cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
After searching and reading tire posts, my head is ready to have a blowout!!!

We are shopping for a new fifth wheel. Do we need to worry about the axles or rims (e.g., pressure rating) to plan to replace the tires? Should I look at the "delivery tires" on the units to get some idea of the specs? Most models that are candidates are equipped with ST235/80R16E either standard or as an option. Some mfg websites specify 6000 lb axles, others do not specify so assume they are 5200 lb axles. Rigs we are looking at are typically about 10K listed dry weight and either 12K or slightly under 14K GVWR.

We will most likely get an LT235/85R16E - Michelin XPS Ribs ($1400 for 5 at the tire rack), Bridgestone Duravis R250, Firestone Transforse HT, or BF Goodrich Commercial T/A ($730 for 5). Possibly Goodyear G614.

Has anyone had luck getting the dealer to replace tires as part of the deal?

We were fortunate to get about 10K miles from the Mission bombs on our current trailer with no problems. We upgraded the rims and have had no problems with our Commercial T/As in about 30K miles -- other than picking up a screw in one tire, and saw that on a pre-trip check.

Thanks for the advice.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW
9 REPLIES 9

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
2hams wrote:
Thanks everyone! DH may want to replace the spare too, we'll see. He put the new rims and tires on our current trailer, but it would be nice if we could have a dealer do it to save the hassle factor.

On my next FW purchase, upgraded tires/rims will be part of the deal, or no deal. Frankly, I don't anticipate needing anything with more than an E rating as I simply don't want anything that big, but 16" rims and LTs installed will be a deal-maker/breaker. Same with age; nothing > 6 months old.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! DH may want to replace the spare too, we'll see. He put the new rims and tires on our current trailer, but it would be nice if we could have a dealer do it to save the hassle factor.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
LOOK AT THE DATE OF MANUFACTURE!!!! This is just as important as brand or rating. At least two manufacturers say that a tire will loose 10 to 15% of load bearing capacity per year. If you want new ones, make sure what you're buying is 6 months old or less. I've never heard of anyone wearing trailer tires out through tread wear, but they will fail from age.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

davent1946
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide on the 245/75/16 rib, it will be almost exactly the same size as tour china bomb spare, so you don't need to pay for a rib spare that you will never use/need. My bomb has been hanging around under my rig for 4 years now while the ribs will be replaced because of age next year.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
If the trailer comes with 6k axles and smaller then go with the LT E at 3042 lbs capacity.

If the trailer comes with 7k axle I would go with the G614 or the Sailun S637 commercial grade all position tire. Both are a load range G at 110 psi.

The tire you have listed make excellent tires for a trailer.
RV dealers may or may not deal with their customers on upgrading tires/wheels unless its a factory option. Simply depends on the dealer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
When the deal is all but done tell them you want them to replace the tires with GY G rated tires. I know several people that did this and the deal went thru.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
According to two RV surplus shops the only difference between 5200 and 6000 lb "axles" are the bearings. Now the spring packs may differ.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
2hams wrote:
After searching and reading tire posts, my head is ready to have a blowout!!!

We are shopping for a new fifth wheel. Do we need to worry about the axles or rims (e.g., pressure rating) to plan to replace the tires? Should I look at the "delivery tires" on the units to get some idea of the specs? Most models that are candidates are equipped with ST235/80R16E either standard or as an option. Some mfg websites specify 6000 lb axles, others do not specify so assume they are 5200 lb axles. Rigs we are looking at are typically about 10K listed dry weight and either 12K or slightly under 14K GVWR.

We will most likely get an LT235/85R16E - Michelin XPS Ribs ($1400 for 5 at the tire rack), Bridgestone Duravis R250, Firestone Transforse HT, or BF Goodrich Commercial T/A ($730 for 5). Possibly Goodyear G614.

Has anyone had luck getting the dealer to replace tires as part of the deal?

We were fortunate to get about 10K miles from the Mission bombs on our current trailer with no problems. We upgraded the rims and have had no problems with our Commercial T/As in about 30K miles -- other than picking up a screw in one tire, and saw that on a pre-trip check.

Thanks for the advice.

we are picking up an Alpine 3720 trailer in 2 weeks, we had the dealer change the tires to G614's. $1000. (not the spare). the Trailer's GWVR is 15,500, 12,400 dry with 2-7,000lb axles.
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
So stick with the Commercial T/As that you have had good luck with. Don't worry about the axles, they are installed by the manufacturer and meet the trailer specs. Axle capacity has nothing to do with tire capacity.
HR