cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surprised when I found this shackel bolt

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer

I am getting ready for a trip this weekend and craweled under the trailer to install a new sewer cap. This trailer is only 5 monthes old so not sure when the nut may have backed out. Lucky to have found it now.
2017 Chevy HD 3500 Dually LTZ D/A combo crew cab / Bilstein 4600's / Ride Rite air bags w remote / 50 gal transfer flow Aux tank / Trailersaver BD5
2020 Arctic Fox 32-5m with most options + 17.5 wheel & tire combo
58 REPLIES 58

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
As for the Ubolts if there is enough bolt I recommend double nutting them.

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
While your down there checking the bolts on the springs don't forget the nuts on the top of the U bolts that hold everything together.

After one broke free and had one of the axles pointed in the wrong direction I checked them all and many were loose.

Very common problem.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Wood chip wrote:
My trailer was repaired today and OutdoorRV came through with the quick approval to have it repaired near my house. The hangers and bushing were ok and new bolt was installed. Took about an hour with 2 guys. I re-tightened all the bolts. I will do this annually moving forward. Thanks for replys.

Love a story with a happy ending.

Good to hear, and good for you!
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting the results
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer was repaired today and OutdoorRV came through with the quick approval to have it repaired near my house. The hangers and bushing were ok and new bolt was installed. Took about an hour with 2 guys. I re-tightened all the bolts. I will do this annually moving forward. Thanks for replys.
2017 Chevy HD 3500 Dually LTZ D/A combo crew cab / Bilstein 4600's / Ride Rite air bags w remote / 50 gal transfer flow Aux tank / Trailersaver BD5
2020 Arctic Fox 32-5m with most options + 17.5 wheel & tire combo

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
64thunderbolt wrote:
OK, who has the popcorn?

Those of us with a little common sense and who are not related to that kid with a finger in the dike, have already left the theatre .

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, who has the popcorn?
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
PRodacy wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:
The bolts on my trailer not only had the knurled portion on the head end but on the thread/nut end the threaded section is smaller diameter than the body. This gives a shoulder for the nut to be torqued against and control the distance from the nut to the head.

My shackle bolts are not anything you will find except at a trailer supply or someone that carries shackle bolts. They are a special single purpose item.

Mine look like these.

Wet Bolts

I had not heard of wet bolts before. Can someone explain how they work? The link didn't provide any information. Do they just provide a layer of grease between the bolt and sleeve? Is there a grease seal somewhere on them? Zerk fittings? Thanks. Always good to learn new things.

The kits I've seen have greasable bolts (a zerk fitting on one end, drilled lengthwise and a cross-hole in the middle), new bronze bushings and heavier (thicker) shackles. They greatly increase suspension life.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
The bolts on my trailer not only had the knurled portion on the head end but on the thread/nut end the threaded section is smaller diameter than the body. This gives a shoulder for the nut to be torqued against and control the distance from the nut to the head.

My shackle bolts are not anything you will find except at a trailer supply or someone that carries shackle bolts. They are a special single purpose item.

Mine look like these.

Wet Bolts

I had not heard of wet bolts before. Can someone explain how they work? The link didn't provide any information. Do they just provide a layer of grease between the bolt and sleeve? Is there a grease seal somewhere on them? Zerk fittings? Thanks. Always good to learn new things.
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer

Mine look like these.

Wet Bolts

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
SabreCanuck wrote:
It appears there are a few nuts loose here.

X2 LOL this made my day. Sometimes I think this should be RV.NUT!!!!
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
It appears there are a few nuts loose here.
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚

face_down
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
None of these bolts are suitable as they do not have the knurled portion below the head. The shackle bolts do. It is designed to lock the bolt so it cannot rotate and wear out the holes in the spring hanger.

B.O.

Thanks...did not see that the first time.
2016 Keystone Carbon 357
2006 Ford F350 4X4 CC/LB/DRW (aka Big Sexy)
Reese 20K Goose Box - Draw-Tite Remove-a-Ball

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
oldbeek wrote:
Now the problem is that the shackle bolt hole is wallowed out. The factory bolt has serrations on the head end that forces into the support hole to keep the bolt from turning. Now the bolt is going to turn in the shackle support instead of in the bushing. In a short period of time the bolt will start to be cut by turning in the support instead of the bushing. The only long term answer for any RV is to install a wet bolt shackle kit. (Greaseable)

Glad Outdoors is stepping up on this. I'd be very inclined to add the wet bolts all around, though the new bolts would likely have the same issue with the wallowed out hangar hole. I'd =really= push to have the hangar cut off and a new one installed.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member