cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Too much wiggle

Gviertell
Explorer
Explorer
There seems to be too much wiggle when walking around in the front of fifth wheel when parked. I use stabilizing jacks in rear and hav x-jacks between tires. That makes the center and rear very solid but the front seems too wiggly just sitting on the landing gear.
21 REPLIES 21

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta wrote:
I full time and I think movement while walking around is something you just get used to. I don't even notice it anymore. Not something I worry about and definitely don't want more stuff to haul around that might do nothing more than lighten my wallet.

Ugh... JTs or Steadyfast are not a gimmick and worth every penny IMO. Step into a trailer that has one before commenting. Nothing to lug around as it permanently attaches to the trailer frame.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Supereri73
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
edatlanta wrote:
I full time and I think movement while walking around is something you just get used to. I don't even notice it anymore. Not something I worry about and definitely don't want more stuff to haul around that might do nothing more than lighten my wallet.

+1 on that. I'm amazed that people spend a lot of money on a rig so that they can be mobile and travel, and then complain that their rig doesn't feel like their house. You bought a trailer - get used to it.

I just don't need another doohickey to fool with, or something else to spend money on.

When every time your 16 year old moves in his sleep it wakes your VERY light sleeping wife it's money well spent.

I'm looking at the Strongarms now.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew Cab, Dually, Long bed, 4x4, Cummins 6.7 370hp/800 lbs.-ft, 4.10
B&W RVK3600 fifth wheel hitch
2016 Genesis Supreme 36-CK toyhauler

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
Put a SteadyFast system on our previous TT and it worked very well. Wasn't that hard to install either. Got a good price on a Strongarm system for our Montana a couple of years back, and while it does work about as well as the SteadyFast, it was a bear to install! It also is MUCH heavier duty than the SteadyFast and weighs a heck of a lot more.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had a 35' Big Sky before this toyhauler and it was fine without anything other than landing gear in front and rear stabilizers. But this Fuzion is like being on a ship at sea without the JT Strongarms bolted down. And there's still movement, but just enough to cause ripples in my coffee cup, not spill the darn thing. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
Big difference between feeling like your house, and having your coffee slosh out of your cup when someone walks across the floor. Some of those big heavy toyhaulers are really wobbly. JT Strongarms means I no longer have to constantly clean up my coffee spills. ๐Ÿ™‚

LOL, I agree, spilling drinks is pretty darned wiggly. Mine have never been anything close to that bad. The DW can tell if I haven't put the rear stabilizer jacks down, but only barely.

Seems odd to me that a heavy trailer, like a TH you mentioned, would wiggle more than my small trailer. The mass moving around (people/pets) versus the much greater mass of a trailer weighing twice what mine does.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Big difference between feeling like your house, and having your coffee slosh out of your cup when someone walks across the floor. Some of those big heavy toyhaulers are really wobbly. JT Strongarms means I no longer have to constantly clean up my coffee spills. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
edatlanta wrote:

+1 on that. I'm amazed that people spend a lot of money on a rig so that they can be mobile and travel, and then complain that their rig doesn't feel like their house. You bought a trailer - get used to it.

I just don't need another doohickey to fool with, or something else to spend money on.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

lpxguy
Explorer
Explorer
put your landing gear on blocks...large as poss. The more of the gear that is retracted the less wiggle you will have!
2005 GMC Sierra 3500 CC DRW D/A(FOR SALE)
2013 Crusader 335BHS TE(FOR SALE)

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
JTs. got mine for 205.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^^^^That's pretty much your decision.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

belairbrian
Explorer
Explorer
You mean i need to upgrade from my Wayne's stabilizers?
TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison or 2016 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L 4x4
2022 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer 4 way WDH, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

Gviertell
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody I will look into both types.

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
We use the Steadyfast system, similar to JT Strongarms but only has three large knobs to tighten. Install took around two hours and the owner is awesome to deal with if you have questions or concerns. The only wiggle we feel now is when the washing machine goes into its final spin.

x2. Three quick turns at set up and break down. Love em.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL