Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailers, Trucks and Toy's Oh My...

G__Allen
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings Everyone!

My wife and I have been saving money for a couple of years and we are looking at replacing our Truck and looking at purchasing a toy hauler with a 4 seat side by side.

I've done exhaustive research on the products (trailers, Trucks and Toys) What I didn't consider was the impact to our credit when we make these purchases. Has anyone on here just gone "All In" so to speak with going into this? Do I need to plan on buying all items within short succession of one another?

Our buying power is not an issue for us as we have great credit and the ability to pay for said items.

Below is what we are looking at, I would appreciate your thoughts on any of these if you have them. I'm not a brand loyalist when it comes to trucks, I have a 2017 Dodge 1500 right now. I picked the Ford because I like the options better than the new 3500 Dodge Dually's.

2020- Grand Design Momentum 381M
2019/2020- Ford 450
2020- Can Am Maverick X3 Max

Thanks for your consideration, I'm looking forward to being a part of this community!!!

Glen
22 REPLIES 22

G__Allen
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you eDubz! When you did all three at one shot did you go with a credit union or just a regular bank? We have been bank with Wells Fargo for years, but i've heard many times now that a credit union is where the better rates are at. What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you again! Very Helpful!

Glen

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Yes your credit will take a hit, I had perfect credit and I pulled 3 loans back to back and it dropped but I’m still A+ credit. I had 849 when the bank gave me my loans, when it finally got reported to the credit bureau it went to 780 - At some point in time you have to cash out your perfect credit to take adavantge of all the no interest offers and crazy promotions they have 😉 I don’t plan on pulling any more loans out so I’m not worried. It will be back up in no time, we build our credit to use so i say go for it .
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, all brand new and loans for everything. Save yourself $50K and buy used, lots of stuff out there with little use to be had at a decent price, especially on the TH, let someone else take the hit and work through the issues of a new trailer and getting it dialed in. Pay cash if you can, these are toys that depreciate quickly.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

G__Allen
Explorer
Explorer
That's a Great point Dedmiston, and exactly why I am asking the questions now! I most concerned with what I don't know or don't know to ask.

dedmiston
G. Allen wrote:
Greetings Everyone!

My wife and I have been saving money for a couple of years and we are looking at replacing our Truck and looking at purchasing a toy hauler with a 4 seat side by side.

I've done exhaustive research on the products (trailers, Trucks and Toys) What I didn't consider was the impact to our credit when we make these purchases. Has anyone on here just gone "All In" so to speak with going into this? Do I need to plan on buying all items within short succession of one another?

Our buying power is not an issue for us as we have great credit and the ability to pay for said items.

Below is what we are looking at, I would appreciate your thoughts on any of these if you have them. I'm not a brand loyalist when it comes to trucks, I have a 2017 Dodge 1500 right now. I picked the Ford because I like the options better than the new 3500 Dodge Dually's.

2020- Grand Design Momentum 381M
2019/2020- Ford 450
2020- Can Am Maverick X3 Max

Thanks for your consideration, I'm looking forward to being a part of this community!!!

Glen

One hidden cost to be aware of is the insurance for the F450. When I got my insurance for my RAM 3500 dually, a couple sources told me that I was on the cusp of not being insurable through my private policy because the truck was too big to be used non-commercially.

I'm sure there are carriers that would write the policy, but you'd lose out on your multiple-policy discounts, etc. Just something to keep an eye on.

Good luck with your shopping.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston
N-Trouble wrote:
Looks like you’ve got enough truck for the trailer and enough garage space for the X3 so good planning on your part

If you get bit by the bug like I did, plan for another $8-10k you’ll likey dump into that X3. Lots of good knowledgeable folks over at Maverickforum.net when you get ready to buy.

Are you a regular over there? I'll keep an eye out for you. What's your username? Mine is the same as here.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased our truck and FW within weeks of each other. When we were ready, we discussed what we wanted to do with our loan officer with our credit union. He took care of everything, just emailed him the buyer's orders and money was placed into our checking account and we wrote the checks. Couldn't have been any easier.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like you’ve got enough truck for the trailer and enough garage space for the X3 so good planning on your part

If you get bit by the bug like I did, plan for another $8-10k you’ll likey dump into that X3. Lots of good knowledgeable folks over at Maverickforum.net when you get ready to buy.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch