cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TPMS

prowlerregal
Explorer
Explorer
I need some info about TPMS.What is better the flow thru sensors or the sensors you have to remove to add air to your tires?What brand is better than others?Thanks!
2014 3500 SRW 4X4 Ram
2006 King of the Road Royal Villa F33TS
65 REPLIES 65

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've a better idea: show me side-by-side comparisons by an uninterested third party.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

justme
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Hmm, a company that doesn't make the stem sensors claims the stem sensors are unreliable. Who'd a thunk.

Show me any statement by any stem monitor manufacturer that makes any claim like Valor. Also, misleading advertising is against the law.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hmm, a company that doesn't make the stem sensors claims the stem sensors are unreliable. Who'd a thunk.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like we are beating a dead horse with this discussion. However, this is what I and many trucking companies select as a reliable method to monitor the trailer tires..

http://www.valortpms.com/whyinternalsensor.php

They claim that temperature monitoring of stem sensors are unreliable and the I previously shown the mathematics that supports their claim. I guess many do not trust the physics over their own opinions.

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
What, electronics are never wrong? ๐Ÿ™‚ I double check every once in a while, just to reassure myself.
Does that logic apply to temperature as well ?

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
What, electronics are never wrong? ๐Ÿ™‚ I double check every once in a while, just to reassure myself.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Do we know that the stem mounted TPMS doesn't track in a timely fashion, or are we just going by speculation? It would be interesting to see the difference between the two types on the same tire. I would be willing to bet the difference would be much less than one would think.

Truckers are not going to use valve stem TPMS probably because the adding/checking air takes more hassle with a stem mounted TPMS. A stem mounted TPMS adds extra steps. A wheel mounted TPMS is pretty much set it and forget it.

If you have a TPMS why are you checking the air in a tire??? Trucker or not.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Do we know that the stem mounted TPMS doesn't track in a timely fashion, or are we just going by speculation? It would be interesting to see the difference between the two types on the same tire. I would be willing to bet the difference would be much less than one would think.

Truckers are not going to use valve stem TPMS probably because the adding/checking air takes more hassle with a stem mounted TPMS. A stem mounted TPMS adds extra steps. A wheel mounted TPMS is pretty much set it and forget it.

Well you go with your speculation and I'll go with mine. BTY I bought the stem mounted one because it was cheaper than good quality unit like the truckers use and I did not want the hassle to get unit rim mounted.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Uh, the stem temperature will be the same temperature as the wheel since it is attached to the wheel, and it's a metal stem, so why should it be a different temperature?

It may lag a little behind, but basically it will be the same temperature as the wheel, ergo the stem and sensor will be the same temperature as the sensor inside the wheel. The inside sensor won't be exposed to the air moving around the wheel, but since "metal is a better conductor of heat than air" that shouldn't affect the temperature of the stem/sensor much.

I don't trust my TST to provide timely temperature notification of a bearing going bad. Bearing usually go quicker than my TST would respond and the lag would be of concern. It should be noted that the commercial truckers prefer inside rim mounted TPMS for a reason. I did not buy my TST to reliably monitor temperature because I use my IR sensor. BTY some valve stems are plastic or rubber which are another poor conductor of heat not to mention that the stem is whizzing in the air to promote cooling while traveling.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Uh, the stem temperature will be the same temperature as the wheel since it is attached to the wheel, and it's a metal stem, so why should it be a different temperature?

It may lag a little behind, but basically it will be the same temperature as the wheel, ergo the stem and sensor will be the same temperature as the sensor inside the wheel. The inside sensor won't be exposed to the air moving around the wheel, but since "metal is a better conductor of heat than air" that shouldn't affect the temperature of the stem/sensor much.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't offend me, I just don't agree with you when you say the temperature alarm won't work in time on a TST system that has a sensor on a valve stem. I have my opinion, which I am entitled to, and experienced proof that the system WORKED for ME and that is all I need. I was just letting others know of my experience with a sensor that is on a valve stem.
I really can't understand why you feel the need to show, quote or continue to explain anything to me. You are also entitled to post your opinion but you can stop replying to me because I just don't care. Our opinions differ, so be it. Di

justme wrote:
Dutch & Di wrote:
I don't need teaching from you..

Sorry I offended you. I was only trying to explain using physics why stem temperature is not as accurate as inside the tire monitors which shows that metal is a better conductor of heat than air to put in more simple terms without the mathematics.
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch & Di wrote:
I don't need teaching from you..

Sorry I offended you. I was only trying to explain using physics why stem temperature is not as accurate as inside the tire monitors which shows that metal is a better conductor of heat than air to put in more simple terms without the mathematics.

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
Brake Caliper sticks---heating rotor---transfers heat to mounted wheel which heats air in tire. Once 159degrees is reaches {default TST monitor setting}--Alarm goes off. Nuff said in my book. I don't need teaching from you. This works for us & I'm glad that what you have works for you. Di

justme wrote:
Dutch & Di wrote:
It seems like it is your way or no way.
Your excerpt:
If you think your valve monitor would have provided the same warning then show me the physics and if you are mathematician show me the surface integral of heat dispappation:
to me means I have to prove something to you. I don't. I know my system alerted me in time to save much more damage. What you feel about me, my education and knowledge of physics is just your way of puffing out your chest. So puff away. As I said, I don't have to prove/show anything to you. You are entitled to your opinion as I am in mine.To me, that is all that matters.
Our alarm went off as we were leaving the road to turn into a Verizon store. We did not have to be stopped for the high temperature to show up & the alarm to sound.
When I replied to you, I never said you were wrong. A courtesy extended to you but not returned. I said: This was not the case for us. You, one the other hand apparently believe everyone but you is wrong. Di
justme wrote:
I trust my in-tire sensor because it is mounted to the rim inside the tire and therefore will sense the change in temperature much faster than a valve stem sensor. It is the change in temperature vs time that IMHO is important. I suppose the valve sensor will eventually see the temperature change, but will it be show it in time for you to take action before permanent damage occurs to the axle? I saved my axle because I seen a small abnormal temperature rise of 5 degrees and I simply don't see how a valve stem temperature monitor would have detected that small increase in short period of time. After stopping to see what caused the temperature increase, I measured the hub with my IR gun and showed 180 deg while the temp monitor showed 135 vs a normal 130 the temperature monitor eventually went to 170 deg after stopping.
If you think your valve monitor would have provided the same warning then show me the physics and if you are mathematician show me the surface integral of heat dispappation ๐Ÿ˜‰

This might help understand temperature and rate of distribution..https://www.khanacademy.org/math/multivariable-calculus/surface-integrals/surface_integrals/v/introduction-to-the-surface-integral
It is not my way or no way, but physics.
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that a tpms system is a must-no matter which brand you prefer.
I don't feel this is a mine is better than yours issue, at least on my side. I'm just saying that in OUR case the temperature alarm did it's job realizing the valve stem sensor was getting hot and let us know. That to me is doing it's job. Hugs, Di
golf_bears wrote:
I wish I could find the pictures of our experience. Long story short, four years ago this coming April, traveling north out of Los Vegas on 15. TST TPMS system alarm goes off. Pull over, find a burnt bearing. Call Coach-Net, all taking care of, had four days left on my warranty, no cost to me. Thank the good Lord!!!

About two months later read on the internet about individual with same RV and truck as I have who also burns a bearing on his RV. He does not have a TPMS system. RV goes up in flames but he was able to pull over and disconnect the truck.

Moral of the story, get a TPMS system if you don't have one. Stop arguing about "Mine Is Better Than Yours", It's kind of childless and will never solve anything. Again, if you don't have a system get one.