Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing with lifted truck; need assistance

emilyjane918
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone!
I’m super new to gvwr, pin weight, axles, etc. and have no clue how to calculate a safe towing weight that I can haul. I have a 2015 4x4 6.7l turbo diesel ram 2500 truck that’s lifted (I think 6 inches) and not sure how big the tires are. Attached the side door jam stickers info below. I’m okay with doing a travel trailer (preferably a toy hauler style) using a drop hitch to balance out the lift, would also like a fifth wheel toy hauler if possible (I doubt though due to the lift). All this math is difficult for me to do and I just want to make sure my truck won’t get damaged or my family is at risk by being overloaded or towing improperly. Could I get a gvwr rv range (not dry weight) that would be best for my truck? Looking to live out of it and not financially able to purchase a dually unfortunately. The weight of my family & belongings (car seats, bags, etc) is around 600 on the high side

Combined weight of cargo and occupants never exceed 2155 lbs. Front & Rear tires 295. GAWR front 6000, GAWR rear 6500. GVWR 10,000.
49 REPLIES 49

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
you wanna tow? put the truck back on the ground. your headed for trouble jacked up.

I absolutely agree. A lifted truck is enough trouble on its own -- add trailering to that and I see it as pretty much a recipe for disaster.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
you wanna tow? put the truck back on the ground. your headed for trouble jacked up.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
You'd need a weight distributing hitch NOT a simple drop receiver. I'd pick a brand of wdh and call their tech dept. I would not be optimistic they are designed for a standard geometry truck.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
That is a very capable truck. Stock it can handle most all but the biggest travel trailers.

I am interested to see more replies. I don't know much about modifying trucks like that.

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
🙂 Hi, this may not be what you want to hear, but it's the truth. A co-worker of mine had a lift kit installed on his truck and on his trailer. Shortly after, he rolled them both. Scared the 7734 out of him and he never towed again. Fortuneatly, no-one was badly hurt, just some briuses.
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400