cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tired of looking

idtrout1
Explorer
Explorer
we are looking at upgrading our 5th wheel next year, we are not full timers so we are looking at something price wise more the mid range. Anyway what we are looking for an have not been able to find is this
"we want a queen size bed with a night stand on each side of the bed" nightstands where we can put a clock or small reading light. we have looked at 5th wheels with and without slide outs and had no luck. Any suggetions on models you have seen that meet this criteria.
26 REPLIES 26

SandSOrrell
Explorer
Explorer
For a new one take a look at the Cedar Creek 34RL. This is the new model (2015) of the 34RLSA which we have (2013). The bedroom picture is in the brochure but only shows one side of the bed. If you get the queen bed version, there is a shelf on each side of the bed. It could easily be used as a small nightstand. The shelf is about 5-6 inches wide and about 12 inches long. Here is a link to the online brochure.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/FifthWheels/CedarCreek/default.aspx?model=cedar&page=floorplandetails&floorplanid=5674&RVType=fifthwheels
Skip and Susan
2013 Cedar Creek 34 RLSA
2013 Chevy Crew Cab 3500 D/A DRW 4X4

USAF, Ret (63-83)
Vietnam (off and on 65-75)

InTheMitten
Explorer
Explorer
Our Crusader 260RLD has a full queen bed with a nightstand on each side.
Scott & Loni
2015 Crusader 260RLD
2008 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L
Taka & Rosie (Shiba Inu)
Kodiak (Elkhound)1996-2011 RIP Happy Guy

AUWing
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
AUWing wrote:
Here's an option that we like

Link is no good..:(

~

Try this again. Jayco Eagle 331RETSJayco Eagle 331RETS
2014 Jayco 331RETS
Thermal Pane, Auto Level, Fireplace
2011 Silverado 2500HD EC Regular Box D'Max / Allison
Great wife and a good dog

WoodedOne
Explorer
Explorer
The Advanced Profile line of Gulfstream Yellowstone 5ers have shelves which serve us as night stands with power on one side -- http://gulfstreamrvtrailers.com/canyon-trail/overview.php -- we have the 33FRLQ and love it.

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
I hear what you are saying but it seems that if they can do it when the bed is oriented front to back they should be able to do it when the bed is sideways ie in a slide. A Queen bed is 60x80" so if you turn it sideways I should have 20" for my night stand. Just saying. As a person of larger statue a wider path around the bed is not undesirable. 🙂

It is pretty amazing how much stuff they do fit in a trailer.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Adding 2-3' to the width of the bed slide will increase the OAL of the whole trailer. That's 2-3' more wall framing, frame and roof. That could add substantially to the price. It will also add weight which if the trailer is marginal to begin with then upgrading axles and tires would also increase the price. Only option is to find a bed slide that's designed for a King/Queen option. Take the queen and you'll have more room for night stands.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
mdamerell wrote:
I want two actual night stands, not a shelf. Don't care if they both have draws but at least a shelf or two in the night stand and nothing that overhangs the edge of the bed. Seems it should be a fairly easy thing to make.

A good 10-12" wide and 18" or so in depth. I can find it in a non slide bed. Why does it disappear when you put the bed in a slide. The slide should allow you more room than being limited by the width of the trailer.

Sometimes I wonder if the folks designing RVs ever live in one.

No matter how you slice it those stands will add 2' at least to the overall length.Because the space is required additional to the slide.
I'm not saying night stands are not desirable, however it is all a compromise.
Many designer's believe the space can be put to better use and omit the night stands.
I do miss not having night stands, but in the end it is not a deal breaker for me. If I examine my floorplan I 'm not sure what I'm willing to give up to allow extra space for night stands. 2-3' of length is a lot of room in the grand scheme of an RV floorplan.
The reality is designers believe can do a lot more and get more bang for the buck and efficient use of the space with that 2-3' than just put in night stands.
Not only do you have to allow for the stands themselves but you need to create an aisle or walkway in front of the stands which equates to dead space. Designers despise dead space and strive to fill it with something.
In the end we end up with are lots of RV's with out night stands. Consider the space gained from the bedroom slide would be lost if night stands are added. Nevertheless night stands remain a desirable feature that many RV'er would like to have including me.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
I want two actual night stands, not a shelf. Don't care if they both have draws but at least a shelf or two in the night stand and nothing that overhangs the edge of the bed. Seems it should be a fairly easy thing to make.

A good 10-12" wide and 18" or so in depth. I can find it in a non slide bed. Why does it disappear when you put the bed in a slide. The slide should allow you more room than being limited by the width of the trailer.

Sometimes I wonder if the folks designing RVs ever live in one.
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
AUWing wrote:
Here's an option that we like

Link is no good..:(

~

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
Nightstands and a bed in a slideout were musts for us. We didn't want to sleep in a coffin. Look at our floor plan. Has a full size nightstand on one side and a shelf on the other. Also has a "nightstand" in the closet on the shelf side. There is an outlet in there and that is my hubby's charging station.
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Was going to start a new thread but I'll just continue this thought. Are night stands not a desired feature that manufactures skimp or remove them? With so many needing c-pap machines or even a box of tissues, where do they expect us to put them? One salesman said to put the machine on the floor. I like having room to place my clock, a box of tissues, my book and my glasses not to mention an outlet to charge my Kindle while I sleep. A little shelf is not adequate. Seems the minute they put the bed in the slide, the night stands are deleted or you only get one. You can't tell me that in a 35' plus 5er there's not enough room. A big selling feature for our unit was it had night stands on each side of the bed with outlets.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, there seems to be many with the side shelf/tables. Our 2007 Alpenlite 34RLR has a king bed with side shelves plus windows in the slide low enough to see outside without lifting your head off the pillow.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
The sabre and sabre silhouette by palomino rv. Have a little shelf on either side of the bed that might work for you. Like you we wanted something could at least put a drink on that you can easily reach from the bed. These have it and the queen bed is on the slide.
2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014

taybrynn
Explorer
Explorer
Our new wildcat 337fb has an excellent rear bedroom with tables on either side of the bed. The bed is walk around. Storage galore. The front bunk room is for tall people, bunk length 7' fits adults or kids ... I have tall volleyball girls. It's an amazing trailer for the money. Best layout I've seen and we looked for a year plus.