cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Swivel wheel questions,... need answers

Our_Place
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking into this setup for a Honda Goldwing F6B. My camper has already had the flimsy rear bumper removed and a 4x4x3/16 box tube in it's place with 2x4x3/16 frame extensions to hold that new rear bumper in place. There is a class IV receiver tube welded through that new bumper so the camper hitch is covered. My questions are the reliability of the swivel wheel itself. Does the tiny little wheel hold up? Is there problems loading and unloading the bike from it? I don't really want to tow doubles as this was my original plan but I keep hearing more and more stories of people getting stopped for it. I considered the Idaho tote but at that cost I could just trade in my camper and buy a toy hauler. Looking for help from an actual owner that can give real world advice,...thanks!
2008 Silverado 3500HD crew cab 4x4 SRW Duramax Allison 6 speed
2014 Cougar 327 RES "Campy"
9 REPLIES 9

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
We have had our 58DW for 4 years now. Put about 6000 miles on it, using it with our 1993 GL1500SE. Been to Montana and back with it.

Has worked excellent when loaded up. Be careful when empty, as bad roads can cause bouncing at high speeds. Not an issue when loaded.

Highway bridge aprons are the toughest on it. I think if my 5th had shock absorbers, it would probably not be as tough.

I use a rear camera to keep an eye on things.

I used to use Black Widow 12ft long ramps (and I do recommend them). However, just because, I added a Rampage lift.

Be sure to check Craigslist. That is where we found ours.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
Our Place wrote:

Thanks for the input from an actual owner. I have also been researching the "Smart trailer" listed above in a link and I like the features of it a little better but info is hard to come by on that brand and their web site leaves more questions than answers, as they want you to call them.

I've been to the "Smart Trailer" facility in Lakeland and they are very knowledgeable and helpful. I went there, planning on getting the 3 wheel version for our golf cart, but plans changed.

They primarily do custom builds and they want you to call so he can fully find out your needs. Even though they are built in FL, if it is on the back of a FW FL still considers it triple towing. That was one thing he stressed.
Grandma in front of her retirement home..
She lets Grumpy drive!!

Our_Place
Explorer
Explorer
Dufus wrote:
I owned a DW58 Swivel Wheel pulling it behind a 37 ft Excel. It was very reliable. I chose the dual wheel for stability and because I wasn't sure the single wheel could handle the weight. I had a Kawasaki trike which was about 750 lbs. Some folks worry about "caster flutter" but my wife, traveling behind in the car, never noticed any problems. The ONLY issue is to be sure the trike is secured thoroughly, as there is some bouncing. There is an issue with the dual wheel in that you will need to install two class IV receivers to accommodate the unit. This will require a well qualified welder. In addition, when turning be careful with "swing out" of the unit because I came close to hitting vehicles next to me. This is true whether you have the single or double wheel unit. I also owned "Big Boy" ramps for loading and unloading. Your Honda may bottom with the shorter ramp.

Thanks for the input from an actual owner. I have also been researching the "Smart trailer" listed above in a link and I like the features of it a little better but info is hard to come by on that brand and their web site leaves more questions than answers, as they want you to call them. I have spoke with the people at Swivelwheel and the single wheel model will work for me but it will NOT haul a golf cart because of the weight. This is looking more like a purchase of an enclosed trailer and a double tow to get what I want. I would love to get the Idaho tote but the cost is just out of reach!

Dufus
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a DW58 Swivel Wheel pulling it behind a 37 ft Excel. It was very reliable. I chose the dual wheel for stability and because I wasn't sure the single wheel could handle the weight. I had a Kawasaki trike which was about 750 lbs. Some folks worry about "caster flutter" but my wife, traveling behind in the car, never noticed any problems. The ONLY issue is to be sure the trike is secured thoroughly, as there is some bouncing. There is an issue with the dual wheel in that you will need to install two class IV receivers to accommodate the unit. This will require a well qualified welder. In addition, when turning be careful with "swing out" of the unit because I came close to hitting vehicles next to me. This is true whether you have the single or double wheel unit. I also owned "Big Boy" ramps for loading and unloading. Your Honda may bottom with the shorter ramp.
Full timer
2013 Excel 36GKM Limited
1997 Freightliner FL50 CAT 3126 w/ Allison 6spd Auto
2007 Toyota Camry
2004 Kawasaki 750 Vulcan Trike

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

We are fulltimer's and for several year we used a "Idaho Tote" attached to our 5er to carry a first Yamaha Rhino and then a Smart Car. It will easily Carry you large MC. They are more expensive than a swivel wheel but you get what you pay for.

Idaho Tote

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Followed my friend down to Florida on I75...he had his golf cart on a swivel wheel.

We had a problem with the lug nuts constantly backing off. We had to re-tighten them every couple hundred miles.

I would not trust a swivel wheel on a reinforced bumper...that's exactly what my friend did and the bumper eventually tore away from the frame rails.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Our_Place
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
I wouldn't trust my $15-20,000.00 motorcycle to be safe safe rolling down the road on one little 8" wheel. Do you really think you would? What not get a proper trailer for it and tow doubles..

B.O.

Towing double was my original plan, however what are you suppose to do when you get stopped and they make you unhook that extra trailer? Leaving an expensive bike and trailer along side the road is not a viable option. I'm not new to towing double either as I towed a jeep and a boat behind my class A coach. The little 8" wheel is one of my original questions, that's why I was looking for answers from somebody that owns one to see exactly how well they hold up. With the way the swivel wheel is set up and the weight of my bike there would only be about 500 lbs. on that tire that is rated for 1075 lbs.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't believe that I would go with the single wheel for that much weight. I used the double wheel Smart Trailer for several years and had no issues with it. Most of them are set up to have about half the weight on the 5th wheel, so make sure your frame and receiver assembly/ies are strong enough. A camera to keep an eye on things is a good idea, and always be aware of the lengthened tail swing.

We were never stopped when we traveled and we went through, and stayed in, several states that don't allow double towing. Personally I think it was because the swivel-wheel type trailers are a bit confusing regulation-wise and LEO's just don't want to hassle with them. Dunno.

I used a regular fold up ramp to load and unload, and it was never any problem. The swivel wheel trailers are not as expensive as an Idaho Tote, but still not cheap.

Good luck.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't trust my $15-20,000.00 motorcycle to be safe safe rolling down the road on one little 8" wheel. Do you really think you would? What not get a proper trailer for it and tow doubles..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS