cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions Please, hitch and chocks

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Have ordered a small 5th for pickup on the other side of the continent this summer. 20' long, GVWR approx 5000 lbs, pin weight dry approx 550 lbs. It's the twin axle bigger brother to this one. This will be my first foray into 5th wheels and twin axles, I could use some assistance choosing a hitch and chocks.

The trailer manufacturer offers to sell and install an optional hitch, the 15K Pro Series. As far as I can tell 15k is as small as hitches get although it is pretty serious over kill. Am I correct in assuming that for a small load like this trailer any 15/16k hitch will work? Any one brand better suited for my needs? How about the mounts that leave the bed empty once you remove the hitch, are they worth considering? Price is of course a concern but not to override quality or ease of install and removal. The truck has 2200 lb payload, 8' bed.

Any preference in a set of chocks? looked over the Bal-X and the Rotochoks, to me it looks like the Roto's may be a better option as they would seem t take up less storage space which may be an issue with a small trailer. I'm also figuring to pick up a set of the rubber chocks at Harbor Freight.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA
12 REPLIES 12

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
The truth is, you need a hitch. You do not need mechanical between the tire chocks. Start out with good old fashioned tapered wheel chocks, either from a store or cut your own from some lumber. You need those anyway, because between the tire chocks alone are not safe.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Holiday_Ramble1
Explorer
Explorer
RotoChocks,,,,none better at any cost.

hermy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a big fan of the B&w hitches for a few reasons- the quality of design and production is obvious, the clear and clean bed when hitch is removed and the integrity of the company. For chocks I have had great luck with the BAL xchocks.

Jim_Sharon
Explorer
Explorer
Reese & bal-chocks (2) work for me
2006 Wildcat 27RL
2006 2500HD w/Allison/Duramax
KB3TXH

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I have a set of roto's and x's out in the bsrn. I much prefer the way the mechanism in the x's work.

I switched to rotos because of how close the tires are together. The x's would not quite squeeze in there.

BTW, I never noticed and adverse reaction that my tires had from metal of the x's. :h And if the rotos are rubber it is hard stuff, cus mine are harder than wood pecker's lips.

happy holidays

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I like the B&W hitches for the completely empty bed at the end.

I like the Rotochocks because I like supporting the little guy. They've treated us fantastically. I don't like the metal X-Chocks against my tires (the Rotochocks are rubber) - but lots of people use them with no issues.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
That's what it's looking like, think I'll go with the Roto's once I can get a wheel distance and let the price pick a hitch. They all look pretty much the same to me, price and function.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
14 Escape 5.0 TA

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hitch is a personal preference type deal, several are really good, no way to positively say this is the best. Chocks are kinda the same, I personally believe you can't beat Rotochock
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks, I found plenty of info via the search.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
14 Escape 5.0 TA

overthehillbill
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Try searching this Forum in the Fifth-Wheels section for chocks and read what has already been posted.

You might want to check out the B&W Patriot hitch.Hitch.
Chocks
Bill
'08 Cedar Creek 32TK, 35'9", 13,990#
'01 F-250,Lariat, 7.3L, SC, Auto, LB, JW Towmaster Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP custom tunes, 4" Turbo back exhaust, Auto Meter Gauges, Firestone Air Bags. '07 Headlights and Grille, Prodigy P-3.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Try searching this Forum in the Fifth-Wheels section for chocks and read what has already been posted.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Beartoo
Explorer
Explorer
A 15 K would work fine that is what I have an I am glade I went with it years ago. Then I had a 24 foot trailer, now I moved up to a 28 foot and didn't have to invest in a new hitch. I have the bal-x and they work well. Good Luck with the new 5 er.
DH - Bear
DW - Marge
Buster - English Springer Spaniel
Molly - English Springer Spaniel Puppy
07 Silverado 2500HD, Dmax, Allison Trany
Husky 15K
2008 Wildcat 24RL (Old Camper)
2009 Open Range 280 RLS (New)