cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surprised when I found this shackel bolt

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer

I am getting ready for a trip this weekend and craweled under the trailer to install a new sewer cap. This trailer is only 5 monthes old so not sure when the nut may have backed out. Lucky to have found it now.
2017 Chevy HD 3500 Dually LTZ D/A combo crew cab / Bilstein 4600's / Ride Rite air bags w remote / 50 gal transfer flow Aux tank / Trailersaver BD5
2020 Arctic Fox 32-5m with most options + 17.5 wheel & tire combo
58 REPLIES 58

oldbeek
Explorer
Explorer
Now the problem is that the shackle bolt hole is wallowed out. The factory bolt has serrations on the head end that forces into the support hole to keep the bolt from turning. Now the bolt is going to turn in the shackle support instead of in the bushing. In a short period of time the bolt will start to be cut by turning in the support instead of the bushing. The only long term answer for any RV is to install a wet bolt shackle kit. (Greaseable)
1994 27sl Alpenlite with many mods, 2001 Dodge Cummins 2x4 3.54 Auto trans built shift kit and 2nd gear lock up mod. Mojave Green billet, triple disc low stall torque converter. Gauges and raptor 3/8inch fuel system. 12.5 mpg avg

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
Please report back on what they did to repair this, enquiring minds want to know. Good luck
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
psford wrote:
Wood chip wrote:
psford wrote:
psuce wrote:
psford wrote:
Probably all he is going to get told is its his issue ,should check the suspension, which he did, and caught the problem.

Bingo. Should be part of your visual check list before leaving on any trip.

I don't think he is going to get much resolution, but hopefully they will do something, but as I said fix it ,and move on ,the sky is not falling at this point.

I have an RV repair shop that is well thought of that is 1 mile from my house and OutdoorsRV has told me to limp it over there in the AM and they would take care of it. I can easily keep it under 20mph on a backroad so should be good.

Good for them ,thats good news, it won't be much of a fix.

I think it is great when you can directly talk to the factory and bypass the dealership. Not sure if this is the norm or not.
2017 Chevy HD 3500 Dually LTZ D/A combo crew cab / Bilstein 4600's / Ride Rite air bags w remote / 50 gal transfer flow Aux tank / Trailersaver BD5

psford
Explorer
Explorer
Wood chip wrote:
psford wrote:
psuce wrote:
psford wrote:
Probably all he is going to get told is its his issue ,should check the suspension, which he did, and caught the problem.

I don't think he is going to get much resolution, but hopefully they will do something, but as I said fix it ,and move on ,the sky is not falling at this point.

I have an RV repair shop that is well thought of that is 1 mile from my house and OutdoorsRV has told me to limp it over there in the AM and they would take care of it. I can easily keep it under 20mph on a backroad so should be good.

Good for them ,thats good news, it won't be much of a fix.

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
psford wrote:
psuce wrote:
psford wrote:

psford
Explorer
Explorer
psuce wrote:
psford wrote:

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
face_down wrote:
Lowes sells different grades of bolts, a grade 8 bolt is a grade 8 bolt no matter where you buy it. You can identify the grade of a bolt by the lines on the top of the hex head.

None of these bolts are suitable as they do not have the knurled portion below the head. The shackle bolts do. It is designed to lock the bolt so it cannot rotate and wear out the holes in the spring hanger.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

psuce
Explorer
Explorer
psford wrote:

psford
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
So he should just lie if there's a problem later and he's asked about this? Nice advice.

The problem already exists , replace with OEM Bolt, and nut ,there is no secret to a shackle bolt ,and nut. Get one at any axle shop. Check the nylon bushing replace if necessary, probably chewed up a bit.

Its could of been bad, but at this point it was caught the sky is not falling. Contact whomever you want on the issue . IMO the hassle is not going to be worth it, nuts come loose all the time, and that can very well be the issue here. . Probably all he is going to get told is its his issue ,should check the suspension, which he did, and caught the problem.

face_down
Explorer
Explorer
Lowes sells different grades of bolts, a grade 8 bolt is a grade 8 bolt no matter where you buy it. You can identify the grade of a bolt by the lines on the top of the hex head.

2016 Keystone Carbon 357
2006 Ford F350 4X4 CC/LB/DRW (aka Big Sexy)
Reese 20K Goose Box - Draw-Tite Remove-a-Ball

psuce
Explorer
Explorer
"IF" you have to do it yourself, local Tractor Supply carries 9/16" diameter shackle bolts with nuts. I replaced all of mine on an open car trailer last year. I think they are around $10-15 each. Make sure of the diameter of your bolt as 9/16" is not a typical bolt you can find at Lowes. Also check the bushing inside the spring eye to make sure it's not beat up from the bolt being backed half way out. Tractor supply sells them also if it's a standard size. It's not a hard job to replace them if you need to do it yourself.

Ohiojude
Explorer
Explorer
Please contact the manufacturer. We had something similar and they sent a mobil guy out to our house to fix. CYA like someone else has said.
2015 Chevy 3500 LTZ diesel dually, Curt Q20 Hitch
**traded in-the lemon- 2012 Winnie Raven 5th Wheel**
for a marvelous-2014 Big Country 3596RE
Traveling with 3 wonderful Feline Furboys Milo, Mason and Mozart

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
I have emailed and left messages for OutdoorsRV + the dealer (Pan Pacific Sacramento) to let them know the situation. Making me nervous about getting it resolved by Friday. Like I said, I may have to do it myself if it gets to Wednesday and I have no resolution.

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if mentioned, but anyway with what you've already found, it sure would be a good idea to go around and check the remainder of those bolts under the fifth wheel.

One loose, there sure could be more.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
So he should just lie if there's a problem later and he's asked about this? Nice advice.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"