cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

solitude by Grand Design

KampingKris
Explorer
Explorer
Found a floorplan we love... Anyone know anything about these?

The only thing didn't like was the cheap tires but everything else seemed pretty well made.
But would miss our large tank sizes, 6 batteries, inverter, solar panel and charging system.... But might be worth the change for automatic leveling.

Hard to find a unit that's like our Alpie... even though its had issues too.
KampingKris & FiremanSteve
Jada - American Eskie princess
2008 Tiffin Allergro Bus
2010 Polaris 850XP
2010 Polaris RZR
5 REPLIES 5

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
Gunship Guy wrote:
We were just in one this weekend. The first thing we noticed immediately upon entering the unit was how loud the air conditioning was. One would need to talk above a normal conversation volume and the tv would also need to be turned up quite a bit to hear anything above the loud hum and ceiling vibrations. It was worse in the bedroom.
Nice looking rigs!

But I do see in the pics that they use a central air duct system, but the return air is not ducted! That accounts for the noise. At the RV show last year it seemed nearly 80% have gone to the ducted return air which are far more quiet. Maybe they will come out with it before too long.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

Trimble1
Explorer
Explorer
We just picked up our Solitude on Easter weekend, we have camped three times (twelve nights) and absolutely love it. No issues so far, but I did have the tires changed to G614's before we took delivery. We had an Everest 345S before this one, so the floor plan is almost the same. Big living room area, king size (supposedly) bed, washer dryer hookup (we do not have washer and dryer) big shower and bathroom. The wife misses the door between bedroom and bathroom like we did have but no real issue. We live in Michigan so we haven't had to use either of the air conditioners yet. I would point out that if you are in the living room you could just run the a/c in the bedroom and vice versa if they are that loud. Love, Love, Love the auto-levelers would never go back. Happy Trails.
Jim & Sandy, (Molly and Jaguar)
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2011 Ford F350 6.7L SRW CC LWB

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
KampingKris wrote:
Found a floorplan we love... Anyone know anything about these?

The only thing didn't like was the cheap tires but everything else seemed pretty well made.
But would miss our large tank sizes, 6 batteries, inverter, solar panel and charging system.... But might be worth the change for automatic leveling.

Hard to find a unit that's like our Alpie... even though its had issues too.

So put a 6 point leveling system on the Alpie... you already have one of the better trailers built. A few thousand is a lot cheaper than 60-80K for a new unit. For another 1k, have it professionally detailed or for a few k a custom paint job.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Gunship_Guy
Explorer
Explorer
We were just in one this weekend. The first thing we noticed immediately upon entering the unit was how loud the air conditioning was. One would need to talk above a normal conversation volume and the tv would also need to be turned up quite a bit to hear anything above the loud hum and ceiling vibrations. It was worse in the bedroom.
2017 Weekend Warrior (by The RV Factory)
2013 Ram 3500 Longhorn LB DRW 4x4 Aisin 4.10

Previous:

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 41'
2006 DRV Mobile Suites 38'
Volvo 770

memgrove
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Design is a customer of mine and I get into the edge of their production facility to do my job(not rv related) every other week. They sure look nice but I have see some with a LOT OF RED TAPE on them indicating need of attention before leaving the factory. They as a company are growing FAST and that may not be good for production just yet. If I were you I would wait just a bit to buy one and give them a little more practice building them. Have you looked into having the auto leveler installed on your current unit? It may be better than buying a whole new unit just for one upgrade and losing all of the things you like about the current one.
Mike
2006 Chevy 2500 4X4 crew cab Gasser
2013 Dutchmen Denali 311 BHS (Love the trailer HATE the manufacture!)