cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

solar panel wiring to solar charger

garycq
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for ways to run my solar panel wires to my solar charger on my 5th wheel. I have seen and helped people run them through the refrigerator vent down the back side away from the refrigerator. There are those who say this is the wrong way but it is a common way of doing it. I have two 125w panels and may add another one in the future. I would like to hear of other ways and/or from those who use the vent and are happy with it. I would like to camp at places that have no shore power so I'm trying to use my solar panels to the most I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Gary
Arctic Fox '07 29-5T 5th wheel
2001 CTD Ram 2500
10 REPLIES 10

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
I brought mind down the space in a wall between my shower and hall, this is the space the vent went up to the roof. Drilled a hole in the roof (after VERY CAREFULLY making sure I was in the right place), and snaked a length of the blue flexible conduit down. Installed a PVC handi-box on roof and sealed it with copious amounts of dicor. No leaks (yet).

Doug

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
If you are using the sewer vent, do you drill a hole next to the pipe and then fish it down to the basement?

I ran mine right down the vent pipe for the grey tank. I took apart the P trap under my bathroom sink, drilled a hole in the top of the pvc pipe where it connected to the vent pipe (it was only a short 6 inch piece) then fished the wires through that hole and caulked it up then put the trap back together. From there I could fish it down through the floor right next to the vent into the basement. Then it was just running it along to the controller.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Rmcgrath53
Explorer
Explorer
I DRILLED A HOLE next to my stack into the wall and fished it down to the basement. Then I ran it next to the aluminum cross member with zip ties. On the roof, I drilled the hole big enough, to put a pvc tee fitting ,and caulked the daylite out of it.
2008 keystone Everest 345s re
2002 F350 4x4 7.3 diesel crew cab dually. 135,000 miles extra leafs.
Banks stinger/ with an edge attitude set at tow
prodigy 3p curt 20k hitch
trail air suspension trail air pinbox
2 e2000 honda w parralel kit
560 watts solar

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
^^ Generally you would drill a hole in the pipe itself on top and bottom, fish the wire down, reseal with silicone or other adhesive.

wclement1248
Explorer
Explorer
If you are using the sewer vent, do you drill a hole next to the pipe and then fish it down to the basement?

lillyputz
Explorer
Explorer
It's not wise to run the wires down a refer vent, if the refer is in a slide. I ran mine down, along side of the sewer vent pipe.

Lillyputz
Lillyputz

Two beagles. Lilly & Zuri

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Mine go own one of the vent stacks. It was far closer then the fridge vent for me.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Mine go down the fridge vent. Have seen others go down a tank vent to a storage area and others Dicor a J-box to the roof over a hole to the interior.

Forum Members Solar Installations With Pics

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Gary,

Mine came prewired from the factory down the Fridge chimney.

Do you plan to use an inverter? If so, what size?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.