cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tripod support

scottyballs
Explorer
Explorer
Every now and then I see a 5th wheeler with a tripod under the pin, apparently for added support. Does this really do anything? The trailer sits on the wheels, the landing gear and the rear levelers?
42 REPLIES 42

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had one for a long time. It does make a difference. I also use tire chocks between the tires.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

CGXterra
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbors just bought one because their washer/dryer was shaking their camper on the spin cycle. They said it makes a difference.
Ed & Jess - Suffolk, Va
2014 Cedar Creek 36' CKTS
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Dually

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I couldn't tell a difference with mine, so I made it into a bipod. We notice quite a difference with the side to side movement. Plus I have NEVER thumped my head on my hitch while using the bipod. That alone is worth it to me.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
We are on a seasonal site. It took me maybe five minutes to set it up. I can tell a difference.
2012 F250 Lariat 6.5ft. bed, 6.2L, 3:73 Gears
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

SpoiledRotten
Explorer
Explorer
I like my tripod when my rig is set up for a longer period of time on our private camp site in the country. I don't think it's worth the set up and take down for a week or less of camping. It shows considerable stability on our 33' 5er.
Just the 3 of us...SpoiledRotten, TotallyRotten, and ALittleRotten
2000 F-250 Lariat, CC
7.3 PSTD-Superchipped
2005 33RL2 New Vision - AKA "SpoiledRotten"
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
We bought one about 10 years ago. I don't use it unless I'm there for awhile. We spend 3 months in Colorado at the same site. Does it help? Maybe. The Big Foot levelers and Rotohocks work best. I use it as it keeps me from hitting my head on the hitch.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
One came with our fifth wheel we have now. Never even tried it, sold it on Craig's list .Figured it was just one more gadget that took up room and didn't have to have.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
The aluminum one I bought was a PITA. I nick named it the octopus.

I dumped it in FL for $50, and switched to Winfield stabilizers. You can google that and watch a video if I still remembered the name correctly.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Have used on for almost 10 years. Never a problem to set up....only takes a couple of minutes. Where I am now....there are 12 5th wheels and all but 2 of them have a tri-pod.
cpaulsen

All_about_the_B
Explorer
Explorer
WOW! After ten years with a fifth wheel, I had come to believe that I should get a tripod because it seemed most other 5ers used them. I never bothered to ask anyone. I use X chocks and they do the job. I just thought I may be missing something but apparently, I can save my money. Good news, thanks everyone!
2003 Dodge Diesel 4X4 Quad
2019 Jayco 29.5 BHOK Fifth Wheel

billmac
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the same one for 10 years. It is no problem for me to set up and take down.

The tripod doesn't do much for rocking. However, I can only guess how many times someone would have bumped their head ect into the hitch. I also like the piece of mind knowing it will also support the front of trailer if necessary. I also lock my bikes and valuables to the tripod.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as my wife thinks it makes her more comfortable it is worth the trouble of setting it up for stays more than two nights.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

diesel_man_03
Explorer
Explorer
I have one and am also looking for a good for it, not mine.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
About the worst $150 I ever spent. A PITA to set up and if it makes a difference it's not much.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler