cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck stops.

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
After deciding to buy a Fifth-wheel I started thinking what I would need to know about this thing. One of the first things I realized is I have not been at a truck stop with a trailer hitched up since 2003. So what do I do when I pull up to a diesel pump at a truck stop now?
112 REPLIES 112

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
What is a good size for a aux tank? Do you have it plumbed right in to the truck or do you transfer as needed?

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
+1 for aux tank. Never fill up with the trailer attached again, and go where you want for fuel.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

DReisinger
Explorer
Explorer
If not stopping at a truck stop, look for a station where the islands parallel the road. And yes most truck stops are more expensive but it is a good place to stop for the night.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree, having the aux tank sure makes life less stressful & gives a better advantage in the 'who has the best fuel price' game. It also helps to cut down on visits to the pump & increase the chances of a delaying a fill up till you don't have the trailer in tow.

Truck stops are easy. That is for sure. They usually costs more too. It is all a balancing game of price & convenience.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet wrote:
I think we missed a couple of points in our discussion:

When I talked about using FlyingJ or Pilot...I didn't mean to suggest that was all I used or the best to use...price etc.

I meant to convey that you can get in and out and not get jammed up with cars. The "Rv lanes" at a couple of them were no better then the regular non truck lanes...And I didn't see DEF at the RV lane pump at the ones I stopped at.

Also, I can plan my stops on a long trip and KNOW I can get fuel their and not stress trying to finding a good stop with my 38' 5th Wheel.

I never had to wait behind another truck in my 10 stops or so this year at "truck stops".

This is not a pro truck stop rant...just my opinion and observations.

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto, Ditto . . . even on the 38 foot 5th wheel. All except the waiting. I'd say I have to wait for a trucker to clear the lane 10-20% of the time, but it is almost never long as they are almost always courteous and time is money for them. A little longer wait equates to a longer break from driving, which is needed while travelling anyway. Getting in a hurry on the road is a recipe for stress and potentially other bad things.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I think we missed a couple of points in our discussion:

When I talked about using FlyingJ or Pilot...I didn't mean to suggest that was all I used or the best to use...price etc.

I meant to convey that you can get in and out and not get jammed up with cars. The "Rv lanes" at a couple of them were no better then the regular non truck lanes...And I didn't see DEF at the RV lane pump at the ones I stopped at.

Also, I can plan my stops on a long trip and KNOW I can get fuel their and not stress trying to finding a good stop with my 38' 5th Wheel.

I never had to wait behind another truck in my 10 stops or so this year at "truck stops".

This is not a pro truck stop rant...just my opinion and observations.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
All these posts about how to get into, and more importantly, how to get out of a fuel station with trailer in tow are all excellent suggestions and pointers. And they all make me happier with my auxiliary fuel tank. Filling up with the 5th wheel unhooked just makes life easier. Less stress is a wonderful thing, and I would highly recommend an auxiliary fuel tank as a stress reduction device. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
Even thought if you have a Good Sam card an get 5 cents a gallon off at fly-J or Pilot I find that local gas station tend to be even cheaper.

I try to use gas station that have the pumps parallel to the building an not facing the building. I tend to pull into the newer station because there overhead is much, much taller than the old gas station of the past.

If I have to pull into a station that the pumps are facing the building I try to get to the end pumps away from the building thus have more room to swing out if needed...

I tend to start to looking for fuel stops when I get down just above to a 1/4 tank of fuel this have time to pick an choose where I stop.

Safe travels

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
My first diesel pick up an 03 GMC would not take the larger nozzle. The first thing I did was buy the replacement filler neck that did take care of that problem.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
81 VW, 86 C20, two 98 RAM's, 11 RAM, And current 15 RAM ALL DIESELS AND THEY ALL TOOK THE "BIG ONE" JUST FINE. Sorry for the caps.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
wyokaboy wrote:
I think the fuel filler nozzle size being too large to fit is just a myth. I have never found one too large to fit, has anyone else?
Back in the old day yes the tractor trailer fill nozzles were to lager for the Ford and Chevy fills openings (80s thru 2000s). It always took my longer to fill up with them. They kept shutting off or spraying fuel all over the place. Much easier now.

My '99 super duty could not take the semi nozzles
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

wyokaboy
Explorer
Explorer
I think the fuel filler nozzle size being too large to fit is just a myth. I have never found one too large to fit, has anyone else?
Back in the old day yes the tractor trailer fill nozzles were to lager for the Ford and Chevy fills openings (80s thru 2000s). It always took my longer to fill up with them. They kept shutting off or spraying fuel all over the place. Much easier now.
06 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW 4X4, Duramax, Timbrens, 4in Diamond Eye, B&W turnover and Companion
13 Denali 330RLS
04 S&S 9.5 TC

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Look down the throat of your fuel filler. If it is wide open, you will not have a problem. If yours has a cross piece like gas vehicles in there about 3 inches, you will have a problem.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wyokaboy
Explorer
Explorer
Bowti wrote:

We use the "Next Exit" book to find exits that have diesel fuel. We have also found that most gas stations that have diesel have the diesel pumps on the outside lanes. We target stations that are on the corner which allows you to enter from one street and exit to another street using the outside pumps. Many stations are set up this way to accommodate large rigs.

We have never had a problem filling up, no matter what kind of station we have used, and we have used them all.
06 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW 4X4, Duramax, Timbrens, 4in Diamond Eye, B&W turnover and Companion
13 Denali 330RLS
04 S&S 9.5 TC

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, I've been stuck behind truckers who fill up and then disappear for 15-20 minutes too. So not too much patience with them either. I fill up and then move, and I expect them to do the same, and many don't.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"