cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hooking and unhooking?

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
We have two driveways in which to park a 26 foot fifth wheel. Both slope down away from the rig, but one is a slope and a bit of a turn also to stay on the pavement.

We don't have a rig yet, but wonder about getting hooked up. It's a new form of RV to me. It would mean backing up the truck, then lowering the front of the rig to well off level, about 6 to 12 inches from level, then getting hitched up.

So, is it easy or difficult to slip into a fifth wheel hitch when off level, and does being out of the same straight line even complicate things more?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel
17 REPLIES 17

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I have purchased a B&W Patriot. Thank you all for the advice! Also got the Prodigy P2 brake controller for the task.

Now to get the fifth wheel. Hopefully next week.

Mike
Mike
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Mike, some hitches will work better than others, for the type of hitching you are describing.

My driveway is a slight uphill, and the truck will not be straight, when backed in.

The B&W hitch I have now, works way better than the previous hitch I had. I am sure there are others that will work also, but I can vouch for the B&W.

Jerry

Agreed. Like others, the B&W hitch can be hitched at almost any angle.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a hitch on the market that will let you hitch up off camber with ease.

Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Connection

It uses a an elevated ball coupler that attaches at the same level as the kingpin. No more binding problem. It has been crush tested to 60,000 lbs and has excellent customer feedback on this and other forums around the net.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

twindman
Explorer
Explorer
I think you mentioned 'lowering' the king pin into the hitch. DO NOT DO THIS. I believe you need to have the pin low enough it pushes the truck bed down a little as you back in. At least that is what I do and have heard from others.

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
It'll latch.My 5 er sets almost 3'off the ground to be level in our drive.I made 6x6 blocks and 2x6 pads to put under the jack stands.I use these so I don't have to let the foot pads all the way out to get level.As said wheel chocks,good ones,are your friend.I leave it up level all the time.When you let it down to hitch up,have your helper watch to get it close to the hitch.I have a sidewinder pin and a Reese 16k hitch.All work just fine.
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

sail2liv
Explorer
Explorer
Landing gear only extend or retract so far.....if large angle you will need to have blocks and boards to get rig level side to side and be able to retract landing gear enough to achieve front to rear level....we run our fridge all the time so that is a must....not to mention proper water drainage...good luck

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Artum Snowbird wrote:
We have two driveways in which to park a 26 foot fifth wheel. Both slope down away from the rig, but one is a slope and a bit of a turn also to stay on the pavement.

We don't have a rig yet, but wonder about getting hooked up. It's a new form of RV to me. It would mean backing up the truck, then lowering the front of the rig to well off level, about 6 to 12 inches from level, then getting hitched up.

So, is it easy or difficult to slip into a fifth wheel hitch when off level, and does being out of the same straight line even complicate things more?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Mike, some hitches will work better than others, for the type of hitching you are describing.

My driveway is a slight uphill, and the truck will not be straight, when backed in.

The B&W hitch I have now, works way better than the previous hitch I had. I am sure there are others that will work also, but I can vouch for the B&W.

Jerry

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never talk about "hooking" when you are on the internet.
It might get you in trouble real fast. :W

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Thanks Korbe and SD camp.. Good thought from both.. appreciated.

So, once I slide into the hitch, the truck is still at unloaded height, and the hitch will latch or I will latch it. Then I think I will lower the fifth onto the bed by releasing the front jacks just to above the pavement, pull forward to make sure it is hitched, and then lift the front jacks up. Right?

Yep, I hold the trailer brake lever on full power to lock the brakes and tug test lightly while gear is just off the ground. Then feel that the handle is locked in then I look at the jaws that I painted red. Padlock the hitch handle.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Korbe and SD camp.. Good thought from both.. appreciated.

So, once I slide into the hitch, the truck is still at unloaded height, and the hitch will latch or I will latch it. Then I think I will lower the fifth onto the bed by releasing the front jacks just to above the pavement, pull forward to make sure it is hitched, and then lift the front jacks up. Right?
Mike
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Our 5er at home when disconnected ( and level) is about a foot above the truck hitch. When I back the truck up the hill to hook up, the truck is not level side to side either. Once the truck bed is near the pin, I lower the 5er and once lined up I back right in. The hitch will pivot in any direction to line up. The real issue for me is to make sure the pin plate ends up flush (flat) on the hitch plate. The more I do it, the easier it gets.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Chock trailer wheels well. Maintain truck pressure back against the hitch to open/ close the hitch jaws.
Measure your trucks unloaded hitch height, cut a 1 x 2 stick that length, with marks on it for truck wheelwell height when unhooking trailer, use trailer landing jacks until those marks match ( load off), use it to get the trailer pin just right when hooking up. And mark your slide widths on it so you can be certain of clearance.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your early posts already. My truck is a 2000 F 350 4X4 Supercab long box, and the rig is a full size 2009 fifth wheel.

I am not really steep like some, it's just sloped not steep by any standard.
Mike
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to say without looking at the driveway. It can be done under most circumstances. One time I had to pull a couple of pins and pull my head off of hitch base, then released head from trailer pin box. I bought a B&W hitch and feel it will work as well as any. They make one thats real easy to just pull a pin and leave the entire hitch on trailer pin box, and truck bed free of hitch.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch