cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Door Lift Attachment Plate Repair

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
Need advice on repairing attachment plate for gas struts that hold storage/baggage door open. This is the plate that attaches gas strut to actual door. Screws are not holding. Have tried "match" stick and lock tight to no avail. I know Hatchlift and Camping World have replacement plates but hoping there is a more permanent solution. I have "searched" but not sure of proper terminology for these attachment plates. Thanks
2017 Montana 3611 RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
9 REPLIES 9

Yaj
Explorer
Explorer
I used nutserts, Google it and you'll find Harbor Freight has a cheep set that will work great!
Picture of nutsert in action

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
Fill the screw holes with epoxy putty, Marine-Tex or similar.
Drill new pilot holes through the hardened putty.
Seal with 3M 5200 and replace the screws.
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
houstonstroker wrote:
I installed a cargo door strut on the front compartment of my 5th wheel. I used a two part epoxy and lots of short screws. Clamped over night. I used rivets to attach the strut bracket to the plate.
I just installed a strut kit on one of my basement doors and it looks just like that. The kit had a pre-glued plate that you used an activator on the glue, then screwed the plate to the door using about 8 screws. Seems to be very solid.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

GaPete
Explorer
Explorer
houstonstroker wrote:
I installed a cargo door strut on the front compartment of my 5th wheel. I used a two part epoxy and lots of short screws. Clamped over night. I used rivets to attach the strut bracket to the plate.

Exactly how I did mine but did not use epoxy.

houstonstroker
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Dynamax Force HD Super C

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
J.B.Weld...the 24 hr one, NOT the fast dry.....used it for years, and never been disappointed. Any street rodder swears by this stuff....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
2 part epoxy...glue it down.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
You could put a metal plate on the other side of the door and then drill thru both and thru bolt it. Use locktite on those bolts. If you use carriage bolts with the round head out then they cannot be taken off from the outside.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

GaPete
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a piece of aluminum plate 5" x 5" with MANY short screws and then screwed the actuator to that. It has been 3 years with no problems.