used an amp meter to see if it was a bad breaker and it was bad, open on 30 amps. I replaced it and no more problems.

I got the replacement at the local auto parts store for $10.00 or $12.00.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
fikkellin wrote:

I was just going to mention this. An intermittent or dirty contact in the rocker switch on the wall could be the culprit. Anyway, it's the easiest item to check and replace.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

fikkellin
Explorer
Explorer

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
fikkellin wrote:
I checked all the conections....goes in and will stop....let switch go for a second or two and will move again....

I had the same symptoms on a previous trailer.

Turned out to be a failing slide switch. Easy fix. Did it myself in a few minutes.
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

tko9900
Explorer
Explorer
Yes try all those things already mentioned. I had the same problem, did all that. In the end it turned out to be what is called a gear pack that the slide rides on going in & out. There are two. The bearings were worn out. (Lots of slop) Be sure to check as if not corrected it can also take out the teeth on the slide tube rails. Caught mine in time and just needed gear packs & bearings. (one piece) You will find the gear packs just inside the frame rail. HH II has a Lippert frame. http://www.lippertrepairparts.com/lippert-slide-out-gear-pack.aspx

fikkellin
Explorer
Explorer
I checked all the conections....goes in and will stop....let switch go for a second or two and will move again....

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
How long does it stop? A self resetting breaker would take a couple of minutes to cool off enough to reset. Check the connections on your switch and pump. A loose connection would heat up and increase the resistance. Let us know how you come out.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

fikkellin
Explorer
Explorer
thanks just ordered new fuse.......

sclark
Explorer
Explorer
May be a self resetting breaker. You will find it by the Hyd pump. HERE is what it will look like. Good luck.
2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Cummins Aisin transmission
2014 KZ 358BHK
Honda eu3000is Generator

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
First off ......hope you are using a dry lube on them rails such as a spray on graphite and not a grease type lube. That attracts dirt causes gumming up and wear. Rails should be wire brushed clean and if any lube it should be 'dry'
A little silicone spray on 'ram' then wipe with a clean rag

Secondly.....
Find the slideout 30A relay/auto reset fuse and replace with a new one.
Should be in front compartment close to battery
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31