cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires

Rhmartinelli
Explorer
Explorer
I see so many comments on tire that leave me more confused. I have ST235/80r16 tires. I pull a 2010 Open Range 337 RLS. GVWR 12,500. Can I get a recommendation.

Marty
53 REPLIES 53

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
On our Minnie Winnie the wheels are sold by Lions Head. Of course they are Chinese made. I contacted Lions Head before buying the new tires to see if there was a problem with these wheels going from 50 psi to 65 psi. They said no problem, just have high pressure stems installed.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

Rhmartinelli
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Rhmartinelli wrote:
Can we not assume that our tire and rim are appropriately matched by the manufacturer? If you currently have ST235/80r16 wouldn't you stick with that?
Actually there are now some good ST tires available. A much different story than 5 or 6 years ago when the ST tires available were pretty pathetic.

Just remember that the builders want to get those trailers out the door with the maximum profit. Cheaper components, including tires, add to that profit margin.

I understand your point. My point is that the tire size is engineered for that particular coach. Changing the size may have a negative impact.

JeremiahBear
Explorer
Explorer
I checked my wheels this morning and they are stamped 110 psi. I am thinking the G rated tires also.

Rhmartinelli
Explorer
Explorer
Anymore feedback on the Goodyear Endurance ST tire

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
RinconVTR wrote:
Bigbird65 wrote:
Yesterday as I was getting ready to break camp in Suffolk VA and travel to Hatteras NC.
Belt separation on this tire made it ready to explode. .

That tire was absolute toast at least 3000 miles ago! And if it blew on the road, we'd hear another complaint about china bombs?

I have to agree with you. I carefully check my tires before leaving each camp site. This occurred since the last camp site about 300 miles back. Probably in the last 5 miles. Before this happened all 4 looked perfect.

So far I have about 600 miles on my new Goodyear Endurance tires. Some of the time running 70 mph. I have a lot of confidence in them.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Bigbird65 wrote:
Yesterday as I was getting ready to break camp in Suffolk VA and travel to Hatteras NC. I found this:

Belt separation on this tire made it ready to explode. .

That tire was absolute toast at least 3000 miles ago! And if it blew on the road, we'd hear another complaint about china bombs?

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rhmartinelli wrote:
Can we not assume that our tire and rim are appropriately matched by the manufacturer? If you currently have ST235/80r16 wouldn't you stick with that?
Actually there are now some good ST tires available. A much different story than 5 or 6 years ago when the ST tires available were pretty pathetic.

Just remember that the builders want to get those trailers out the door with the maximum profit. Cheaper components, including tires, add to that profit margin.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Rhmartinelli
Explorer
Explorer

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
With that GVWR you could possibly go with "E" rated LT tires, but that won't give you much wiggle room: 3045lbs.x4= 12180 lbs. Since weight isn't usually perfectly divided, you could be overweight by a bit on a tire or two.

Personally if it were my trailer, and the wheels are rated to 110 psi, I would go with "G" rated LT/ST tires. That give you a lot of carrying capacity, more than you really need, but better to have more than to need more.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JeremiahBear
Explorer
Explorer
I would also like to replace the ST235/80R16 tires that came on my Coachmen 371MBRB. I already realize that I don't know the axle or rim capacity and will have to check when I get home. Mine is heavier than what has been discussed. I want to get a tire that will handle the load and I can travel with my family safely.

Hitch Weight 2113 lbs.

GVWR 15000 lbs.

GACamper
Explorer
Explorer
We went with the Goodyear G614 and have been very pleased with them.[emoticon] The Goodyear G614 are made in the USA.
http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf

You need to make sure your rims will handle 110 psi. It will be stamped on the back side of the rim.
We should have done this before the Marathon blow out happen [emoticon]
It was more like an explosion. It blew parts across 3 lanes of traffic on the interstate.
Goodyear did pay for the damage and gave use credit for all 5 Marathon tires toward the new G614 tires.

Goggle search: "China bomb marathon tires"
2013 Montana 3800RE
RV FlexArmor sprayed RV roof..Big Improvement!
A/C, Color TV and a Microwave...Isn't Nature Great?
04.5 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 5.9L

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Campinfan wrote:
Question: If I switch to an LT tire, is the load range the same. My E rated tires are about 3402lbs ( I believe). If I have to jump up to a G rated tire, won't I need new rims because I thought I have seen that the G rated tires take more pressure. Maybe I am wrong, that is why I am asking.

330RBK
Shipping weight 10,065#
Payload 2,380#
Hitch Dry 2,045#
GVWR 12,445#

You will have about 10,000# total on the axles, or 2,500# per tire +/- so a 235/85-16E will have a 3,042# rating.
I just took off a 12 year old set of LT tires on our 12,360# GVWR 5er, and replaced with the same size and rating LT's.

Thank you for the info and the education. I will keep this post and also try to see where the rating level is for my rims, just in case.

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Man, that is a funky looking wear pattern.

3/4 of the tire had a very even wear pattern as did the other 3 tires.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Man, that is a funky looking wear pattern.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday as I was getting ready to break camp in Suffolk VA and travel to Hatteras NC. I found this:

Belt separation on this tire made it ready to explode. Long story short, my brother found a set of ST205/75R14 Goodyear Endurance (load range D (2040 lbs) and speed rating N (87 mph)) at Discount tire in Virginia Beach VA. I bought them and had high pressure stems installed. Also had them balanced. $532 out the door.
I can now run 70 mph all day without worry.