cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tag renewal!!!

Durango1500
Explorer
Explorer
So just got my tag renewed for my 15 durango. I've had it 6 months now but the tag cost $320. Does this sound on par with everyone else? I may be way out of line but assumed being a rec vehicle that doesn't see much action wouldn't cost more than my 15 silverado 2500hd tag.
41 REPLIES 41

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I did not know how inexpensive it is to live in New Mexico, until I read some of these posts.

Truck and 5er together were less than $100 but they are both over 5 yrs old so that cut the tax by 40%

We have a 8% sales tax in the county but property tax is low (around 500 per 100,000 of value). We have income tax but it works out to be around 1% for me.

Maybe being a poor state has some advantages although Arizona is right down there with New Mexico, Louisiana, and Mississippi in the poverty ratings.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
I used your formula as stated, and my registration for a new car purchased a year ago was way way cheaper than what your formula came up with, about 40% less.

The value AZ uses is the stripped base model MSRP, not the sticker price of the car you bought. That could account for the difference.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
My 2002, see the sig, is $325 if I am not mistaken. One reason we are looking at moving to Idaho.....And our politics fit much better in Idaho than in the remake of the Titanic called california.
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
DTank,

I love CA - and I could probably suck it up on income taxes to retire there for what it offers to an outdoorsman, but most states are pay me one way or the other: lower income taxes but higher property taxes, no income tax (FL) but higher fees on everything. LA is lower income tax and fees but relatively high sales tax. CA is high income tax, high registration fees, high property tax . . .

State has gotten itself in such a bind with high pensions now that it's not as simple as cutting taxes or fees. Hope you get some rain and at least solve that problem.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
yep Alabama has ad valorem tax. That's why we haven't moved to Alabama. Our tags are much cheaper in Florida!

But do you have a 2 1/4% sales tax on your cars, boats and RV's? Not.

Florida also has no heart when it comes to property taxes. My daughter's $185K house outside St. Augustine has $2800 taxes and $2200 HOA fees. The same house in Alabama would have property taxes of about $500.

And to get homeowners' insurance almost takes an act of God--and a very fat wallet.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
WyoTraveler wrote:
RVing isn't cheap. My MH and toad is $2500 a year for tags:B

For you...

That's crazy. And that's coming from someone in CA.

For "N-Trouble" (in No. CA) and WyoTraveler....

The "tags" on a MDT - Medium Duty Truck registered in CA will easily match Wyo-Traveler's $2500.......PLUS (now) you are req'd to stop at scales!! (Doesn't matter if you're towing your personal 5th wheel).

Bucks! $$ - It's a state by state thing.

States derive their revenue...one way or another.

It's appropriately called..."BOHICA" (Bend Over Here It comes Again)

The CA thing.......

In CA, besides expensive annual registration (tags) every pickup -including vehicles like a Chevy Avalanche with a tiny bed- must be registered as a commercial vehicle. Been that way forever!
*NO* non-commercial or "private truck".
(Yes there are a few - very, very few exceptions - and almost all of those have recently been eliminated)

When my pickup was new CA registration = $670.
(which included $225. for commercial plates)
South Dakota, private truck = $65. (Same year, same p/up)

CA neighbor bought a new gas MH - same time - about *twice* the price of my pickup. His CA registration was about $100 *LESS*.
(no commercial fees)

CA - my 2006 Jayco (34' 5th) is currently $278.
CA - 2005 1T pickup is currently $129.
(Would be $354, but don't have to pay the $225 commercial fee as DW is handicapped)

CA negatives on RV purchases - besides the registration fees - about 9% sales tax (varies slightly by county)..:(.......

However -(the CA "Bonus"..:C)..) - take delivery out-of-state, and keep it out of state for 1 year (you are supposed to be traveling in it and provide receipts to the BOE) and CA will waive the sales tax.
(Won't help with registration fee/s)

BTW - don't even *think* LLC in CA!!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think I am glad I live in Oregon!
Two year registration is just over $200 with 60% going to SP system on the 5er. The fee is based on length. I consider it fair, more than the TV, but a 5er is a luxury!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Brandon327
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was about $800 in Mississippi
2013 gmc 3500 hd cc Drw 4x4
2016 Dutchmen voltage 3990

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
yep, perm tag in Louisiana, no renewal ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
In Arizona tags are based on 60% of MSRP, $2.80 per $100 value.
For a $30000 vehicle as follows:
$30000 * .60 = $18000
$18000/100 * $2.80 = $504

The MSRP value depreciates 16.5% per year after so registration fees drop each year.

Because fees are based on value the registration fee is deductible on taxes.

Consider yourself lucky you live where its quite a bit cheaper!

I live in AZ also, and yes, registration fees are high, but mine are nowhere near that high. I used your formula as stated, and my registration for a new car purchased a year ago was way way cheaper than what your formula came up with, about 40% less.

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Just paid my registration for the Colby T. It was $70.50. $2.00 was an online processing fee and $5.00 was a donation to the Texas Parks and Wildlife. My Silverado plates are about the same.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
And boats are $24/4 years - because it's Louisiana and you have to have a boat!
F-250 6.2 Gasser

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Louisiana: Pay sales tax if you are transferring vehicle into state, but fees are low if you purchase in LA where you would pay sales tax anyway.

About $50 in fees first year but annual is about as low as it gets. Live in New Orleans and they will hit you with a property tax on top of the state fee.

Motorhome $50/2 years
Trailer: $10/yr, $40/4 $70/permanent
F-250 6.2 Gasser

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
In Arizona tags are based on 60% of MSRP, $2.80 per $100 value.
For a $30000 vehicle as follows:
$30000 * .60 = $18000
$18000/100 * $2.80 = $504

The MSRP value depreciates 16.5% per year after so registration fees drop each year.

Because fees are based on value the registration fee is deductible on taxes.

Consider yourself lucky you live where its quite a bit cheaper!
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)