cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailair pin box accessory

Bandaid
Explorer
Explorer
I've just placed an order for a new fifth wheel taking the option for a Trailair pin box. However, it does not come as a Tri-Glide from the company. Has anyone purchased the "chucking" plate, from Ultra Fab/ Trailair, to convert the standard air bag pin box to the new style Tri-Glide. If so, can you give the part number I would need to order one.

Thanks,
Bandaid
20 REPLIES 20

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ChopperBill wrote:
Bandaid wrote:
Thanks all,

I had an E-mail from Ultra Fab today and they pretty much said it would not be worth the money to add the lower glide plate also. I am going to stick with the standard Trailair optional hitch, offered and ordered from the manufacturer. It has to be better than the plain old steel tongue sticking out of the front of the camper!
The last two campers were equipped that way and I'm tired of being beaten to death on the concrete Interstates. Short of selling my present Reese hitch and investing in a Hensley air ride hitch, this Trailair option appears to be the best.

Bandai

That is basicly what I said and I sure would like to know why they cant sell a Tri glide option a lot cheaper than buying a complete hitch. I would rather have the chucking option than the bag and shock. That is why if I go with another hitch it will be a Demco.

Can't get the TriGlide without the Air bag.

His dealer is not working with him!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bandaid wrote:
Thanks all,

I had an E-mail from Ultra Fab today and they pretty much said it would not be worth the money to add the lower glide plate also. I am going to stick with the standard Trailair optional hitch, offered and ordered from the manufacturer. It has to be better than the plain old steel tongue sticking out of the front of the camper!
The last two campers were equipped that way and I'm tired of being beaten to death on the concrete Interstates. Short of selling my present Reese hitch and investing in a Hensley air ride hitch, this Trailair option appears to be the best.

Bandai

That is basicly what I said and I sure would like to know why they cant sell a Tri glide option a lot cheaper than buying a complete hitch. I would rather have the chucking option than the bag and shock. That is why if I go with another hitch it will be a Demco.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bandaid wrote:
Thanks all,

Bandai

You will be very happy with the TrailAir air ride pin box!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Bandaid
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all,

Bandai

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Atom Ant wrote:
It can be a catch 22.

Our manufacturer offered the tri-glide as a $600 option over the standard Rotoflex pin box. With discounts it was just a little over $300. I couldn't refuse, but I would think twice before dropping $1300 for it after the fact. If the factory is offering the standard Trailair air ride pin box, you may be getting a pretty good price for it in the end. I might be inclined to try it and see how it works before jumping through a bunch of hoops for the tri-glide.

I added it to mine but I don't think I even needed it in the first place.

Bought mine from Lippert with a Business License so it could be wholesale pricing.

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
It can be a catch 22.

Our manufacturer offered the tri-glide as a $600 option over the standard Rotoflex pin box. With discounts it was just a little over $300. I couldn't refuse, but I would think twice before dropping $1300 for it after the fact. If the factory is offering the standard Trailair air ride pin box, you may be getting a pretty good price for it in the end. I might be inclined to try it and see how it works before jumping through a bunch of hoops for the tri-glide.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
RGordon wrote:
Looks like the lower jaw tri-glide conversion cost about the same as the original pinbox. I would suggest you purchase a complete new Trailair Tri-Glide pinbox at e-trailer.com for $1200 and take your old unit and sell it on Craigslist or Ebay and just change out complete pinboxes. It will be about same work. Another note, the tri-glide adds 2 inches to the height of your camper and requires you a lower you hitch in your truck bed. Just a suggestion!

I would have them install a standard pin box then install a TrailAir with TriGlide your self if they can't do what you want.

Barbra Streisand = B S!

I still call B S that they can't give you the TriGlide.

RGordon
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the lower jaw tri-glide conversion cost about the same as the original pinbox. I would suggest you purchase a complete new Trailair Tri-Glide pinbox at e-trailer.com for $1200 and take your old unit and sell it on Craigslist or Ebay and just change out complete pinboxes. It will be about same work. Another note, the tri-glide adds 2 inches to the height of your camper and requires you a lower you hitch in your truck bed. Just a suggestion!
Ron & Libby Gordon
07 Ford F350 Dually Tow Boss Diesel
07 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #3698
02 Winnebago Adventurer 35U V10 (Former RV)
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
Bandaid wrote:
What the pin box does not have is the rubberized pin plate to reduce the horizontal movement of starting and stopping, or the rhythmic banging on concrete roads.
Bandaid,
Just FYI - I have the tri-glide and I don't think it is rubberized, rather it operates like the Demco Glide Ridewith kind of a pendulem or cam type action between the plate and the hitch. I can move mine by hand to the extreme forward and rearward positions and I couldn't do that if it were rubberized.
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bandaid wrote:
The optional Trailair pin box has the air bag and shock absorber, but is not the Tri-glide model.

Bandaid

Not sure what all the confusion is all about. You CAN order a TrailAir air bag pin box with the TriGlide. If someone is telling you no, they are full of Barbra Streisand!
I think you are the one confusing the issue - and what's with the Barbara Streisand quip?

All bandaid says is the 5th wheel manufacturer does not offer the tri-glide, only the Trailair air ride pin box. He simply wants to know if anyone has retrofited the air ride pin box with the lower gliding plate to make it a tri-glide :R

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bandaid wrote:
The optional Trailair pin box has the air bag and shock absorber, but is not the Tri-glide model.

Bandaid

Not sure what all the confusion is all about. You CAN order a TrailAir air bag pin box with the TriGlide. If someone is telling you no, they are full of Barbra Streisand!

Bandaid
Explorer
Explorer

Bandaid

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can add the plate but it is almost as much as the complete hitch with already on. You would have almost twice the price in your hitch. I would see if you can change your order. You have to call for the part number unless the site has it now.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Let's clear this up.

Did you order the TrailAir air bag pin box or the regular TrailAir pin box?

If you ordered the regular then change the order to TrailAir air ride pin box with TriGlide.

The TriGlide is a option for the air ride box only.