Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tie downs for 2 motorcycles

Kober
Explorer
Explorer

Click For Full-Size Image.

So I tied down 2 bikes with disastrous results. Since there is no center tiedown in front for both handlebars, I had to use the middle one to keep both bikes upright. As you can see that was too much for it mainly, I suspect because there was no shock absorption like there is when you compress the front forks as you tie the handlebars down.

Question, Is there a reason the manufacturer never installed a center front tiedown or can I install one myself?
2014 Coachmen Freelander 29qb, towing a trailer with my toys:
2020 Honda Talon SXS, or
2006 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2008 Road Star 1100
PATRIOT GUARD RIDER, AMERICAN LEGION RIDER
Retired 25 years US ARMY, retired 24 years business owner
16 REPLIES 16

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Why wouldn't you tie to the opposite wheel chock? You don't need a centre tie down.

Personally, I would just pull down the underbelly and bolt your tie down with big washers. When I installed my chocks, I was underneath making sure I got 2 of the 4 bolts through steel cross-members. I suspect you'll find that there isn't much important under your garage floor.

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
Tie down pull out like in the picture is from two typical causes; improper installation for device weight rating. Also, two large bikes could actually exceed the "working load limit" of the tie down device - even if properly mounted with backup plate in a location without frame connection.

Op runs the risk of having wood pullout with e track, too. Tie down points need through bolting and or frame connection to be reliable. Especially with heavy loading.

Really important to ensure what ever tie down system is chosen that the "working load limit" for each piece of the system is not exceeded for safe, reliable transportation.

Kober
Explorer
Explorer
1320Fastback wrote:
Ive never seen them not installed properly but apparently Fuzion found a way to do it.

I would crawl under the trailer and secure them properly where I need them instead of etrac.

It has a heated basement and I'm not sure I want to dismantle the bottom to get there.
2020 Honda Talon SXS, or
2008 Road Star 1100

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
My Fuzion 325 supposedly has the tie downs welded right to the frame.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Ive never seen them not installed properly but apparently Fuzion found a way to do it.

I would crawl under the trailer and secure them properly where I need them instead of etrac.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Y-Guy
LowRyter wrote:
I've never seen a tie down hook come loose before.

It does happen. Many hooks are just screwed into the wood floor, not through it and rarely though a support beam.

When I installed my eTrack I put a few bolts through the floor and several screws into the wood. But in my case my ATV tires sat on top of the eTrack which helped to keep things in place too.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
I've never seen a tie down hook come loose before.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer

It is important to properly secure your cargo.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Kober
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
It looks like that tie down was just bolted into the floor and not secured well at all. I use Condor chocks to secure two bikes and use tie downs just snug, since the chocks will hold the bikes in place. I tie down the back of the bikes pretty securely and that is what keeps things from moving around too much.

I have two tie downs pulled tight on one D-ring in the floor and have never had it come loose like that one has. Something just isn't right with that one.

Yup.
2020 Honda Talon SXS, or
2008 Road Star 1100

Kober
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
It looks like that tie down was just bolted into the floor and not secured well at all. I use Condor chocks to secure two bikes and use tie downs just snug, since the chocks will hold the bikes in place. I tie down the back of the bikes pretty securely and that is what keeps things from moving around too much.

I have two tie downs pulled tight on one D-ring in the floor and have never had it come loose like that one has. Something just isn't right with that one.

Yep, just two wood screws and a sheetmetal screw into some thin metal in the center. I have lost confidence in the tiedowns and will install 3 E Tracks. The rig has a heated basement and I'm not ready to dismantle the underside so the tracks will be lagged on top.
2020 Honda Talon SXS, or
2008 Road Star 1100

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Holly Molly!! I'll just add even without a center point to tie down you can strap the handler bars together. I tie down left and right of the handle bar then one from one handle bar to the other. Then I compress my suspension and tie down the left and right side of the bikes. And a tie down foot peg to foot peg. And I make sure it's in gear. Then I tie down the back wheels as well. Note: I don't have wheel chalks either. That's messed up your hook plates pulled out!!
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Kober
Explorer
Explorer
Just got off the phone with the crew at Condor. What a great bunch of people!
I explained my situation and that I really did not want to install a third tiedown in front since the manufacturer didn't and I don't know what is down there in the heated basement and I might hit something vital.
The solution we came up with is E Track that does not have to be bolted through the floor and has plenty of holes for it to be lagged to the floor. I actually ordered enough E Track and clips to run 3 8ft tracks which will give me the flexibility to tie down whatever other toys Santa Claus or the tooth fairy my bring in the future.
I've owned those two Condor Pit-Stops for a number of years and I'm absolutely happy with the design and quality of materials they used in making these.
It is not often that you find a company that sells a quality product and has fast and friendly tech support to boot. The fact that it's all made in the USA is icing on the cake.
2020 Honda Talon SXS, or
2008 Road Star 1100

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
I only haul one motorcycle, but have seen several with two that also used the eTrax for tie down of the front and back. I have also seen a chock similar to the one you have that had eyebolts on the front crosspiece that allowed tie downs to go from the handlebars (I use the triple tree)to compress the front shocks. On my Goldwing, I use tie downs on the back only to keep it from bouncing around.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)