cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Titan disc brakes / 2017 GM duramax

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
Does anybody have real life knowledge if the integrated brake controller in a 2017 GM is compatible with Titan brakes electric over hydraulic setup? I have read that im good to go but did see a youtube video of 2016 needing the added module to communicate with the OEM integrated brake controller. Hopefully somebody here has a 2017 GM and has electric over hydraulic disc brakes on their rv.
2017 Chevy HD 3500 Dually LTZ D/A combo crew cab / Bilstein 4600's / Ride Rite air bags w remote / 50 gal transfer flow Aux tank / Trailersaver BD5
2020 Arctic Fox 32-5m with most options + 17.5 wheel & tire combo
13 REPLIES 13

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
Wood chip wrote:
Wood chip wrote:
Does anybody have real life knowledge if the integrated brake controller in a 2017 GM is compatible with Titan brakes electric over hydraulic setup? I have read that im good to go but did see a youtube video of 2016 needing the added module to communicate with the OEM integrated brake controller. Hopefully somebody here has a 2017 GM and has electric over hydraulic disc brakes on their rv.

My Titan Disc brake installation is complete and I can report as others have reported that the EOH adapter is not needed for the 2017. All seems to work fine.

Thought I would share a photo. There were many installations on Youtube showing to install all the calipers the same orientation but later learned they only need to be the same orientation on the same axel. This orientation allows the caliper bolts to be easily accessed and away from the shock mount while doing future brake jobs
2017 Chevy HD 3500 Dually LTZ D/A combo crew cab / Bilstein 4600's / Ride Rite air bags w remote / 50 gal transfer flow Aux tank / Trailersaver BD5

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
Wood chip wrote:

My Titan Disc brake installation is complete and I can report as others have reported that the EOH adapter is not needed for the 2017. All seems to work fine.

joe_puma
Explorer
Explorer
my 2011 needed a module.

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
racer4 wrote:
djousma wrote:
snip ... My brake installer told me that you can even reuse one of the old brake magnets wired inline, and that would also resolve the problem. For Fords, it sounds like the 2017's and up are good.

X2
That is what performancetrailerbraking.com did when he installed mine. The magnet is strapped to the top front of the front storage compartment, near the pin box and hydraulic actuator.

They are the ones that did my upgrade too.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
Nothing required on a 2017/18 GM. I just removed my CAM Module (interface module) on my '18.

Thanks for the definitive answer. I just took delivery of a 2018 GMC Duramax last week so I was wondering the same thing.
Funny thing is, I just had that " 2 wire fooler module" go bad a few months ago and had to replace it. I had to have it on my 2013 Duramax with factory ITBC.
So now I guess I can remove it from the RV before connecting the new truck.
Thanks.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
Nothing required on a 2017/18 GM. I just removed my CAM Module (interface module) on my '18.

Thank you

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
My brake installer told me that you can even reuse one of the old brake magnets wired inline, and that would also resolve the problem.

I had to do this on my 2002 Duramax. Since I had the magnets already installed (DIY cost me $5) I just left them in place with my 2017 Duramax. I don't think they would be needed, but I can say that everything is working.

Without the magnets the integrated controller on my 2002 would not work at all. The magnets "fool" the controller into thinking that the electrical signal is going to the brakes. To test you have to have a tester based on a automobile headlamp. Without it a multimeter will no more receive a signal from the integrated controller than the hydraulic actuator will. I spent hours with a professional disc brake installer who did not know this--and in fact would not believe it.

This relates to the older Duramax not the 2017. I built a tester with a headlamp from a junkyard. When I went to a Chevrolet dealer, he had a very similar tester.

racer4
Explorer
Explorer
djousma wrote:
snip ... My brake installer told me that you can even reuse one of the old brake magnets wired inline, and that would also resolve the problem. For Fords, it sounds like the 2017's and up are good.

X2
That is what performancetrailerbraking.com did when he installed mine. The magnet is strapped to the top front of the front storage compartment, near the pin box and hydraulic actuator.
Chris and Pat
2023 Ram 3500 Limited, Cummins, Aisin, dually, Auto Flex Rear Air Ride Suspension
2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
I had to add the module to my 2016. Without it, it didn't set a light or fault, but the truck would pulse the hydraulic pump every 5 seconds. As mentioned, adding the module does nothing except add a resistance load to the circuit to "fool" the controller. My brake installer told me that you can even reuse one of the old brake magnets wired inline, and that would also resolve the problem. For Fords, it sounds like the 2017's and up are good.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Module is just to simulate some actual current draw to prevent an error message. Worst case you add the 2 wire module. Good to go.

https://www.hydrastarusa.com/products/accessories/controller-adapter-module/

2017 model is probably fine.

X2
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Module is just to simulate some actual current draw to prevent an error message. Worst case you add the 2 wire module. Good to go.

https://www.hydrastarusa.com/products/accessories/controller-adapter-module/

2017 model is probably fine.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you replace any factory braking equipment with aftermarket wonโ€™t that void any...any GM warranty? What is deficient about GMโ€™s braking?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad