cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smell propane? Check pressure regulator...

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
While preparing for a weekend camping trip last Friday, I was hooking up the rig as normal. I had already turned on the propane tanks and had heard the fridge turn on, when I walked near the right front of the camper and could smell lots of propane. My Sandpiper has two tanks(as most of yours do) with one on each side of the camper(left side has auto change-over, right side has another regulator). When I opened the door to the compartment, I could hear the regulator spewing out propane. We had just came in from Myrtle Beach 9 days earlier and didn't have a problem( I don't think). I checked the tank, it still appeared pretty heavy so I don't think it was leaking on the way home from our vacation trip. Problem came in trying to find one to replace it. I called 4 RV dealers in my are and all had a 10 psi regulator, but only one had a couple of 30 psi regulators that my rig had on it. Of course, it was the dealer the greatest distance away:). I bought two of the regulators(one as a spare) and installed one of them in about 10 minutes after returning home. Not too big of a deal although the entire trip was almost scrapped due to not being able to find a 30 psi regulator. For $17 a piece, I now carry a spare. All the dealers say they usually see people having to replace them between 2-4 years. I had no idea they had this kind of average life span. Just wanted to share that this may be a spare piece of equipment that you may want to carry with you, else you may have a hard time finding one. Happy camping!
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4
12 REPLIES 12

houstown
Explorer
Explorer
I am on my 4th 30 psi regulator for the street side of my 2010 fifth wheel. The other 3 said "made in India" The fourth one says "made in Mexico. I think I'm on a roll this time.

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Stuff that was built 30-40 years ago lasted for decades. Now, seems like in a few years it all fails. EVERYTHING falls under this. We only want to buy cheap, cheap cheap. Then, complain when it either does not work right, or fails way too early. We are getting the quality we are willing to pay for!

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
The one that went bad was a cast metal case(grey) with a plastic insert(red). Three of the dealers I talked to said that this is the type that is coming on most units now. The ones I bought to replace it are all cast metal(I know I use that term loosely), no visible plastic. I now wish I had taken a pic of it before I had them dispose of it but this is the new one
It is quite a bit larger and heavier than the original one. It just really makes me wonder how long it had leaked prior to this!?
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

lpxguy
Explorer
Explorer
my old TT needed one less than a yr old
2005 GMC Sierra 3500 CC DRW D/A(FOR SALE)
2013 Crusader 335BHS TE(FOR SALE)

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had similar experience in my Class A. Smelled what I thought was sewer. I park my MH near our septic tank. Started looking around and heard gas escaping. Turned out to be the regulator.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

greende
Explorer
Explorer
Mine went within a year of getting the 5er. CW changed it out under warranty & all is good now.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

wborst
Explorer
Explorer
I also had to replace my 30# regulator after 3 years. I also had a hard time finding one.
Brenda, Bill
Our little dog Madison has crossed the Rainbow Bridge
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire 40ft. Spartan chassis
400 hp Cummins ISL

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Had to replace mine after about 4 yrs due to a leak from it.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
The best fix is to get a tech with propane certification and your problem will be solved. knowledge from him means safety for you and better sleeping for your wife.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

past-MIdirector
Explorer
Explorer
In 35 years I've had two regulators go bad and both were over 10 years old. The rubber diaphragms can dry out and leak. It's always something to check before we fill the tank. I have a little $28 pocket tester.

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
I never heard of the regulator breaking in just a couple of years. My last camper was 9 years old and still on the original regulators when I traded it in. No problems ever with them. Maybe I should have noted the brand of regulators I had,

-BC-
2012 F250 Lariat 6.5ft. bed, 6.2L, 3:73 Gears
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
39 years of rv'ing I've had one with a problem. Also one with a leak in the gas line thanks to squirels. (alway's had a mental picture of the little guy biting into the line and his cheeks blowing up)
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)