cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Too much voltage from bedroom 12v cigarette lighter port??

versicom
Explorer
Explorer
My multimeter is telling me that the 12v outlet in my 5th wheel bedroom putting out way too much voltage for about 2 seconds and them drops to the normal 12v. It's cooking any 12v device I plug into it. I have checked the socket and tried a new one so it's not the socket. The other 12v outlets in the trailer are all normal constant 12v. Anyone have any ideas? Do they make a 12v middle man conditioner that keeps voltage at 12v?

Weekend Warrior SLC 3705 (38' fifth wheel triple axel)
17 REPLIES 17

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
What model converter? What is the actual voltage?
Up to 14.8 is probably normal.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Depending on your converter, it may have been in a desulfate mode for the batteries. I would go back and check it again.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Aren't all the 12v outlets connected to the same bank of batteries? Of coarse voltage is higher when charging but When you say higher for a few seconds, how much higher? Could you be getting a static charge for some reason when you plug something into that outlet?

Thought about this. Maybe a static charge could be building on the run to the bedroom area. In the past I have taken 2 wires, hot and ground, put them in an electric drill and twist them up so you have a twisted pair. Sometimes that will prevent things from being picked up on the line. Just a thought. Don't know if that is your problem or not.