cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trailer wheel weight rating/compared to tire psi rating?

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

My 6-bolt wheels on 5200 lb axles with oem 225/75R 15 D-rated 2540 max wt tires. My wheels are steel and are marked 2,600 max weight. My FW GVWR is 12,110, which would mean 10K max on tires/wheels. I have a 4K CCC, so FW never loaded to GVWR. I am thinking not much more than 8,500 lbs on tires/wheels most times.

I am planning to replace the tires this Spring. My first choice is GY Endurance 225/75R 15E with max rating 2,830 at 80 psi. I understand that at 65 psi, these tires would carry same 2540 as current D tires.

My question is...if I inflate these new E-rated tires to 80 psi, giving the tires full load carrying capacity, will the wheels take that increase in pressure? I will replace the rubber stems, with 80 psi rated stems.

Any of you heavy commercial haulers ever break a steel trailer wheel from a bit over listed max weight?

Jerry
57 REPLIES 57

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Side scrub stress isn't about loosing tread rubber but like Capriracer and Tireman9 tell us its more about inter ply shear forces that we cant see. The best chance the tire has under those condition of not shedding a tread or breaking a inner ply is using max sidewall pressures.
Thats why tire experts and even Goodyear tells us to use max sidewall pressure unless the trailer was over tired causing a rough ride ...like using a load G tire on 5.2k -6k axles or a tire with 50 percent capacity above the gawrs.

Tireman9 rvtiresafety has several thread where he tells us about inner ply shear forces...this is jut one of his info talks...
Side scrub stress isn't about loosing tread rubber but like Capriracer and Tireman9 tell us its more about inter ply shear forces that we cant see. The best chance the tire has under those condition of not shedding a tread or breaking a interior belt is using max sidewall pressures. Thats why tire experts and even Goodyear tells us to use max sidewall pressure unless the trailer was over tired ...like using a load G tire on 5.2k -6k axles or a tire with 50 percent capacity above the gawrs.

Tireman9 rvtiresafety has several thread where he tells us about inner ply shear forces.....this is just one of them....
interply shear forces

Commercial trailer vs rv trailer tire tech ???
Not one bit of difference. Both can have the same axles/tires/wheels and gross weights.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Answer this. I am around 4,500# load on each tire and the GY "H" tires were not holding up running them at 125psi with a rating of 4,805#. Now I went with the Continental's with 6,005# rating at 125psi. Would you run 125 psi or lower pressure like 100 that gives 5,200# capacity?

Some insight from CapriRacer's webpage

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
People make too much fuss over the tire scrubbing. The only time the tires are subjected to much scrubbing is when you are in a sharp turn or backing and you are going slow. 98% of the time they are running straight and not subject to scrubbing.

When I have to back into a site, the tires on my 3-axle 5er do scrub but so far, I age-out the tires long before they are worn out.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
CapriRacer wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I would like someone to explain whey they have weight inflation chart for the ENDURANCE if it's not ok to run tires pressures based on actual load. ......

Those are MINIMUMS, not recommendations.

Sure but that is what the tire is designed to support at those pressures right?

Maybe you can elaborate. Do you disagree with GY tech support or agree that a person up sizing in load range can use the chart for the best ride, tire wear and stopping by adding 5psi to the chart.

Let's forget Jerry's rim pressure rating. If you went to the GY "E" 15" would you run the tires at 80psi or use the chart plus 5psi as GY Tech recommends?

Answer this. I am around 4,500# load on each tire and the GY "H" tires were not holding up running them at 125psi with a rating of 4,805#. Now I went with the Continental's with 6,005# rating at 125psi. Would you run 125 psi or lower pressure like 100 that gives 5,200# capacity?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I would like someone to explain whey they have weight inflation chart for the ENDURANCE if it's not ok to run tires pressures based on actual load. ......

Those are MINIMUMS, not recommendations.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Scrubbing" think about it. Full weight on a tire at 80psi will have a lateral drag of a certain amount. Lighten the load and it will be less. Heavier duty tire with the pressure set to say 65 will not scrub anymore than the 65psi "D" tire. More weight equals more scrubbing along with softer tire sidewall of a "D" tire.

I highly doubt your outer edge wear is related to scrubbing and is more a case of the tire is simply not carrying the load to allow it to wear un evenly.

I know I won't change your mind but when one of the largest tire manufacturers says to use the chart when upsizing load range I have to believe it as so. They said to do so will give even tread wear, better stopping and better ride. I used their recommendation and it proved to be correct.

JIMNLIN has a lot of good info but remember he comes at this from a commercial haulers perspective.

I would like someone to explain whey they have weight inflation chart for the ENDURANCE if it's not ok to run tires pressures based on actual load.

I have the 14" "D" ENDURANCE 65psi tires on my Boat trailer. I have ran them since Summer 2017 at 50psi based on load. They have a perfectly even tread wear. I have ZERO edge wear from scrubbing. It get's "SCRUBBED every single day of the Summer on a chip seal rough surface.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^A truck tire at 4 corners of truck, with free running front, and differential on the rear is a different scenario than a tandem axle trailer. The light duty ST tires I use have much softer side walls than the HD J-rated tires you are using. An ST trailer tire, properly sized/rated, on tandem axle will perform best, least side scrub/sway, run coolest, at full sidewall capacity.

My ST tire edges, wear faster than tire center, at full psi, due to scrub. In any case, mine will age out (8 years of use now) before wear out.

Roger Marble, a very accredited tire engineer, former member here, has discussed ST tires in length on tandem axle application, and agrees with my thought on this.

It makes for good discussion, and many have differing opinions, concerning pressure of trailer tire, not truck tire pressure. You and I are not going to ever have the same opinion, partly because of the difference between our rigs, and the tires required to support them.

I value your opinion, recommendations most things, as I hope you do mine.

I know that JIMNLIN, a commercial hauler, for many years/miles somewhat agrees with what I am saying. I have always valued his opinion, concerning tires.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Per GY Tech support

"when upsizing load range use the weight/inflation chart and add 5psi to what the chart dictates per your actual weights".

I personally discussed this when I went from GY "G" to GY "H" on my last Mobile Suites as I was at the upper end of the "G" tire load ratings. Seems I ran the "H" at 100psi or so for thousands of miles with perfectly even tread wear.

If they the tire manufacturer recommends the above I can't see why that is not ok for you?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
bucky wrote: "I am thinking" ??????????
I'll take the high road on your other comment.

Good man bucky! I maybe over reacted, trying to keep my thread on track. It went sideways anyway, lots for Barney to clean up, but thread stayed open. Thanks Barney:)

Since I don't need more capacity, than my current D-rated Providers, I think I'll do more searching. If I can get the same, with fresh dating they will work fine. If the Endurance came in my size, D-rated to match my wheels 2600 load I'd get them, but they don't.

Jerry

I don't get it. ENDURANCE will do everything you want, simply air to your weights and carry on. As you mentioned you do the same on your truck so what's the difference?

I just changed from OE 4,805# @ 125psi GY's to Continental 6,005# @ 125psi. My actual weights are around 4,500#. So now with my new tires would you run them at 125psi or inflate to 100 that gives 5,200# capacity?

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Southwest Wheel
Wed 3/16/2022 2:56 PM
We do not know of a wheel rated for the E rated tires. Sometimes the tire guys forget to talk to the wheel guys. You might look for a DexStar Wheel, they will be more expensive, but they would be the only group we know of that might have this.

My question to southwest wheel was asking if their 15" wheel, item #128697 (which is same style, weight rating 2600 as my wheels) could be used with E-rated tires, inflated to 75-80 psi, but never exceeding 2500 lbs on any tire/wheel.

Jerry

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
bucky wrote: "I am thinking" ??????????

Good man bucky! I maybe over reacted, trying to keep my thread on track. It went sideways anyway, lots for Barney to clean up, but thread stayed open. Thanks Barney:)

Since I don't need more capacity, than my current D-rated Providers, I think I'll do more searching. If I can get the same, with fresh dating they will work fine. If the Endurance came in my size, D-rated to match my wheels 2600 load I'd get them, but they don't.

Jerry

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocamprs wrote:
Dexter 6 lug on 5.5 are rated for 2860. Their 16" wheels were what I used when we upgraded from the stock 15" on the last trailer.

X2..... on upgrade to 16" wheels on my 11200-11400 lb 5th wheel trailer. The rv dealer just mounted 4 new ST225/75-15 D Marathons/5200 lb axles. Made a couple of 500 mile round trips to a camp area. The trailer wobbled around like a drunk hog on ice.
Bit the bullet and bought four 16"X 6 lug steel Dexstars which gave me many choices of 16" LT215/85-16 E tires selections for the trailer. I sold the 15" 6 lug wheels/new Marathon tires to a neighbor for her cargo trailer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:

My 6-bolt wheels on 5200 lb axles with oem 225/75R 15 D-rated 2540 max wt tires. My wheels are steel and are marked 2,600 max weight. My FW GVWR is 12,110, which would mean 10K max on tires/wheels. I have a 4K CCC, so FW never loaded to GVWR. I am thinking not much more than 8,500 lbs on tires/wheels most times.

Jerry

"I am thinking" ??????????
Puma 30RKSS

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Dexter 6 lug on 5.5 are rated for 2860. Their 16" wheels were what I used when we upgraded from the stock 15" on the last trailer.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Here ya go, too busy with housework to check my mail.

Southwest Wheel
Wed 3/16/2022 2:56 PM
We do not know of a wheel rated for the E rated tires. Sometimes the tire guys forget to talk to the wheel guys. You might look for a DexStar Wheel, they will be more expensive, but they would be the only group we know of that might have this.

Thank you,

SOUTHWEST WHEEL®

Celebrating 100 years in business

4809 S Westmoreland Rd

Dallas, TX 75237

(800) 866-3336

www.southwestwheel.com