cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Triple Axle Tire Rotation

slb5146
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting ready to replace 22 bushings on my 2014 Voltage Toy Hauler with Never Fail Bushings. I thought I would rotate the tires while they are off the RV. I can not seem to find a rotation diagram anywhere. Can someone please direct me to a link showing how to rotate the tires on triple axles?

Steve Brown
16 REPLIES 16

jasonlisan
Explorer
Explorer
I rotate every year also but I just move the rear to the front, the middle to the rear and the front to the middle.

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
artguys wrote:
Rotating tires only applies when there are drive tires and steering tires on the vehicle...not necessary on trailer tires.

Not true! If you check your tires regularly you will see tires on the front, middle and rear axles wear differently, therefor they need to be rotated to even out the wear.
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
UPS Feeder Driver Retired
Ham call sign N6WT

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
I rotate my tires about every 3000 miles. On the left side I just move the front tire to the rear and move the other 2 forward. On the left I put the spare tire in the mix and move the front tire to the spare position. At this time I inspect my suspension and frame for damage.

I have never had tires fail due to "dry rot". I have always worn them out. If your tires are falling apart you are doing something wrong. Do you keep them covered and out of the sun? Do you store your trailer on dirt? Do you wash them off regularly?
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
UPS Feeder Driver Retired
Ham call sign N6WT

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
artguys wrote:
Rotating tires only applies when there are drive tires and steering tires on the vehicle...not necessary on trailer tires.

Tow a triple axle trailer and turn sharp a few times and then come tell me that all tires are seeing the same use. Not happening.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

porknbeanr
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
I rotate my tires once per year when I do bearings. I keep tires on the same side of the trailer, just move the front tire to rear axle, middle to the front and rear to the middle.

Absolutely. Three axles is a whole different situation. If I didn't rotate I would be buying tires every other year.
2008 CYCLONE 4012
2008 F350 SUPER DUTY
2007 ARCTIC CAT PROWLER SXS
1999 CLUB CAR

porknbeanr
Explorer
Explorer
Strabo wrote:
I never rotate either, i just change the air and make sure the letters on the sidewall stand up when i come to a stop.
2008 CYCLONE 4012
2008 F350 SUPER DUTY
2007 ARCTIC CAT PROWLER SXS
1999 CLUB CAR

artguys
Explorer
Explorer

slb5146
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks BigDogF250. That makes sense to me.

I do appreciate all the replies.

Steve Brown

BigDogF250
Explorer
Explorer
My triple wears the back axle, I drive lots of twisty roads. So I rotate the rear to the middle (most wear to least wear). Fronts stay where they are until they need to be replaced.
Don't take life too seriously, it's not permanent.
06 Weekend Warrior FSC3200, Axles flipped, Bridgestone Duravis Tires
2005 Ford F250 PSD 4x4
07 Yamaha YZF450 White/Silver, 94 Husqvarna WXC610
2008 Polaris RZR 800, 2011 Honda CBR1000RR & one Goffin Cockatoo

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned several GN tri axle flat deck trailers some years back and presently own a 16k GN tri axle stock trailer thats on the road weekly and never rotated tires on it nor any trailer with any number of axles.

I do like to keep the better tires on the back axle(s) and sometimes rotate for that purpose.

I've never seen any type of tire rotation instructions or recommendations for a trailer. I would also be interested in a credible link. Never to old to learn.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

slb5146
Explorer
Explorer
I am a videographer. I steam live video of church meetings on the internet and make DVD's and CD's. I have been doing this for 6 years around the USA. I drive close to 30,000 miles every year. Traveling with a fifth wheel is new to me but I don't expect the tires to dry rot. I'm sure I'll wear them out before they dry rot. I would like the tires to last as long as possible. If rotating them would help then I feel that's what I should do. I really appreciate all the responses. Since I'll have the tires off any way to install the NeverFail Bushings I'll take the suggestion of:
  • Front to Rear
  • Middle to Front
  • Rear to Middle

It's been a number of years but I did full time in a motor home for 5 years and I've owned 3 motor homes. I feel I understand full timing in an RV although the fifth wheel is new to me.

Steve Brown

dodgboy
Explorer
Explorer
I do the same as Lincster. I guess the other answers are from double axle not triple axle.
2005 Dodge 2500 4X4 Cummins, BD Exhaust Brake, Edge Juice W/ Attitude, Banks Technicooler.
2009 Enduramax G-Force 3105 Toy Hauler
2012 Polaris RZR XP 4 900
1993 Geo Tracker
2004 Honda TRX 450R

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
I never rotate either, i just change the air and make sure the letters on the sidewall stand up when i come to a stop.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I need to rotate my tires I put one hand at 9:00 and one hand at 3:00...and give 'em a spin. 🙂 I've never changed the mounted positions of my tires and never will. Like Oaklevel says, dry rot will most likely take them out before they are in any way likely to wear out.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"