cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

suburban water heater

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
our NTU 2001 cardinal. water heater is 16 yrs old. seems to work ok, does take a long time to heat. pulled anode rod, all gone.
how long should a heater last. should I think of getting another. plan on keeping trailer for some time. also should I replace electric heating element.
thanks
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚
19 REPLIES 19

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
mileshuff wrote:
My understanding is Atwood uses an aluminum tank hence no anode rod. But they use a steel threaded insert welded to the aluminum tank to which the nylon drain plug threads in. Won't the insert or weld corrode just the same way the Suburban would?

Aluminum threaded insert.that is reason for nylon plug....plug threads softer then the aluminum threads.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
just ordered it from PPL
398.00 shipped
will take old one to cabin mountain.
thanks for the help
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
My understanding is Atwood uses an aluminum tank hence no anode rod. But they use a steel threaded insert welded to the aluminum tank to which the nylon drain plug threads in. Won't the insert or weld corrode just the same way the Suburban would?
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

jimmyfred
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
jimmyfred wrote:
bbaker2001 wrote:
our NTU 2001 cardinal. water heater is 16 yrs old. seems to work ok, does take a long time to heat. pulled anode rod, all gone.
how long should a heater last. should I think of getting another. plan on keeping trailer for some time. also should I replace electric heating element.
thanks

............My WH is 17 years old , I quit using the electric element years previous , because I believe it causes electrolysis within the tank ! I turn it on(gas) when I need hot water and OFF , when I don't . Leaving the gas or electric , OR both on 24\7 is a waste of resources and a bit foolish in my opinion .
............IF , I turn off the gas at 10:00pm , the water will still be warm at 6:00am , even at temps down to 30f or so . On really cold nights I may leave the gas on to preempt any possibility of the tank freezing . , jf

Curious..
Do you turn water heater at home on/off or would that be foolish?

And are you aware that electrolysis occurs whether you use or even have an electric element?

..........My RV , is my home ! Yes I'm aware the Electrolysis occurs regardless of the electric element but I can control the level of activity by not using the heating element , and by turning off the gas heat when I have no need of hot water . My suburban heater maintains hot water for a long time even with the gas turned off ! , jf
2003 Chevy 8.1 Dually 2Wdr.
1999 Travel Supreme , 33 RLSS
20K Reese , Prodigy etc.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Suburban uses a Steel Tank........glass-lined on inside (reason for anode rod) but exterior rusts away.

Your tank is a bit flaky and 16 yrs. old???

New 10 gallon combo with electronic ignition (SW10DE).....$390 or so plus shipping or not---depends
BUT that would NOT include a new door......$40

PPL

Best Converter (Funny place to get a WH)

Amazon

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
could not get rid of odor. painted floor, linoleum was lifting around edges, sign of leak somewhere. took out heater, and wife said it smelled musty. took off the foam insulation, and shows signs of flaking. rust showing also.
it is all is dry, but still has smell,
but does this look bad enough for replacement. and where would be best price. 10 gal DE suburban
out of 2001 cardinal

BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
jimmyfred wrote:
bbaker2001 wrote:
thanks

............My WH is 17 years old , I quit using the electric element years previous , because I believe it causes electrolysis within the tank ! I turn it on(gas) when I need hot water and OFF , when I don't . Leaving the gas or electric , OR both on 24\7 is a waste of resources and a bit foolish in my opinion .
............IF , I turn off the gas at 10:00pm , the water will still be warm at 6:00am , even at temps down to 30f or so . On really cold nights I may leave the gas on to preempt any possibility of the tank freezing . , jf

Curious..
Do you turn water heater at home on/off or would that be foolish?

And are you aware that electrolysis occurs whether you use or even have an electric element?

jimmyfred
Explorer
Explorer
bbaker2001 wrote:
thanks

2003 Chevy 8.1 Dually 2Wdr.
1999 Travel Supreme , 33 RLSS
20K Reese , Prodigy etc.

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
cpaulsen wrote:
Wheter you use propane or electric on a Suburban WH......you still use the anode rod.

True.....

But I think 'Mike_uswest' was referring to difficulty in removing electric element and decided to just use the propane system

Right, the anode rod comes out easily. That is part of my winterizing chore. It is hard to get to the electric element to get a good grip on it. I'm sure it has never been out in 22 years.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
cpaulsen wrote:
Wheter you use propane or electric on a Suburban WH......you still use the anode rod.

True.....

But I think 'Mike_uswest' was referring to difficulty in removing electric element and decided to just use the propane system

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
cpaulsen

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
You should pull the elec element and inspect it. If the anode rod is gone then the element may well be corroded. May be time to replace both.

I found that easier said than done. Got the socket they make to do that, penetrating oil, and no go. I gave up and figured I would just use propane. It is frozen in there tight.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
bbaker2001 wrote:
thanks all
will order parts and flush.
is the flush kit from Amazon really needed.

The 'wand' that attaches to a garden hose works OK
You stick it in thru drain hole and can blast away......up/down/sideways and at least on Suburban the drain hole is bigger so wand doesn't get completely in the way (Suburban 3/4"-----Atwood 1/2")

I remove drain plug....then turn on water supply and let it sorta power wash the tank....helps blow any stuff on bottom of tank out drain hole (nothing in hole blocking)

PLUS with Suburban you have the option of blasting away thru electric element opening when you pull the element as it is in outside compartment. (Atwood is inside on backside of tank)

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
thanks all
will order parts and flush.
is the flush kit from Amazon really needed.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal