Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Vehicle for Montana 3810MS

Bob_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

We just purchased a Montana 3810MS and I'm trying to make sure I've got enough truck to pull this thing. Anyone that can give me some advice, I appreciate it.

Tow Vehicle:
2018 Ram 2500
6.7L Diesel
Automatic
4x4
Long Bed
Crew Cab

Montana 3810MS
Dry Weight: 13385lbs
Carry Cap: 3365
Hitch Weight: 2745lbs

Dealership seems to think I'll be absolutely fine, but I'd like to get the thoughts from experienced folks. Again, any help is appreciated. Hopefully we haven't gotten ahead of ourselves.
Thanks,
Bob
48 REPLIES 48

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Butch50 wrote:

I don't believe that you can just throw 3500 springs on it as the 2500 has rear coils not leaf springs

Yeah..thats what I discribed...not all 2500s till late had coils and I put that in my suggestion that you didnt read.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
if you do get stuck with it throw some airbags on the 2500. If its leaf sprung swap them for 3500 springs. Given that it has the same rear end as a 1ton SRW truck, if it has the smaller varient rear no go as that axel is your limiting factor. If its a coil sprung rear forget about the above. $1000k fix vs $60,000 fix...the choice is yours

Given rear leafs and same rear as a 1ton the only difference between 2500 and 3500 is rear leafs, a badge that says 3500 and a stupid sticker on the door mandated by the Guberment.

Prove me wrong...

Weight Police remember real trucks are built not bought every day by builders and fabricators, air ride suspension, stretched frames you name it...everyday.

I don't believe that you can just throw 3500 springs on it as the 2500 has rear coils not leaf springs
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

Bob_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Alright guys, thanks for all the advice. I'm headed back to the truck dealership in the morning to see how much it will hurt to jump to the 3500 SRW. Depending on the outcome, I'll post something here.
Thanks again

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bob Bo wrote:
@Old_Buscuit

"3500SRW with that 7000# RAWR will be a match for that 16,750# GVWR 5th wheel"

"Match" as in it will work, or it will be tough?

Thanks for the help

MATCH......good (3500 with that 7000 RAWR

MIS-MATCH....not good (2500 with that 6000 RAWR)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
if you do get stuck with it throw some airbags on the 2500. If its leaf sprung swap them for 3500 springs. Given that it has the same rear end as a 1ton SRW truck, if it has the smaller varient rear no go as that axel is your limiting factor. If its a coil sprung rear forget about the above. $1000k fix vs $60,000 fix...the choice is yours

Given rear leafs and same rear as a 1ton the only difference between 2500 and 3500 is rear leafs, a badge that says 3500 and a stupid sticker on the door mandated by the Guberment.

Prove me wrong...

Weight Police remember real trucks are built not bought every day by builders and fabricators, air ride suspension, stretched frames you name it...everyday.

But the silly little yellow sticker says.... ?? ?? ??

Exactly..what good is it if I put 1 ton springs. That sticker means absolutely nothing.

They also put reccomended tire pressure...which is useless as tire mfg have specific load/inflation tables.

Useless iformation for the ill informed.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wild Card wrote:

Prove me wrong...

But the silly little yellow sticker says.... ?? ?? ??
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer

Prove me wrong...

2015 Ram 3500 Dually

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I doubt if that is the only trailer this dealer has to offer. If you actually want a fifth wheel, and you don't want to buy a new truck, consider another model from their lot. They will be happy to work with you if it will keep a sale on their books.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
eHoefler wrote:
Usually there is a cooling off period, normaly 3 days, to rescind the contract. If they don't have any money from you, no court will force you to purchase. Believe it or not, you are in charge at this point.

NOT in AZ, which was made =very= clear to us, multiple times and including signing a document stating so. You sign, you own...at least for an RV.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Bob Bo wrote:
I'm hoping at this point I can work out a back out deal. I'll hopefully be shopping for a smaller RV soon.

Thanks for the help,
Bob

I think you've got an excellent out, in that the salesman told you "no problem" many times, and refused to answer the payload question when asked point blank. It's called "full disclosure", which he's not giving you. Hell, go to the sales manager and ask for the payload info IN WRITING AND SIGNED, and see what they do. :B Probably run for cover like rats when you turn the lights on.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Bob Bo wrote:
I've got the potential to jump up to a 3500 SRW.

2018 Ram 3500
6.7L Diesel
Automatic
4x4
Short Bed
Crew Cab

GVRW: 11,700
Payload: 3,930
GCRW: 25,300
Max TWR: 17,060
GAWR Front: 6,000
GAWR Rear: 7,000

Thoughts?

Personally, if it didn't cost too much to do so, I'd do it in a heartbeat, especially if you're locked into that FW. MUCH better match.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Bob Bo wrote:
Hey all,

We just purchased a Montana 3810MS and I'm trying to make sure I've got enough truck to pull this thing. Anyone that can give me some advice, I appreciate it.

Tow Vehicle:
2018 Ram 2500
6.7L Diesel
Automatic
4x4
Long Bed
Crew Cab

Montana 3810MS
Dry Weight: 13385lbs
Carry Cap: 3365
Hitch Weight: 2745lbs

Dealership seems to think I'll be absolutely fine, but I'd like to get the thoughts from experienced folks. Again, any help is appreciated. Hopefully we haven't gotten ahead of ourselves.
Thanks,
Bob

No way you've got enough truck. First, all salesmen lie. Remember, a Tundra can tow a space shuttle, but it's not about towing when talking FWs; it's about PAYLOAD! You're nearly 17k at GVW, so take 20%, at best, of 17k and that's 3,400 lbs on the pin. Add you, spouse, kids, dogs, fuel, hitch and "stuff" and you're talking 4,000 lbs of payload the truck has to carry. This is a =very= conservative estimate, as your pin ratio could be more like 23-25%. That puts you =firmly= in 1t dually territory, IMO. If you have the truck, but haven't signed for the FW, then you need to find another FW. Pretty much everything people will suggest to give the truck more "ability" will be nothing but a bandaid.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Good advice above. Now that you are going to be the owner of a Montana, join the Montana Owners Club Forum. Lots of great people with lots of Montana experience there. I know there are many who do tow their Montanas with 2500/250 trucks. Doesn't necessarily make it right. But payload capacity for the newer trucks has increased a lot over the last few years.

Kahuna2
Explorer
Explorer
Good post. It goes to show the level of ignorance the salesman and the dealer have, when it comes to understanding one's tow vehicle and overall weight calculation. Just because a truck is a dually and diesel, doesn't always mean it can tow anything! The towing capacity is based on the configuration of each truck. Also, towing capacity and payload are two 'different' numbers! For example: a Ram 3500 DRW Diesel (Cummings) with a 3.73 gear ratio and 8-foot bed has a max tow capacity of around 24,000 lbs. While, the same truck with a 4.10 gear ratio can tow about 30,000 lbs! The payload for this DRW truck is about 5,600 lbs, compared to the SRW model the payload is reduced to about 4,000 lbs. So, each potential owner needs to do his/her own weight calculation to determine the final configuration numbers.

Halmfamily wrote:
We looked at Grand Design toyhauler last weekend, pulled in with our 08 Dually. First thing out of the salesman mouth is we can pull anything on his lot. How so, I ask. Your truck is a dually with a diesel he said more than capable. I pointed out the pin weight of the GD as well as my aux fuel tank and the fact my towing rating is 15500lbs, no way. Maybe a newer dually. Know what you truck is capable of, the dealer doesn't care.
Keith & Victoria T.
East Valley, Arizona
2019 Grand Design 375RES
2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at Grand Design toyhauler last weekend, pulled in with our 08 Dually. First thing out of the salesman mouth is we can pull anything on his lot. How so, I ask. Your truck is a dually with a diesel he said more than capable. I pointed out the pin weight of the GD as well as my aux fuel tank and the fact my towing rating is 15500lbs, no way. Maybe a newer dually. Know what you truck is capable of, the dealer doesn't care.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian