cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Failures

dodge3500ctd
Explorer
Explorer
I believe I might have the record. 4 tire failures in less than 100 miles on the freeway. Yes, made in China. 1st one did not fail completely. A person behind us flagged us down about a bubble on a tire. Pulled over and changed right rear. That is the picture that shows the funny tread. Changed tire with the spare. 40 more miles, bang left rear. Had to go by a tire at Goodyear. Decided to head home. 20 more miles, bang right front. Damage to skirting and frame support. Bought 2nd tire and repaired damage to continue home. 15 more miles, bang left front. Stores closed and no more tires. Called Road America. Story for another time. Tow driver brought a tire on a rim from his personal stash and we installed on trailer. Made it home. Trailer is a Wildcat 30 foot. Weighs in at about 10,500 lbs. Tire pressure was checked before we left. Load range E tires. Factory tires were load range D. This is not a flogging of China tires. just curious if anybody can beat 4 failures in less than 100 miles.
Footnote Damage could have been much worse but still not acceptable.

30 REPLIES 30

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
dodge3500ctd wrote:
Well I just received the estimate for the repairs. 10,000 dollars. Yes, I said 10,000 dollars. This is a local auto body shop that also does RV work. They have a good reputation in my area. I was a bit shocked at the estimate given that there isn't any structural damage. They are replacing the lower body panel on the passenger side and repainting the one on the driver's side. There is a couple of what I would call outriggers that extend off the frame that need repair. One will need to be replaced and one rewelded. Attached is a better picture of the passenger side damage. The driver side damage is minimal. They will straighten the lower panel and repaint. This also includes 2 new wheels but not the tires.

Hell, I think I'd make a trip back to the factory, for that money.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

dodge3500ctd
Explorer
Explorer
Well I just received the estimate for the repairs. 10,000 dollars. Yes, I said 10,000 dollars. This is a local auto body shop that also does RV work. They have a good reputation in my area. I was a bit shocked at the estimate given that there isn't any structural damage. They are replacing the lower body panel on the passenger side and repainting the one on the driver's side. There is a couple of what I would call outriggers that extend off the frame that need repair. One will need to be replaced and one rewelded. Attached is a better picture of the passenger side damage. The driver side damage is minimal. They will straighten the lower panel and repaint. This also includes 2 new wheels but not the tires.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
rjsurfer wrote:
Had a BFG Commercial TA LT slip a tread a month ago and now just blew another a day ago. Dealer recommended changing the remaining three which I did.

When he looked up recalls on the BFG they all the sizes but mine on the list, go figure.

Treads on all tires where mint, maybe a 7000 miles on them BUT they have been on the trailer for 5 years

Made in America to.

There have been a few failures. Most including mine have been on 4-5 year old tires. I found the bulge and removed the tire at the campground. Stepped up to the Bridgestone R250's this time. They seem as much of a step up from the BFG's as the BFG's were from the OME Marathons
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
LOFAT36 wrote:
YnotTurbo wrote:
Very sorry to see your nice trailer tore up. I don't trust any of the tires made in China. My Goodyears have Made in the USA on them. I run Goodyear G614. I will not own anything but these. 110 PSI and built very well. I have had them for almost 5 years and keep the pressures at max prior to leaving for a trip. The down size,,, I will have to pay over $300.00 for 7 tires next spring.

Am I missing something here. $300.00 for 7 tires ??????

Typo,,, over $300 a piece... Sorry bout that...
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

Endricken
Explorer
Explorer
Agree!
I lost 3 BFG Commercial T/A Tires a few years ago. One was recalled (my newest at the time), one had a sidewall flap but was not catastrophic. My final just shy of 5 year old BFG Commercial T/A blew its tread last year. I now have 2 Michelin XPS Ribs and one recent Micelin LT M/S 2 got punctured at a toll booth approach on the IL Tollway this April. Bought a Bridgeston Duravis R250 to replace the spare Michelin LT M/S2 which I used to complete our trip to WI.
Just yesterday I removed the "spare" tire on my axle and got the Bridgestone Duravis down from the spare position to put it on the axle. The 3 month old Bridgestone Duravis that was never used was FLAT! Turns out the "quality" tire shop in Beloit WI did not clean the wheel well enough and the Valve Stem corroded. Hopefully the local tire shop did a better job and I finally got the Bridgestone on the Trailer. Will tow next week and see how far I get. I've had two tire failures since Jan this year - one a baseball sized bubble on a Nexxen Tire and the 2 year old MS/2 that got punctured on the IL Tollway. I pray I can travel the rest of the year without another tire issue.
Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
LOFAT36 wrote:
YnotTurbo wrote:
Very sorry to see your nice trailer tore up. I don't trust any of the tires made in China. My Goodyears have Made in the USA on them. I run Goodyear G614. I will not own anything but these. 110 PSI and built very well. I have had them for almost 5 years and keep the pressures at max prior to leaving for a trip. The down size,,, I will have to pay over $300.00 for 7 tires next spring.

Key word: "over"
As in "over" $300, which will certainly be the case whether he's buying good tires or bad ๐Ÿ˜‰

From reading all these threads about tires, I'm quite sure of one thing: trailer tires might fail.

Whether they're made in China, USA, Japan, or the North Pole they might fail.
If you buy ST, LT, bias ply, etc., they might fail.
If you maintain them and always run at specified pressure, they might fail.
Whether you have a TPMS or never check the pressure, they might fail.
Whether you run 10 year old tires 10,000 miles or 2 year old tires for 100 miles, they might fail.

My conclusion: buy the best tire you can afford, maintain them, and invest some quality time in prayer and hope that they don't fail.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

Ezlife55
Explorer
Explorer
To OP-your story makes me cringe, sorry for your nightmare.

Trailer should have come with 'E' tires, D's are maxed out at that weight.

I've been lucky with china bombs; got 15000 miles on a set of power tow e's without a problem.

Just bought a set of goodyr marathons...fingers crossed.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think Bridgestone is owned by Michelin. Bridgestone is a Japanese tire manufacturer who bought Firestone a decade or so ago.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
Been doing research on tires recently. I see the Goodyears are still Chinese made. Good or bad? Don't know.

Have my leanings towards BFG Commercials though I was victim to one of their recall tires about 5 years ago.

Since then I have had a bit of a dogs breakfast of different tires for one reason or another.

The latest plan is to take the 4 partially worn but young BFGs off the rear of the truck, put them on the trailer, & get new BFGs for the truck rear.

Put R250s or XPS Ribs on your trailer, and don't look back!!! Chris

When I had recall on my Commercial TA's I got them replaced with Michelin XPS. Thrilled as the TA's were around $700 and the XPS mounted and balanced $1335 even trade. Michelin owns BFG and I believe Bridgestone. Good Luck
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
alboy wrote:
X7 =2100.00

I paid $1000.00 for 4 on my 2500HD Duramax last fall. Don't seem right to me.

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
X7 =2100.00

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
YnotTurbo wrote:

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
I've run LT235/85R16E Michelin XPS Ribs (3042 lbs @ 80 PSIG) and 215/75R17.5J Michelin XTAs (4805 lbs @ 120 PSIG) under previous 5th wheels without any problems whatsoever. The current Mobile Suites came with 215/75R17.5H Goodyear G114s (4805 lbs @ 120 PSIG) - so far, so good.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600