cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire blow out....now have running light problems

7lazy77
Explorer
Explorer
Had a tire blow out on the passenger side of my trailer recently & it damaged the wiring in the wheel well. I don't know much on wiring, but I didn't think it would be to tough to match it all up again.....WRONG! I must of done something wrong because I have no RUNNING lights on the following lights:
-middle side clearance marker
-both end clearance markers
-both tail lights
The passenger side middle marker light (where blow out was) works along with the brake lights & turn signals in the rear, so I was wondering what I might have done wrong or how to fix it. I am including a couple of pictures of the incorrect wiring that I re-wired. Any information is appreciated.

2011 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis
2011 Raptor 3812 Toy Hauler
70's Red Dale Truck Camper
4 REPLIES 4

MiPaJacks
Explorer
Explorer
You have all wires connected together, You may have blown some fuses as it is connected now. Disconnect all of the new crimp on connectors. Try re-connecting the wires, same color to the same color wire. Since you are on the house side some manufacture's switch to black is hot and white is neutral (or ground) like in your house. Learn to use a volt meter and chase each wire's function.
Check E-bay for cheep volt meters.
Good luck
James

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Although most wiring is unique to wiring of that specific install but ETRAILER.COM has a couple of diagrams on how the trailers 6-WAY and 7-WAY cables are generally wired. Might give you some points on what to expect.

Matching up the colors is a great idea...

Most everything in todays wiring should have both positive and negative wires going to the lamps and not depending on a frame ground to make the connections. This too depends of who wired the trailer too I guess...

The basic color scheme for RV's is usually BLACK is hot +12VDC and WHITE is GND -12VDC. Any other color wire usually is hot +12VDC.

Other utility trailers follow the automotive industry color scheme being RED is hot +12VDC and BLACK is GND -12VDC... They sometimes get mixed together especially with the trailer safety lights wiring. Using a mulitmeter is best way out...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
First I would start by disconnecting the damaged wires. Get a test light and connect a good ground. Now turn on vehicle running lights and Four way flasher. Touch to wires leading form front of trailer. If light stays on it is the running lights, if it flashes it is the brake/turn signal. If no light from wire it is probably the ground. To test for ground, connect test light to 12 positive source and touch wire, if it goes on that is your ground. Once you find ground you should be able to connect it to the same color wire to the rear. Now touch on of the light wires to the other wires and see what happens. if brake/signal light comes on steady, that is the running light. If it flashes then you found the right wire. Then just connect up the other wire to the running lights and verify that they work.
Hoe this helps,.
Dr Quick

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Can't tell without knowing where the wires go. Normally you would match up the colors. Did some of the wires go to the wheel? Looks like you have connected all the wires together which is wrong.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel