cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire advice please

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 Montana 3455SA, bought used, last summer. It has a dry weight of approximately 12010lbs, GVWR of 15560lbs. GAWR of 6750lbs. IT has a mishmash of about 3 different brands of ST 80psi tires on it, all of which look to be in pretty good shape. My question is... I found some Goodyear G614's locally for $300 apiece. They are 235 85R 16. The current tires on the camper are 235 80R 16. Will the "85R" tires fit on my rims? Also, My rims are stamped "Max Load 3750lbs 110 PSI". We are pulling it to the Myrtle Beach in May and I am putting new tires of some kind on it. Are the Goodyear's a good choice? Any other tires you would recommend? Thanks in advance!
2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA Quad Slide
4 Goodyear G614's
2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab
6.7L Cumminsยฎ Turbo Diesel
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

*I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*
22 REPLIES 22

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
Tennessee_Nomad wrote:
I have a 2010 Montana 3455SA, bought used, last summer. It has a dry weight of approximately 12010lbs, GVWR of 15560lbs. GAWR of 6750lbs. IT has a mishmash of about 3 different brands of ST 80psi tires on it, all of which look to be in pretty good shape. My question is... I found some Goodyear G614's locally for $300 apiece. They are 235 85R 16. The current tires on the camper are 235 80R 16. Will the "85R" tires fit on my rims? Also, My rims are stamped "Max Load 3750lbs 110 PSI". We are pulling it to the Myrtle Beach in May and I am putting new tires of some kind on it. Are the Goodyear's a good choice? Any other tires you would recommend? Thanks in advance!

Yes. For sure. I went from Marathhon Goodyears to the Goodyeaar G614, and so far, no problems. $300 per tire is a good deal. Get a metal stem.
ken
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only chain I could find that sold them locally was Big O Tires . I bought mine from SimpleTire.com and was very happy with the price, shipping cost, and delivery time. But you need a person to mount and balance the tires if you get them online.

People that buy the Goodyear tires seem to be happy with them. But buying a tire because the company will pay the damages when/if it blows out and mashes up the side of your trailer is, to me, not necessarily a reason to pay a premium for them. Kind of like paying more for a car because the resale might be higher when you sell it. Kind of convoluted logic, IMO of course.

The newer G614 seems to be holding up very well. There were some issues with them a few years ago from what I understand, but that does seem to be behind them. I can't say anything bad about them, and I bought the Sailun because it was the difference between over $2000 for the Goodyear and about $1200 for the Sailun. $800 will buy a fair amount of gas. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I have.

http://simpletire.com/catalog?select=1&brand=83&content=42138&meta=14&loadindex=129

They also offer a military discount. Any tire shop can install and balance them.

Use the steel valve stems because of the pressure. I ordered mine Mon after 5 and they arrived Wed morn. They give shipping quotes. I saw a listing the other day for a 80 width which was exactly the same diameter as the Towmax/Marathons.

Some have asked about the load rating, mine are marked as LT tires and are rated 3750 lbs @ 110PSI. Since they are on a 7k axle I have plenty of spare room. The new ones are marked ST and have a higher rating????

I looked around and found a few dealers that carried them but the price was way higher. You can arrange with a dealer to install them and have them shipped to the dealer...

Have fun. I'm enjoying mine.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are killing me. I was going to buy Goodyear G614 tires, but from what I'm seeing, Sailun may be a better tire for me. But I can't seem to find anyone selling them. Does any tire chain carry them that you know of? I'm in Tucson.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, the only post I can find anywhere that mentions Sailun tire failures is one by "laknox" who says he read on RV.net about them in 2014, but can't remember positively. This was in a post from last year.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking too...never seen a reported failure.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
laknox wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
laknox wrote:
The other major upside to the GY tires is that, if there is a failure, they'll fix any damage. Sailun will not, but they are considerably cheaper.

Lyle
Can you cite instances where Sailun refused to repair damage? Or has it not happened and you're speculating? Personally I'd rather not have them fail in the first place. ๐Ÿ™‚

Um, use the SEARCH feature. ๐Ÿ™‚ I've seen more than a couple people post here, who had a Sailun fail and caused damage, and Sailun wouldn't cover damages. Others have said that, when they asked a Sailun dealer if damages would be covered, they were told "no". GY =will= cover damages in many cases, hence the higher price. It's an "insurance premium" you're paying for it by buying the GY tires.

Lyle
Okay, I'm going to need some help. I searched "Sailun failure", "Sailun damages", "Sailun blowout", "Sailun tire failure", "S637 failure", and got no hits. Could you post what search term you used.

Shoot, I can't even find any Sailun failures using Google. But I've only gone through nearly 500 posts about Sailuns, with no one posting about a Sailun failure. They must be out there somewhere. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
laknox wrote:
The other major upside to the GY tires is that, if there is a failure, they'll fix any damage. Sailun will not, but they are considerably cheaper.

Lyle
Can you cite instances where Sailun refused to repair damage? Or has it not happened and you're speculating? Personally I'd rather not have them fail in the first place. ๐Ÿ™‚

Can YOU cite where Sailun WILL pay for damages?

FACT is other than Road Hazard GY will replace tire along with fix any damages.
No, I cannot cite where Sailun WILL pay for damages, but I never said they would, so what's your point? I was merely asking for situations to back up the assertions that were made.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
laknox wrote:

Lyle

Um, use the SEARCH feature. ๐Ÿ™‚ I've seen more than a couple people post here, who had a Sailun fail and caused damage, and Sailun wouldn't cover damages. Others have said that, when they asked a Sailun dealer if damages would be covered, they were told "no". GY =will= cover damages in many cases, hence the higher price. It's an "insurance premium" you're paying for it by buying the GY tires.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
My 2006 carriage I bought new in 2006 had the chinese tomax tires. Same size as yours. They lasted 7000 miles. I bought the Michelin XPS Rib LT245/75 R-16 and never looked back. They not only have a steel belt like the rest but also have a steel belt on the side walls. Just pick up your old tire off the ground and then pick up the XPS Rib off the ground . You will feel the difference. Also remember it is a good habit to replace your tires every 5 years. You go by the date on the side of the tire not the date you bought it. I aways check the date on the side wall of the tire before I buy it. The tire could be sitting in their store room for 2 years but still be a new tire that has never been sold.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
laknox wrote:

Lyle

Can YOU cite where Sailun WILL pay for damages?

FACT is other than Road Hazard GY will replace tire along with fix any damages.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
laknox wrote:

Lyle
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
NHIrish wrote:
avvidclif1 wrote:
I would suggest the new Sailun LT235/80R16, same height as what you have and rated for 4080 lbs @ 110PSI. Just over half the cost of Goodyears. I have the 85 series and would have bought the 80 series but it wasn't out when I bought.

Your tires are 5-6 years old and I would definitely replace them, your choice as to how much you spend.

Just wondering if they have downgraded the tire...I'm seeing 3750 in the ratings...but either way, have not seen one bad review of this tire. Would be my choice and my last tire purchase was the Goodyear.
FWIW, when I bought my Sailuns three years ago they were rated at 3750 lbs., not 4080 lbs.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
avvidclif1 wrote:
I would suggest the new Sailun LT235/80R16, same height as what you have and rated for 4080 lbs @ 110PSI. Just over half the cost of Goodyears. I have the 85 series and would have bought the 80 series but it wasn't out when I bought.

Your tires are 5-6 years old and I would definitely replace them, your choice as to how much you spend.

Just wondering if they have downgraded the tire...I'm seeing 3750 in the ratings...but either way, have not seen one bad review of this tire. Would be my choice and my last tire purchase was the Goodyear.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W