cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snow load on roof

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't done much research on this so I apologize if its something regularly discussed.....

With winter coming on and it seemingly coming on strong, we enjoy heading up to the snow for a few days in the trailer. But that said, I was just wondering how much snow load capacity these trailers are usually capable of? I have no intentions of leaving my trailer for months on end where it will accumulate a few feet of snow on its roof but if its snowing really heavy for a few days and I dont have a chance to get on top to sweep it off, how much is too much snow? Thanks.
20 REPLIES 20

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
It's beautiful!....right? I keep telling myself that..
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Allworth wrote:
What is this stuff you call "snow"???

Isn't that the stuff the comes out of Columbia? 🙂

Lyle

It like Florida sand.....but not so annoying.

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
I think it's the opposite of HUMIDITY...something you know about!!
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Allworth wrote:

Isn't that the stuff the comes out of Columbia? 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
 photo DSC00411.jpg

over night snow storm for a friend of ours. Show Low Az

chevman

Sorry no picture came on
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
We get snow here in the Salt Lake Valley and I just brush the snow off the solar panels which keep the batteries topped off.
It stays uncovered year round.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
If you are occupying it, just make sure you fridge vent (if in the roof) and tank vents are clear.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like I have nothing to worry about. As noted, I have no plans on sitting in the snowy weather for weeks on end. Just a few nights at most. Experiencing how much movement these roofs can offer while walking across them, I was thinking a foot of snow may cause problems but after reading I guess that's nothing to fret. I do although have slide toppers and I'm sure a foot of snow will cause a problems with them.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
When there are freeze/thaw cycles that create ice on my trailer, I run a heater inside for a couple days. Enough heat is lost through the roof to melt it. I feel for the poster that got caught with the slides froze in the out position!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I felt our only fifthwheel that has seen winter just needed a push broom to pull the snow off without hurting the items on the roof. I bought a long enough ladder so I had support and not needing to be at the top. I did not try to remove all of the snow but what would come off easy. That was 15 years ago.

Best method we have found is to be a snow bird. Snow isn't the problem but soon it will be frozen and will get heavier. Of course you all know this.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
Most RV dealers don't do anything. My wife made me remove snow from our previous travel trailer and I ended up with small cuts in the roof membrane. If she gets too insistent with the fiver, I will use a roof rake for the bulk, but not take it all the way down to the roof. I wouldn't worry about a couple of feet much, but it can get heavy if it rains on top of that.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

SSN609
Explorer
Explorer
I got stuck one place last year because of 4" ice on the top of the slide outs (freezing rain). I couldn't get the slide in to leave. I didn't have a ladder or any tool to scrap off the ice (like poncho62 mentions). I had to go get some help with a ladder and something to shove the ice off 3 slides. No way was I going to stand on the roof with ice on it. I got caught because the weather was not predicting rain before getting down to 15-20 degrees. Plus, I saw 45 degree days coming up the next few days. That didn't help because it was only above freezing about 4 hrs which barely melted anything. Anyway, I'd recommend watching the weather and keeping the slides in as much as possible (if you want to move that is). That or get a roof rake. The only reason I mention this is because it sounds like you are talking about using your trailer (not just storing it). I've been camping many times in the snow and love it. Good luck!

poncho62
Explorer
Explorer
With all the above said....I have seen a couple of cases where ice and snow has done a lot of damage to RV roofs. I keep mine cleaned off by using a roof rake.