cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV Antenna

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be heading out soon for several months. Our stock TV antenna often leaves us with no TV signal. Please suggest a better antenna that you use.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
10 REPLIES 10

BriaBeck
Explorer
Explorer
We've got a Winegard Rayzar antenna... I think it works pretty well...

The Rayzar is a rotatable antenna... but you don't have to raise or lower it.
Brian and Becky

PrimeTime Avenger ATI 27RBS
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I also have a round omni antenna, that works good for closer towers. When I need longer distance reception, I use a Jack on a pole fastened to my ladder, and connected to the outside cable hookup. I have it about 4' above the roof, works great.

Jerry

BillandCarole
Explorer
Explorer
We have what we feel is one of those useless "saucer" antennas. Lousy reception. Is there an easy way to replace it?
Anytime we open a roof option, we worry about resealing it.
Regards and Thanks
Bill
2K8 Chevy LTZ Turbo Diesel 4x4
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider
Honda EU2000's to power the toys
Garmin GPS's/Android Pixel 2XL -WAZE
"And were still wandering..."

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your help everyone. we just ordered the Winegard batwing with the Wingman addition. Hope it isn't too difficult to mount.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
AS a ham radio operator, you want as much metal and as high in the air as possible. You cannot do better than the old Wineguard batwing with the Wingman addition or the Sensar IV.

The King does not do as well and the round omnidirectional antennas work equally bad in all directions. For the best reception of off air signals, it takes a big and tall conventional home antenna.

But if you really want to get TV in the wilds, get a Dish month to month plan and a Wineguard Carryout antenna...not the King Tailgater.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you frequently travel in fringe TV areas and in parks without cable, then satellite is your best option for reliable TV reception. Dish offers a monthly pay as you go plan if you only intend to use it part time.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also tried several different antennas . The KINGS JACK was a very strong antenna setup but it lacks BEAM WIDTH. I had to constantly re-zero in on the stations as I found them. Going back the BATWING with the front dipoles picks up the same distant HDTV station but in most cases I do not have to re-zero in on the station location... To me that was more important than having just little stronger antenna the KINGS JACK antenna gave me. I live some 50-60 miles south of Washington DC where it has HDTV Station transmitter towers on both East and West sides of Washington DC. I can usually get my BATWING in just the right position to pick up the HDTV towers on both sides of town. With the KINGS JACK I have to always make two zero-in adjustments and sometimes three to be able to pick up all of the Washington DC towers from my location here in King George VA.

Google images

My best antenna in my tests was the 8 BOW TIE antenna where each of the half's could be slightly changed to spread out the beam width. This gave me very strong signals from the Washington DC metroplex area. However putting up and taking down and knowing when to move the individual panels slightly off center just wasn't RV Friendly haha... This antenna ended up on my house with both panels spread just right to pick up all of the Washington DC HDTV channels...

Google image

My camper is the OFF-ROAD POPUP TENT CAMPER and I have a PVC POLE up one side to mount my HDTV antenna we use. This works out great for me back in the woods somewhere. Installing my pole after we setup only takes a few minutes. The BATWING Antenna survives the constant putting up and taking down just fine...

Roy's image

If you have the BATWING without the front dipoles that looks like this you can really improve the reception of the new HDTV signals by adding a screw in place dipole kit.

Google image

Google image

DIPOLE KIT
This is just my observations...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob213 wrote:
I still believe the crank up Batwing with the Wingman attachment is the best you are going to find. New digital signal is much harder to receive than old analog signal. Trees, hills, buildings are all enough to disrupt the digital signal. The new stationary "saucer on a stick" antennas are worthless.

Iโ€™ve tried the King Jack, Winegard Automatic, and several others and by far the best overall is the one quoted above. But even the best will not be good enough in remote, wooded, hilly locations. OTA TV has been hit or miss since itโ€™s inception.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
The Wineguard Sensar IV (the latest version from Wineguard) has been shown through testing to be the best over the air antenna available. Combined with the SensarPro (A replacement antenna amplifier); the combo is the best. If you have a Sensar antenna, add the Wingman (snap on, UHF addition, Wingman) it will make the antenna you have nearly as good as the newest Sensar IV.
Check all cable ends and connections. If you are having problems, the connections are the most likely to the cause.
2014 Allegro 36LA

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I still believe the crank up Batwing with the Wingman attachment is the best you are going to find. New digital signal is much harder to receive than old analog signal. Trees, hills, buildings are all enough to disrupt the digital signal. The new stationary "saucer on a stick" antennas are worthless.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand