cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trade in or sale

53_willys
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of buying a new 5th wheel or maybe a class A motor home, my question is should I trade my 5th wheel in or sale myself. Our 5th wheel is in great shape its a 2005 Americana LC 31' Looks like the day we picked it up new I had all decals removed and painted new graphics on.
16 REPLIES 16

53_willys
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replys guys , have a great day......Dan

True_temper
Explorer
Explorer
Dealer offered 6500 on trade for our 2000 class c, sold it outright for 18000 and had 2 people wanting it.

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
We sold my wife's motorcycle through Craigslist. We found out two years later that the man that bought never changed the registration. Not sure where he got license plates from!
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
I traded mine and lost a few grand but time is money and I didn't have that time to meet and show everyone my camper. I'd lose a few grand running home just to show it..... Trade works for me if you can digest the loss. Just make sure you negotiate the best deal possible on the new one. There gonna inflate your trade so it looks good to the bank, they don't like to show negative equity but you can do your own research on NADA to get your trade in value and these days it's pretty easy to find out what's fair on the new one. Good luck!
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Also consider "sales tax" do you pay tax on the difference after trade or not?
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sell, trade for a NEW RV you end up getting it in the shorts no matter what you do. It might take a year or to before you realize it.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
You will almost always do better financially by not trading. If you trade they will give you an inflated price for the trade-in and not discount the new unit as much. Makes you think you are getting a good offer but if you have no trade you usually get a much better price on the new unit if you bargain. So, you can take way less than the trade offer if you sell on your own. You might do 100's better or even several thousand. A big BUT, it is much easier to trade and not fool around trying to sell as long as you know you are probably paying more.
Jayco-noslide

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Sale it yourself! Youll get more $$

X-2 (or 21) - A "no brainer" - Sell it yourself.!!

More $$ - plus you are in So. CA = high demand area for all RVs - especially well cared for, clean ones.

The buyers are "tuned in" due to year-round camping.
Advertise it on Craigs List - your phone will be ringing off the hook!
(Use a dedicated voice mail number - and return the calls)

Puts you in a much better negotiating position for whatever you want to buy.

With a trade-in the Dealer is *always* in the Driver's Seat:
Value of trade-in goes up - so does the price of the new RV.
Price of RV comes down - so does the trade-in allowance.
Lose-lose for you, win-win for the dealer.

No trade-in = no smoke and mirrors!..:W
(Well.....at least - fewer, LOL)

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Try to sell it, but price it fairly. If you can sell it for more than the trade, more than covering the additional sales tax on a cash purchase, then you will be better off selling, not counting the aggravation of lookie-loos and tire kickers.
John A. Lichty

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
B.O. Plenty wrote:
It's a 2005 model. In the RV world that's getting pretty old. Probably won't be worth huge dollars either way. They usually deduct the trade in price from the new price when figuring sales tax. That might soften the blow a little bit. I'd try and sell it outright first. If it doesn't go in a couple trade it and be done.

B.O.

X2

The dealer won't give you anymore than book value. I would find out how much it is worth on a trade add a couple of grand and try to sell it myself. As B.O. said if it doesn't sell in a couple of weeks then trade.

When I sold our previous TT the buyer came from South Dakota to Kansas City to buy it. Said all he had found around him was junk. Said he could tell mine had been taken care of by how clean it was in the pics I posted.

If the fifth wheel is as clean as you say it is, I would think if you price it right, you won't have any trouble selling it. Good luck!
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a 2005 model. In the RV world that's getting pretty old. Probably won't be worth huge dollars either way. They usually deduct the trade in price from the new price when figuring sales tax. That might soften the blow a little bit. I'd try and sell it outright first. If it doesn't go in a couple trade it and be done.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sail it yourself.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sale it yourself! Youll get more $$

If you want to pay wholesale price for the new trailer , they will only give you wholesale trade value...
I am going through that right now,,, wholesale trade value is $16,000.00.. retail trade value is $27,000.. I want the best of both worlds , wholesale on new-retail trade on mine. ๐Ÿ™‚ so I am trying to sell mine before ordering new...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet