cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel day - 26 MPH winds forecast

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are scheduled to travel from the San Antonio area to Sonora, TX, on Saturday with the rig in the signature. There's another front coming through and winds for most of the day are forecast to be in the 24 - 26 MPH range. We need to be on schedule Sunday... would you leave tomorrow (and leave a paid-for night) to spend Friday and Saturday nights in Sonora while the front blows through or would you drive Saturday in the wind? I've towed for 40 years, but I'm new to something this high-profile. Any and all perspectives are appreciated.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015
32 REPLIES 32

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
It's not so much the steady winds as it is the gusty winds. They can be a handful especially if the gusts are cross winds. Makes for a long white knuckle trip.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
I've routinely towed in 40+ MPH sidewinds with our rig, but the wider rear track of the dually offers additional stability. Having grown up in Odessa, a 24-26 MPH wind in West Texas doesn't even qualify as a stiff breeze. ๐Ÿ™‚

With that said, only you know how your rig responds to sidewinds, so ultimately it has to be your call.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the time, I would leave early. Less stress and if the wind does get bad, you can either stop of back off the speed a bit and still be on schedule.