cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snow on Roof

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
We plan on heading south for a while again last winter. Last year I shoveled 1-1.5ft of snow off of the roof before we left with our TT. Now we have a 5er with more stuff up there and a slope that I'm afraid of breaking something shoveling, or worse hurt myself 🙂

What does everyone do if they head south in mid-Jan and there's snow on the 5er? Will it melt/blow off safely (to others on the road as well as AC, antenna, solar, etc on roof?

Enjoying our Fall weather, but starting to look a couple months ahead...
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK
22 REPLIES 22

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Snow:

White stuff you drive 2 hrs to get to in the local mountains - from the 70 degree temps in So.CA - to ski or snowboard. (Gonna be 78 on Sunday.)
Or - 5 hrs to the Sierras for world class skiing.

Decisions, decisions!..:h
Get up early AM and go surfing first or not..

You do that in the Florida mountains & at Florida beaches also, don't ya?..:@

~

Are we going to debate Hemingway and Steinbeck also ?

MIKECBROWN
Explorer
Explorer
BUT FIRST, before shoveling off to hit the road....... remove the blocks from in front of the tires.

brian2088
Explorer
Explorer
5er is not difficult to remove so you should remove that asap.Otherwise it can collapse with any new wave of snow. Shovel it off. To automate this process you can use some snow blower or leaf blower. i would recommend Snow Joe SJ623E or Stihl BGA 85

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Snow:

White stuff you drive 2 hrs to get to in the local mountains - from the 70 degree temps in So.CA - to ski or snowboard. (Gonna be 78 on Sunday.)
Or - 5 hrs to the Sierras for world class skiing.

Decisions, decisions!..:h
Get up early AM and go surfing first or not..

You do that in the Florida mountains & at Florida beaches also, don't ya?..:@

~

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is this stuff you people keep referring to as "snow"????

Cold front came through yesterday. It was only 74 degrees this afternoon.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Well, cleaned off yesterdays ~8in of snow from the 5er this morning. After that, and thinking about doing it a handful more times before we can head south in mid-Jan I'm pretty sure that I'll find another solution next winter!

While leaf blower sound nice, it wouldn't touch this stuff. I used a heavy push-broom more as a soft shovel than broom and got enough off that you see more roof than snow. It was a pain. I don't look forward to keeping it semi-clean for the next couple months but that would certainly be better than to be in mid-Jan with a foot of snow/ice on top and want to leave.

Already thinking about options to avoid this next winter. A permanent cover would be nice but not sure if it fits well with our lot. I like winter, just not 4 months of it (and especially the sub-zero temps) so leaving before the snow isn't an option. Dropping the trailer in KS in October might end up being the way to go.

Anyway, the snow is beautiful - or at least I keep telling myself that 🙂
Ron & Pat

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Padlin wrote:
If you leave the heat on will it melt off the snow?

That was our thought last year. We must have had it close to 80 degrees inside that morning. Darn fiver must have been just too insulated cause it didn't melt the slide tops.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
If you leave the heat on will it melt off the snow?
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I already know I won't be driving with a bunch of snow up there.

I like the idea about the leaf blower, but would depend a lot on type of snow we get. I'm really thinking about B.O.'s idea of pulling down to Kansas in the next couple of weeks...will have to give that some thought. I may PM you B.O. To get more info.
Thanks
Ron & Pat

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Vet Man wrote:
When was the last time you saw a semi driver up on the roof clearing it off? I will not be on the roof or a latter in the snow.

Yep, that's why they make the large drive thru snow removal machines for trailer trucks. You see them in the north east a lot. Some merely scrape the snow off and some, like the one we have where I work, have augers that act like a giant snow blower. Wouldn't work with an rv though. There would be pieces of ac and vents all over the place!

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
We had almost the same problem last December. Had to use a 10' stepladder and long handled brush to push everything off the roof and then the slides. The next morning when we hooked up we still had a thin layer of ice on top of the slides I had to heat up and get off. It wasn't fun. After all that my hitch jaws were frozen.

This year we are moving rig to Paducah at the first sign of snow, then driving truck back for holidays. We should avoid snow on fiver that way.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Vet Man wrote:
When was the last time you saw a semi driver up on the roof clearing it off? I will not be on the roof or a latter in the snow.

I used to watch that stuff fly off in fairly large sheets from the top of the semi loads picked up from wintry yards.

Also when it is the season , I try to keep my distance from 18 wheelers laden with snow.

Now do you think I would attempt to remove the snow from the top of the fiver? :B Time to be practical and logical.

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Pennsylvania Vehicle Code:

§ 3720. Snow and ice dislodged or falling from moving vehicle.

When snow or ice is dislodged or falls from a moving vehicle and strikes another vehicle or pedestrian causing death or serious bodily injury, the operator of the vehicle from which the snow or ice is dislodged or falls shall be subject to a fine of not less than $200 nor more than $1,000 for each offense.

(May 11, 2006, P.L.159, No.37, eff. 60 days; Oct. 19, 2010, P.L.557, No.81, eff. 60 days