cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires

Rhmartinelli
Explorer
Explorer
I see so many comments on tire that leave me more confused. I have ST235/80r16 tires. I pull a 2010 Open Range 337 RLS. GVWR 12,500. Can I get a recommendation.

Marty
53 REPLIES 53

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Rhmartinelli wrote:
these tires were manufactured in Taipei, Taiwan, China. Junk tires.

Yup, low bidder won out with Winnebago. Sure glad to see that Jayco is exclusively using Goodyear Endurance tires on their trailers.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

Rhmartinelli
Explorer
Explorer
these tires were manufactured in Taipei, Taiwan, China. Junk tires.

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Rhmartinelli wrote:
Thanks for the info. Who manufactured the tires you replaced.

Looks like the company was Power Towing.

Rhmartinelli
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. Who manufactured the tires you replaced.

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Bigbird65 wrote:
Yesterday as I was getting ready to break camp in Suffolk VA and travel to Hatteras NC. I found this:

Belt separation on this tire made it ready to explode. Long story short, my brother found a set of ST205/75R14 Goodyear Endurance (load range D (2040 lbs) and speed rating N (87 mph)) at Discount tire in Virginia Beach VA. I bought them and had high pressure stems installed. Also had them balanced. $532 out the door.
I can now run 70 mph all day without worry.

We got back home today and now have 2292 miles on the new Endurance tires. They are great. About half of the time, when conditions permitted, I was running 70 mph. Sometimes up to 75 while passing. I highly recommend them.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rhmartinelli wrote:
I'm trying to understand why one would change rims or tires on a rig. Your owners manual should specify tire, rim size and. Pressure. My 5th wheel spec is ST235/80R16. Tire pressure 80psi and specifying say max psi. Why would one deviate?
The short answer is to get better tires than what was supplied by the builder.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think everyone should take a close look at the new Goodyear Endurance ST tires if they are going to stay with ST tires. YOU KNOW that Goodyear is going to stand behind these new tires 1000 percent. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Rhmartinelli wrote:
I'm trying to understand why one would change rims or tires on a rig. Your owners manual should specify tire, rim size and. Pressure. My 5th wheel spec is ST235/80R16. Tire pressure 80psi and specifying say max psi. Why would one deviate?

Experienced RV owners are a step up from OEM tire/wheel from the trailer manufacturers as evident from all the bad ST tire brands trailer owners have had to put up with. As has been mentioned many times before most trailer mfg will buy the cheapest tire/wheel to mount on their trailers
Lots of reasons we change tires and wheels from junk given us by a trailer mfg's.

My rv owners manual says nothing about tire/wheel sizes however even if it did its not anything binding for the owner.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JeremiahBear
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome. The great tire debate in every rv and trailer forum in the world has me constantly questioning myself and I haven't even made the purchase yet, LOL. So many options. I am not a speed demon and will be taking my time when traveling anywhere but I realize I have a heavier trailer and just want to have the load covered. Jerry, thank you for your insight.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
JeremiahBear wrote:
Has anyone purchased off of etrailer.com ? They have a decent choice of 12 and 14 ply tires rated for a higher load. I am not familiar with these brands though. Contender, Provider, Karrier, Westlake.

I've run the Provider tires since 2012. They are the new design, with extra nylon wrap, for cooler running, and higher speed rating 81 mph. IMO, they are first rate. I just ordered a pair of tires/on wheels from E-trailer, for my utility trailer, taskmaster brand, also rated 81 mph. They are same company as Provider. E-trailer has a good rep, as do the Taskmaster/Provider tires.

Jerry

JeremiahBear
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone purchased off of etrailer.com ? They have a decent choice of 12 and 14 ply tires rated for a higher load. I am not familiar with these brands though. TaskMaster (Contender, Provider), Kenda (Karrier), Westlake.

Jhurk
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased FWand had dealer replace original tires as 8 years old. Dealer put on upsize tires 235-85-16F rated at 95psi. They will work at 80 psi however it would be better for the tire (run cooler) if I go higher psi so just wandering is the rims could handle it that's all?
Jim Hurkett Chilliwack BC
2014 Dodge Ram 3500 Limited SWA
2009 Cardinal 30 TS

Rhmartinelli
Explorer
Explorer

Jhurk
Explorer
Explorer
My rims are stamped 3450 lbs no psi rating. So I would guess it would be 80psi but at 3450lbs actually could handle more. I have tires with 95 psi on sidewall. I would like to run 90 psi I believe the rim could handle it. I have the steal valve stems. What happens to a rim that is overinflated tire to the rim specs?
Jim Hurkett Chilliwack BC
2014 Dodge Ram 3500 Limited SWA
2009 Cardinal 30 TS