cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard hitch vs. gooseneck hitch

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Starting to look at a 5er again now that we have a truck that can tow it after an almost 20 year hiatus. We are thinking of using a gooseneck hitch vs. a standard hitch in order to keep the truck bed more usable. Pros and cons of either? I apologize if this sounds uneducated but can't remember if you modify a pin to a gooseneck or if you order it that way. Memory is a little scrambled because it's been so long. Thanks!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
37 REPLIES 37

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Yeah...lots of fake news in social media.....and rv websites in general mostly pushed by those that never use the product being discussed or other brand fan boyz, and specifically mfg voiding their trailers frame warranty because a certain brand 5th wheel hitch is used.

PullRite has the same style hitch as a Andersen and nothing was said about its use voiding a rv trailers frame warranty. I would think Lippert would say all brands of Andersen type hitches and not just one brand.

There has been a long lengthy discussion about this warranty thing with the Andersen over on the Montana Owners Forum. Many on there tow with the Andersen . I have no concerns about the frame on mine, as said this is the second fifth wheel I have used the Andersen .

You are correct the Pullrite is the same exact hitch, with never a mention . Said it along ,most if not all the negative comments come from those that have never towed an inch with the Andersen . Bottom line IMO its the only way to go on towing a fifth wheel, once you have towed with one you will realize that.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah...lots of fake news in social media.....and rv websites in general mostly pushed by those that never use the product being discussed or other brand fan boyz, and specifically mfg voiding their trailers frame warranty because a certain brand 5th wheel hitch is used.

PullRite has the same style hitch as a Andersen and nothing was said about its use voiding a rv trailers frame warranty. I would think Lippert would say all brands of Andersen type hitches and not just one brand.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
The Andersen is a "Ball and Coupler Hitch" and it's Lippert who manufactures a majority of frames for most MFRs that has come out with a memo to MRFs that they will no longer cover Frame failures if an Andersen or real Goose Neck Adapter has been used.

Well they need excuses for the amount of failures they have , which one do they use when the frame comes apart on a conventional hitch , as said before read many many frame failures , and as far as the ones I’ve read about , they were never blamed on an Andersen.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Andersen is a "Ball and Coupler Hitch" and it's Lippert who manufactures a majority of frames for most MFRs that has come out with a memo to MRFs that they will no longer cover Frame failures if an Andersen or real Goose Neck Adapter has been used.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
work2much wrote:
Happy with our goose box. No more heavy hitch in the bed and the air bag and shocks make for a nice ride. The only downside is it's a little harder to line up hitching but adding a stripe of yellow tape in the center of the bed and on the face of the hitch does the trick if you ave a bed view cargo camera.

The Goosebox is a great way to go if you already have a true gooseneck hitch in the bed of your truck.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thermoguy wrote:
Why use a hitch that could or might cause the trailer frame to fail? Seems like you are playing Russian roulette. If I know one things about companies, they will do anything to get you to buy their product and everything to not pay a claim. So, if the frame bends and cracks, it's on you. I think I read even the Goosebox is only a warranty for 2 years. What do you do after that?

Stick with a real 5th wheel hitch. If you have a ball hitch, get one that works with that like the B&W Companion.

Anyone who makes that statement does not understand the difference between a true gooseneck hitch and the Andersen Fifth Wheel Hitch. They're making a judgment on something they have never used. If you want to know about an Andersen, ask an Andersen hitch user.

As I said in another thread and will say again; THE ANDERSEN IS NOT A GOOSENECK HITCH! ANDERSEN GOT APPROVAL FROM THE DOT AS A FIFTH WHEEL HITCH!

First; How can an Andersen cause your frame to fail? The forces at the pin are the same as a conventional fifth wheel hitch.

Second; you must be referring to the hundreds of warranty claims made by Andersen hitch users for damaged frames. Oh, my bad, there hasn't been a single one with over 30,000 Andresen hitches in use.

Here's your answer from the Andersen website:

"A few RV/Trailer Frame manufacturers have said (or implied) that they will void the warranty on their 5th Wheel (or frame) if an adapter is used for hooking up.

Officially, that is illegal. According to the FTC’s Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act they can only void the warranty if the adapter actually CAUSES damage, not simply if it is USED. Additionally they have to PROVE the damage was caused by the adapter.

Our solution:

For the Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection, if they won't cover it, please submit a claim to customerservice@anderseninc.com. We stand behind our product and with the Ultimate Connection we will cover warranties up to $5,000,000. For more info regarding this coverage, see our supplemental warranty."

B&W, Curt, Pullrite, and others all make great fifth wheel hitches and they all work. Some of us just want a different solution that's much easier to use and more convenient to take in and out of the bed of the truck.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

OverNightSensat
Explorer III
Explorer III
ZeeLet50 wrote:
BTW what ball are most using for the new GM HD trucks with factory puck system? I see Curt makes one and so does Reese

The Curt ball and chain anchors came with my 2020 Chevy 3500HD dually.
2020 Chevrolet C/C 3500HD DRW Duramax
2021 Vengeance Rogue Armored 351 G2 Toy Hauler 45''
2021 Can Am Maverick Trail 1000 DPS

If a hammer can't fix it, you got yourself an electrical problem!

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Happy with our goose box. No more heavy hitch in the bed and the air bag and shocks make for a nice ride. The only downside is it's a little harder to line up hitching but adding a stripe of yellow tape in the center of the bed and on the face of the hitch does the trick if you ave a bed view cargo camera.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
On the other hand, I haul stuff. With the rails above the bed, and straps that fit the slots, I have multiple tie down points that will hold anything the truck can haul.

And I love a slider because it moves the pivot point back, which gets the 5er swinging just a bit sooner.

Make your choice and pay the money. There is a reason they make all of the choices.

Shal36
Explorer
Explorer
There’s an advantage to different types of hitches. I don’t want a massively heavy hitch head I my bed and I don’t want rails above the bed. I camp once a month and use my truck like a truck the rest of the time. Others have the ability to pull out the hitch easily. Some don’t like hitching to the gooseneck ball. Others want or need a rotating pin box which will not work with a gooseneck ball mounted hitch.

The old kingpins to gooseneck adapters put way too much stress on the frame, but I’m not sure why Lippert objects to Andersen, other than for financial reasons. If Lippert cared about there customer base, the would evaluate the Andersen and then put down requirements for Andersen to engineer towards.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why use a hitch that could or might cause the trailer frame to fail? Seems like you are playing Russian roulette. If I know one things about companies, they will do anything to get you to buy their product and everything to not pay a claim. So, if the frame bends and cracks, it's on you. I think I read even the Goosebox is only a warranty for 2 years. What do you do after that?

Stick with a real 5th wheel hitch. If you have a ball hitch, get one that works with that like the B&W Companion.

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
BTW what ball are most using for the new GM HD trucks with factory puck system? I see Curt makes one and so does Reese
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
If we do it we will go with a standard king pin.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Michelle.S wrote:
BUT Andersen doesn't make the Frame, a majority are Lippert and it's Lippert who will Void the warranty not Andersen.

BINGO, this was very carefully worded!

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
BUT Andersen doesn't make the Frame, a majority are Lippert and it's Lippert who will Void the warranty not Andersen.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint