cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TT to Fifth Wheel

williams1989
Explorer
Explorer
We are seriously considering a fifth wheel, just curious, has anyone regretted moving to a fifth wheel from travel trailer?
Happy Camping and Safe Travels!
The Williams Family
24 REPLIES 24

williams1989
Explorer
Explorer
Well...I finally have everything put back in the new 5W...it is ready for our trip this weekend!!!
The Williams Family

williams1989
Explorer
Explorer
@jerem0621...I had the same feelings going from flat to steps..giving up my TT has been big for me, since I loved it, I love the floor plan we found in the FW ( I should, been looking for over a year for it )....first trip is out this weekend.. we will see what the verdict is after this weekend... Happy Camping!!!
The Williams Family

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure I could give up the flat floor and the 2-3 steps it takes to get in the TT "just like at home".

I know how to set up a TT to pull well and I like the overall lower profile.

I also like the fact that I can use a smaller, more DD friendly TV... And still pull a good sized RV.

Hitching up was what I consider work with the TT until I bought a power tongue jack, then there was no problem hitching up. I like that the WD hitch came apart in smaller manageable pieces that were easy to store.

With all that said, fivers are very nice and have a lot of benefits that have been very well laid out here. Travel Trailers have their place too and are the go-to unit for many people.

The word Upgrade may be appropriate for some Fivers, but not all. TT may be considered entry level by some people but there are some pretty nice Travel trailers. Palomino Sabre and Jayco Eagle make some nice TT's.

Fivers are not as sensitive to tongue weight as tag along type trailers are.

Both can pull well, both can pull terribly.

I lean Tag along, that doesn't mean I will never own a fiver.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
Congrat. on your purchase, wishing you many happy nights in the new to your family 5th wheel.
Try using it on the weekends in the driveway and leave the cells' in the S&B., a great few hours watching a movie and being with lovbed ones without ever leaving.
DW Fur-children myself GREAT date.

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats on the new rig. You will love it especially after you get used to backing it up.

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
I did the change, I like the extra space, but keep in mind you are moving a bigger/higher and heavier thing in the back of your truck.

williams1989
Explorer
Explorer
Well we did it...purchase our 2011 Jayco Eagle 31.5 RLDS fifth wheel!
The Williams Family

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
Made the switch to a 5th 9 years ago with no regrets. We fulltime.
We will deal with the stairs if and when we can't handle them.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

bobx2
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned one pup, three TT's and now my 5th wheel. My last TT was a toy hauler and my 5th wheel is a mid profile, so I only gained about 3" in overall height. I will say that the FW does pull better down the road. Took a couple of trips to relearn how to back up, but it's no big deal. The FW just seems to have a "homier" feel to it. Not saying I would never go back to a TT, but for now I prefer the FW.
Becky, Bob, Taylie and Bode
2009 Silverado Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Mine
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Wifes

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
Went to a 5th wheel about a year ago after being in a travel trailer for 8 years.
I made the change for the ease of hooking up, knees getting bad and having to get down on the ground each time was getting hard.
5th wheel pulls much better also.
People talk about storage space being better in a 5th wheel but my travel had outside door for bunk beds with lots of storage space under beds that was very handy, miss that. But glad I made the change.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Hook-up and un-hooking are a breeze with a fiver. The 400+ sq ft. of room inside is wonderful too. The only drawback is the 13+ roof height. You have to be REALLY careful with low bridges and low hanging limbs.
Mike
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
rugermark2 wrote:
I just bought my 5er 2 months ago. So far I really like the 5er better, space, ease of towing. I also think you can hook-up the 5er quicker than a TT. It did take a while to get the hang of backing it up, 5th wheels turn slower than travel trailers. I watched some video on you tube on how they react compared to trailers.

Everything he said!!!! No regrets....well actually one small one...wish I would have done it sooner.

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Have had two Puma fivers now (had two Terry TTs before) also went to a fiver car trailer (not a gooseneck) over my bumper hitch....... Only regret should have done it sooner...... would never go back to a TT. Fifth wheels hitch easier, tow better, turn sharper. As mentioned loose some bed space when camping, but I take the hitch out when not towing & need the space.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I will quit RVing before going back to a TT. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!