Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back wall Entertainment Center vs Side

getontheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Was wondering about preference on back wall entertainment with side couch and side recliners. Versus side entertainment with back couch and side recliners.

I want the rear living area, and by looks prefer the back wall entertainment center, but seems people complain about sitting sideways to see TV. Not really sure if this would be an issue for us as we only watch TV late at night or early morning. Just checking preferences.

Thanks
Just us
(Me, the honey, 3 kids, and furbaby)
Happy in North Dakota

2008 Ford F350 Supercrew V10
2014 Montana mountaineer 310RET
2006 Ford F150
24 REPLIES 24

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
In the bigger Montana models (38-39 feet) we looked at both options when deciding on a new RL (rear living) area. In those models there really wasn't an issue either way viewing the television. Actually the model we bought has the entertainment systems (TV) at an angle in the slide, not in the rear which works very well.

One downside to having recliner/rockers in the rear is they may have to be pushed back and positioned back-to-back in order to put slides in for travel. Since we are full time we find that this is a hasstle.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a Jayco with the television against the back wall and on this rig have the TV on side slideout in the back. Next rig will have the TV on the back wall. Gives more room in the back and never had an issue watching the TV. Couch was L-shaped and had euro recliners and it was easy to see TV while in kitchen or dining area.
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
One the things we loved about buying our Carriage back in 1996 was the rear entertainment center.
Dutch lays on his couch which is perfect for TV viewing. We only wanted on recliner on my "side" so I could also have my computer desk right their for when I want to use it and can still use my recliner. My recliner also swivels so I can turn it strait to the back for computer work and tilt it out towards the middle just a bit and put my feet up to watch TV. Neither of us has to sit sideways to watch TV. We love the 3 tiered book cases on each side of the TV and have books and special items from our life nice displayed. We rarely have people over to watch TV as we'd rather talk or play cards.
When the new rear window options came out, we thought "oh Boy" then after really thinking about the View, we realized that in all of our years on the road, we were only in a handful of places that we could really see something out that window. Most of the time it was another RV. It is just something that works for us and is food for thought. Hugs, Di
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

GypsiesAtHeart2
Explorer
Explorer
You can move the couch or the recliner to face the TV more. Re-decorate, it's your house.
2014 Forest River Wildcat 293 REX
2012 GMC 3500 HD SRW CC LB Diesel

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
I give up.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Pictures won't post.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
R12RTee wrote:
For that reason we had DRV delete the window behind the television.

I can certainly understand why. I don't think we've ever raised the shades on that window.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

R12RTee
Explorer
Explorer
RustyJC wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
You lose one window with the tv across from seating.

Not when the TV is on a lift like ours. When the TV is lowered into the cabinet, the window is available behind it. It is, however, an "either/or" proposition; either you're watching TV or looking out that particular window, but the choice is there in case I want to look out the window at my sewer hose.

Rusty
For that reason we had DRV delete the window behind the television.
2021 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA
2021 Ram 6.7 HO

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
You lose one window with the tv across from seating.

Not when the TV is on a lift like ours. When the TV is lowered into the cabinet, the window is available behind it. It is, however, an "either/or" proposition; either you're watching TV or looking out that particular window, but the choice is there in case I want to look out the window at my sewer hose.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest you move some chairs at home so the TV is 90* to you. Sit there for awhile. If you like it then RE wuold be fine. Me personally I like the tv in front of me. You lose one window with the tv across from seating. You gain a rear window. IMO I don't mind losing one window on the street side. We generally camp with the picnic table on the door side. So the street side is where all the traffic is. Less noise. Also one less window means less chance for a leak, less chance for the sun to heat up the inside and less chance for condensation to develop.

Our next 5er will have the rear sofa. Dinette and theater seating on the curb side and the tv, fridge etc on the street side. In all the years we've camped we rarely stay at a place where the view is on the street side. So why have windows and seating there?

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
filrupmark wrote:
We have recliners in slideout and 42" TV straight across in the other slide. We like this floorplan very well. I can't imagine looking sideways at a tv in the rear of the trailer for an extended period of time. I would think my neck would not enjoy that too much.

X2 And we like having the view out the rear window.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Prefer the view out of the back window than any TV. Don't like the TV at right angles to the back either.

TV in the slide at a 45deg angle facing aft works very well. It can be seen from anywhere, including galley, without doing strange body twisting to do it.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Where are the chairs/sofa that you will be sitting in while watching TV? Do you want to have to turn your head to watch? How much TV are you going to watch? These are questions you need to ask yourself, once you have answered those, then where the TV is located will answer itself!

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had an RE. Messed up views from rear window. Have recliners in back now and can turn them and enjoy the river out back. Our TV is now at an angle in a side slide out, best set up we've had.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS