cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trailer brakes

buddie1
Explorer
Explorer
here's the deal: I was traveling from West Virginia back to Nebraska pulling my 36ft 5th wheel. Stopped in Indy for the night, back on the road again in the morning no problems. Stopped in Jamesport, Mo for the night. Left the campground in the morning & my trailer started hoping brakes would come on .. off..on...off. stopped reconnected everything again same thing. unplugged the controller from fuse box so at least I would have lights no go. So unplugged from truck completely pulled home with no brakes or lights. Looking for some input. Reese controller 83500. truck 06 chevy durmax
5 REPLIES 5

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
ScottG wrote:
The wires that cross over inside the axles may have finally rubbed through their insulation and are intermittently shorting. Very common!

This would be my thought, depending on age/miles on trailer. You can check by running wires across on the outside of axle.

Jerry

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The wires that cross over inside the axles may have finally rubbed through their insulation and are intermittently shorting. Very common!

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Could your emergency brake cable be loose at the connection on the pin?
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
Do you know if the trailer lighting was blinking in and out as well? I had that issue on my race trailer and had to replace the 7 pin whip as not only was the brake controller going nuts the lights where flickering.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
The brakes themselves are fairly simple electrically, so I'd look for a loose wire or possibly a controller problem. Try duplicating the problem in your driveway. If your trailer lights are also going on & off with the brakes, then it's almost certainly a wire problem since the controller doesn't work the lights. Also, look at the controller readout & see if the brake number changes or stays at zero.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.