cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Saver BD3 Hitch -- Help Analyzing Used Condition

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
I've been watching for a Trailer Saver BD3 Air Ride Hitch used. One came up for sale locally. I haven't gone to look at it yet, but the pictures of it look rough. I'm posting two pics of it below. It's obvious that it has been out in the weather a lot. In the pic rust can be seen inside the jaws and other places. It is obvious to me that it would require reconditioning. The price it is offered would be very attractive IF it were in better condition. But I'm not sure if it's worth messing with, even at a price way lower than a new one.

My questions for those who own or have owned these hitches and know them are:

Would it be worth buying this and taking it apart, then cleaning it, lubing it, and repainting it?

What parts would likely need to be replaced on a BD3 in this condition?

Given the visual condition of the hitch, is it likely that the air bags would need to be replaced due to weathering? This is offered for sale in a hot sunny climate, so it may have been in the sun a lot, as well as the rain. However, this could be a snowbird's hitch, so at this time, I don't know the history of it.

Is it worth looking into buying this and reconditioning it? Or better to not even bother going to look at it?

Thanks for any expertise on these hitches!

10 REPLIES 10

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
a64armt wrote:
I am interested in your refurbishment project. I too bought a used BD3 a couple years ago when we were outfitting our truck for a 5th wheel. We have since placed the purchase on hold since my wife went back to school this year.

I picked up the hitch and a slider for the BD3 for $1100 and I was quite pleased.

I purchased a sticker kit direct from Hensley ($30 I think), but couldn't get a replacement serial number label. We have the silver-metalized vinyl labels at work, so I will just make one.

The head assy, pins, shocks and airbags on ours are in great shape. Only the base will need attention. The paint is chipping off in large sections. My plans were to media blast it and have it powder coated. I will have to pay close attention to the holes to ensure the thick powder coat does not interfere with the assembly.

I look forward to seeing your write up.

OJ

Good luck on your project! Re my BD3 refurbishment project, other more pressing projects have intervened, so it is likely that I won't begin refurbishing my BD3 until late summer or fall, time will tell. Nevertheless, whenever I have completed it, I will definitely post pictures here as promised.

a64armt
Explorer
Explorer
I am interested in your refurbishment project. I too bought a used BD3 a couple years ago when we were outfitting our truck for a 5th wheel. We have since placed the purchase on hold since my wife went back to school this year.

I picked up the hitch and a slider for the BD3 for $1100 and I was quite pleased.

I purchased a sticker kit direct from Hensley ($30 I think), but couldn't get a replacement serial number label. We have the silver-metalized vinyl labels at work, so I will just make one.

The head assy, pins, shocks and airbags on ours are in great shape. Only the base will need attention. The paint is chipping off in large sections. My plans were to media blast it and have it powder coated. I will have to pay close attention to the holes to ensure the thick powder coat does not interfere with the assembly.

I look forward to seeing your write up.

OJ
Vincent
Orlando, FL
2008 Ford F250 CC KR 6.4 Diesel - Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HDโ€™s, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3
2014 Lifestyle RV LS36FW

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE:

Thanks very much, everyone for your comments and suggestions. I did go see the hitch today. As best I could tell, it is still in good operational condition. The flaws appear to me to be mostly or perhaps entirely cosmetic. As I get time, I will take it apart and do whatever reconditioning is necessary. I plan to get it looking and working like a new one. But I bought it for less than a third of the price of a new one, so that leaves me plenty of room to recondition it.

Once I have completed the reconditioning, I will post some "After" pics here.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Contact Hensley and ask them how much to inspect and refurbish.
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I see hitches and entry steps to fifthwheels that have rust and are being used.

I like to keep ours looking nice and at 14 years old both are looking good.

I would agree the hitch could be ok if the working parts are not worn.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, all, for your your responses! Much appreciated.

Is it possible to dismantle the head to better get to the jaws so I could remove the rust and repaint?

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
That unit looks to be in pretty good shape. I see nothing seriously wrong with it
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Here are pics of it from the sides. That label looks like it could be fresh. What would that be?

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
It appears to have been reconditioned. Looks like new pins for the jaws and the drill holes on mating surface indicate side pins were replaced at some point. Check the play where side pins and hitch head come together. Too much play there will be an expensive repair... about $750 for a new head. If all checks out I'd buy it.
04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
Chenowth 4-seat 3.5 honda
15 maverick xds
Beautiful wife that's much nicer than me:B

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The corrosion looks very superficial and minimal. Mostly it just looks dirty.
Also the paint on lot of stuff like that is really lousy and fails quickly. I would buy it if the price is good and repaint it with some Rustoleum Professional.
Then it will look like new.