cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Squeaking Floor

goodwin297
Explorer
Explorer
While at a campground near LaFayette, LA, I had filled the fresh water tank because the campground was having issues with a busted pipe so I put water in after a long day of the water being off. Good thing since the water was off the next day.

We drove from LaFayette to PA. When we parked in the in-laws drive way and set up, the floor near the door (it is a rear door) squeaks. Besides being annoying, what could be wrong. We are level, no twists. We went a different route than we normally do. Some portions of the interstate were causing the 5er to bounce. Our fresh water tank is now leaking. Could it have bounced and broke something structural?

I am trying to get some idea before hubby crawls under and removes the insulation to see what is wrong.

Any ideas/thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Trudi
Full-Time RVers since 6/16/2012

Our home:2015 Evergreen Bay Hill 340RK
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins Diesel Crew Cab
Doggies - Molli, Indi and Louie
5 REPLIES 5

billmac
Explorer
Explorer
That is one reason I prefer my fresh water tank be empty or nearly empty when I travel. Our roads are so bad, I am surprised these trailers hole together as well as they do.

I fixed my squeaky floor by installing additional 2x3 supports with glue and a couple of screws from the top. Now it is quiet and feels like a concrete floor when I walk in that area. We also had a another noise in a different area where a bolt that holds the floor to the metal frame stripped. That noise was not a squeak, but we fixed it by lifting the carpet and just removing the bolt.

goodwin297
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, all, for your response. Outside of removing the insulation, it should be an easy fix. He thought a brace or something may have broken from the fresh water tank bouncing up and hitting it.
Full-Time RVers since 6/16/2012

Our home:2015 Evergreen Bay Hill 340RK
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins Diesel Crew Cab
Doggies - Molli, Indi and Louie

billmac
Explorer
Explorer
Usually squeaks are caused by loose materials. My 2005 Cardinal had a squeak when I took delivery from the factory. No warranty would fix it. I tore the bottom off the trailer and learned the factory had missed with 12 staples attaching the plywood floor to the joists. They do make small headed screws, designed to be hidden, that will go into the floor from the top side to tighten things up. The water leak should be easier to find.

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds somewhat like an problem we had with the fresh water tank.
After hitting a few good bumps on rough part of the freeway we had leaks.

Ended up replacing the fill pipe\tubing because it had split.
Then the vent and drain hose clamps had gotten disturbed and were dripping.

Took a bit of crawling around under the trailer to remove the insulation panel underneath.

I wouldn't say it was extremely difficult to do at least on our fiver.

Had a creak\squeak under the bathroom on our current rig that ended up being a heater vent.
Some expanding aerosol foam around the ducting fixed that.

Hoppypoppy
Explorer
Explorer
Had the squeaky floor issue in our previous 5er. Simply went underneath and tightened all the lag bolts. Sounds like yours is a four season so may be a bit more complicated. Leaking water tank? Can't help you....