Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Vehicle for Montana 3810MS

Bob_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

We just purchased a Montana 3810MS and I'm trying to make sure I've got enough truck to pull this thing. Anyone that can give me some advice, I appreciate it.

Tow Vehicle:
2018 Ram 2500
6.7L Diesel
Automatic
4x4
Long Bed
Crew Cab

Montana 3810MS
Dry Weight: 13385lbs
Carry Cap: 3365
Hitch Weight: 2745lbs

Dealership seems to think I'll be absolutely fine, but I'd like to get the thoughts from experienced folks. Again, any help is appreciated. Hopefully we haven't gotten ahead of ourselves.
Thanks,
Bob
48 REPLIES 48

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Usually there is a cooling off period, normaly 3 days, to rescind the contract. If they don't have any money from you, no court will force you to purchase. Believe it or not, you are in charge at this point.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
Most sales people will say it would be on to tow it with a Volkswagon to make the sale. Our trailer is close to yours in size and weight. We tow ours with an F-350. Good Luck and Happy Camping !
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bob Bo wrote:
I'm hoping at this point I can work out a back out deal. I'll hopefully be shopping for a smaller RV soon.

Thanks for the help,
Bob

Good luck Bob, typically when you sign on that line.....but its different everywhere. You may have to escalate it up the food chain and play the salesman fed me a line of BS card. Maybe put your poker face on and start mentioning state attorney generals, consumer groups, and social media, and also you know who......who if I mention specifically will result in post editing or closing.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Bob_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm hoping at this point I can work out a back out deal. I'll hopefully be shopping for a smaller RV soon.

Thanks for the help,
Bob

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bob Bo wrote:
The truck is already purchased. Its the RV that we're "in the process" of buying. Technically, the financing has gone through. We've signed the purchase agreement. We haven't paid the down payment (day of delivery) and we havent taken delivery (few weeks from now).

If youve signed the purchase agreement, you very well could of bought it already unless there is language in it with an out (good luck) or the state of purchase has some sort of regulation that lets you back out within a specified amount of time.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Bob_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
@Old_Buscuit

"3500SRW with that 7000# RAWR will be a match for that 16,750# GVWR 5th wheel"

"Match" as in it will work, or it will be tough?

Thanks for the help

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bob Bo wrote:
I've got the potential to jump up to a 3500 SRW.

2018 Ram 3500
6.7L Diesel
Automatic
4x4
Short Bed
Crew Cab

GVRW: 11,700
Payload: 3,930
GCRW: 25,300
Max TWR: 17,060
GAWR Front: 6,000
GAWR Rear: 7,000

Thoughts?

Just like I pointed out in my other post
3500SRW with that 7000# RAWR will be a match for that 16,750# GVWR 5th wheel
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Bob_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
I've got the potential to jump up to a 3500 SRW.

2018 Ram 3500
6.7L Diesel
Automatic
4x4
Short Bed
Crew Cab

GVRW: 11,700
Payload: 3,930
GCRW: 25,300
Max TWR: 17,060
GAWR Front: 6,000
GAWR Rear: 7,000

Thoughts?

Bob_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
The truck is already purchased. Its the RV that we're "in the process" of buying. Technically, the financing has gone through. We've signed the purchase agreement. We haven't paid the down payment (day of delivery) and we havent taken delivery (few weeks from now).

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Bo wrote:
Ok, good info. Anyone have any experience with the point of no return on a RV purchase. ie. financing has been approved and the bank is sending a check to the dealership, but we don't take delivery for 2 weeks.

I've asked the dealership multiple times about payload, and every time they tell me my truck will be fine. I'm not arguing against your point, I'm annoyed by salesmen.

Stop! Tell the salesmen that you will only buy a 1 ton, 3500 truck or cancel the original deal. There is a reason the salesmen is avoiding answering your payload question! "your truck will be fine" is a big B.S. answer. I would also ask for a different salesmen:)

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Bo wrote:
Hey all,

We just purchased a Montana 3810MS and I'm trying to make sure I've got enough truck to pull this thing. Anyone that can give me some advice, I appreciate it.

Tow Vehicle:
2018 Ram 2500
6.7L Diesel
Automatic
4x4
Long Bed
Crew Cab

Montana 3810MS
Dry Weight: 13385lbs
Carry Cap: 3365
Hitch Weight: 2745lbs

Dealership seems to think I'll be absolutely fine, but I'd like to get the thoughts from experienced folks. Again, any help is appreciated. Hopefully we haven't gotten ahead of ourselves
Thanks,
Bob

In 40 years of trucking and towing, I have never met a RV salesman who has ever towed a 5th. wheel trailer! The RV salesman goal is to sell you a new truck. His concern or awareness of your safety is way down of on his list of priorities :(:(:(

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bob Bo wrote:
Ok, good info. Anyone have any experience with the point of no return on a RV purchase. ie. financing has been approved and the bank is sending a check to the dealership, but we don't take delivery for 2 weeks.

I've asked the dealership multiple times about payload, and every time they tell me my truck will be fine. I'm not arguing against your point, I'm annoyed by salesmen.

Point out to salesmen that truck payload is 2200# MAX (see yellow sticker on door jamb for YOUR trucks actual CCC)
and that the DRY Hitch weight is 2745#.....more then your actual payload.

(Not that I think payload actually matters BUT it is numbers right there on Data Sticker)

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
I canโ€™t remember buying a trailer or truck when I didnโ€™t know more than the salesman.

Bob_Bo
Explorer
Explorer

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dry weight 13385 with a dry pin of 2745#=====20.5% pin weight

Trailer GVWR 16,750#....20.5%=====3434# wet pin

Normally I would say YES.......BUT
Your RAWR of 6000# is going to be overloaded

You need a 3500SRW at minimum or a 14K GVWR trailer

Not really 'weight police' per se
See I am of the opinion that GVWR and payloads (which are based on GVWR) really are not limiting factors.
They are MFG 'Class' distinctions & warranty issues and a Registration Tool

Axle ratings......whole different ball game
They are limiting factors.
Stay at or under axle ratings and good to go.